Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rejuvenation plan for old gas works (Waterside)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Ill be happy once they get the quay down to single lanes. Its like a spanner switch goes off in peoples brains when they realise theres 2 lanes
    i think it,s gonna cause traffica chaos if its brought to a single lane! the single lanes outside the carpark on the quay just says it all if a person is turning right into city square there,s a huge tail back

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Traffic volume on the quay indicates it needs to be two lanes. With buses, double parking, slow drivers, people walking across the road all the time etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Sully wrote: »
    Traffic volume on the quay indicates it needs to be two lanes. With buses, double parking, slow drivers, people walking across the road all the time etc.

But you don't have to pay for a big F*** off bridge and eleven kilometres of dual carriageway!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

References?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Head down most afternoons. There is your reference. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Head down most afternoons. There is your reference. :rolleyes:

First off, I'm not convinced two lanes are needed given the level of traffic. Secondly, the idea of traffic calming is to encourage people to use other routes. The Quay is convenient for motorists at the moment, rather than pedestrians. A lot of traffic are using the old N25 route rather than the bypass. If the Quay wasn't so convenient then the bypass would be more used, which is the whole point.

Looking at other cities around the world with nice quay areas, it's ridiculous the use that we make out of them. A car park and a dual carriageway! It's a joke and it has to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Jayboi Note

Please keep to the topic at hand.
    I'll have no more of you derailing our threads, this thread is for the Rejuvenation plan for old gas works (Waterside) if you would like to talk about new traffic layout on the Quay please do so in the appropriate thread.

Thank you:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I think the 2 lanes at the moment are useless as, in typical Irish fashion, people think the kerb side lane is for double parking, effectively making it a one lane road anyway and more dangerous as people swerve to avoid cars parked in a traffic lane. Bring on the single lane, force trucks out onto bypass, better access for pedestrians to cross the road going in already.

edit......oops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

I would have thought the two lanes were beneficial as, if you are driving towards the Tower, a lot of cars will be turning off (e.g. up Henrietta St.) into oncoming traffic which slows the whole thing down. I come from Bilberry every morning, and with the recent lane changes I'm getting caught in traffic where I wasn't before and having to watch cars fly up the left lane until it changes into one lane and they can try muscle their way in. It's even worse on my way home with all the fools who think they can park in the left lane (on the way to the bridge) to stop at Centra or whatever, not to mention the buses unloading bags and such outside the hotels. There should be proper parking spaces done for the buses first off and better regulation of people just abandoning cars to nip into shops.

Back on topic, :D the rejuvenation plan sounds great! Once the car parks are gone from the Quay the possibilities are endless for the space there! The traffic flow system will have to be a good one on Waterside then though.

merlante wrote: »
    First off, I'm not convinced two lanes are needed given the level of traffic. Secondly, the idea of traffic calming is to encourage people to use other routes. The Quay is convenient for motorists at the moment, rather than pedestrians. A lot of traffic are using the old N25 route rather than the bypass. If the Quay wasn't so convenient then the bypass would be more used, which is the whole point.

Looking at other cities around the world with nice quay areas, it's ridiculous the use that we make out of them. A car park and a dual carriageway! It's a joke and it has to end.

Fair points. Id love to see an improved quay side but there is traffic to justify two lanes there at the moment. If its down to one (which it has been a lot lately) than it turns into mayhem because traffic laws are never enforced and people do what they want like Max above was saying.

Anyway, this is a separate discussion so ill leave at it that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

fricatus wrote: »
    All very sensible stuff. I would suggest that you make some sort of submission on the subject, because no doubt some tosser of an architect will want to put in rockeries and shrubs all around the place to "break up the monotony" of the car park.

Don't forget Chris Doran :D

Chris who? As for "some tosser of an architect will want to put in rockeries" WCC consulted with members of the outdoor entertainment industry to ensure that everything that could do now, at design and build stage could be done is done. But first and foremost it will be a car park.

Advertisement