Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul McCartney?

Options
  • 24-07-2011 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Any guesses on when we might see this living legend playing in Ireland again?

I'm not a huge Beatles fan but I really want to see McCartney while he's still kicking as I've heard great reviews from his shows.

One of my friends knows someone who went and said you've never seen anything until you've seen Paul McCartney live.

As far as I know he's only played Ireland solo about 3 times so seen as how he last played in 2009 and then again in 2010 I'm not sure how likely it is.

Maybe an Aviva gig would be good as the tickets would be a quick sell-out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

He hasn't a hope of selling out the Aviva in the current economic climate. He failed to sell out the RDS in 2003, despite the fact that he'd not played here since The Beatles played the Adelphi Cinema in 1963.
    His 2009 O2 concert unsurprisingly sold out in a flash, but what do you expect, given the prospect of a relatively "intimate" show (by Macca's standards)?
    Having said that, despite the (totally justified) excellent press for the O2 show, a subsequent return to the RDS six months later also failed to sell out, so I don't think any promoter would be willing to take a chance on another big outdoor show.
    Besides, he may not tour again in the immediate future. There's a lot of McCartney activity at the moment, with all the new reissues working their way onto the market over the next year or so (some have obviously been released already), but another tour? Difficult to say.
    Personally, I wouldn't quite agree with the "you've never seen anything until you've seen Paul McCartney live" view. His O2 concert was superb, but there can sometimes be an element of going through the motions - the same set list, the same ad libs, the same song introductions. I know a lot of people have the same onstage schtick, but it was a bit unfortunate when - for example - all the anecdotes and jokes on the Good Evening New York City DVD were delivered verbatim in Dublin.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

He hasn't a hope of selling out the Aviva in the current economic climate. He failed to sell out the RDS in 2003, despite the fact that he'd not played here since The Beatles played the Adelphi Cinema in 1963.
    His 2009 O2 concert unsurprisingly sold out in a flash, but what do you expect, given the prospect of a relatively "intimate" show (by Macca's standards)?
    Having said that, despite the (totally justified) excellent press for the O2 show, a subsequent return to the RDS six months later also failed to sell out, so I don't think any promoter would be willing to take a chance on another big outdoor show.
    Besides, he may not tour again in the immediate future. There's a lot of McCartney activity at the moment, with all the new reissues working their way onto the market over the next year or so (some have obviously been released already), but another tour? Difficult to say.
    Personally, I wouldn't quite agree with the "you've never seen anything until you've seen Paul McCartney live" view. His O2 concert was superb, but there can sometimes be an element of going through the motions - the same set list, the same ad libs, the same song introductions. I know a lot of people have the same onstage schtick, but it was a bit unfortunate when - for example - all the anecdotes and jokes on the Good Evening New York City DVD were delivered verbatim in Dublin.

Thanks for the reply.

I know McCartney's old but most legends like him do have a tendency not having any desire to retire from music.

I actually don't care anymore if its in Ireland or not, I'll be going to see him next time he's in England if there's no Irish dates.

Thing is British dates would be quicker sold out since there is such a larger population there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

yo kareokeman. i've been to him live and i gotta say it was one of the greatest nights of my life.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

yo kareokeman. i've been to him live and i gotta say it was one of the greatest nights of my life.

I 2nd that , i was at the rds show and even though you knew that all the talk/actions were the same as every other show he was doing it was still unreal. For a guy at this age who can play for nearly 3 hours with no break

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I 3rd that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

He was very good at the RDS, but for me the gig was nearly ruined by the stupid 30 rows of seats at the front, just ruined the atmosphere a bit for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

He was very good at the RDS, but for me the gig was nearly ruined by the stupid 30 rows of seats at the front, just ruined the atmosphere a bit for me

I was at the O2 gig - it was one of the best concerts I was ever at (and I have been to many shows). It was so good I was all set to go to the RDS and I was on the verge of buying tickets for those front row seats but, in the end, couldnt justify the €150 cost of the tickets. I can well imagine the effects those seats had on those standing back behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I would 4th that and my father would 5th that, the best gig I have ever been too and ever will be at, the hairs stood on the back of my neck during the "Hey Jude" sing along. If you ever get the chance to see him take it, whether its in this country or not

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭bren2001

threein99 wrote: »
    I would 4th that and my father would 5th that, the best gig I have ever been too and ever will be at, the hairs stood on the back of my neck during the "Hey Jude" sing along. If you ever get the chance to see him take it, whether its in this country or not

Ill 6th it. Saw him at the RDS and he was unreal. Annoying that there was a load of seats in front of us tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Yea, I can only agree with whats already been said. Amazing live and you certainly get your moneys worth for the length of time he plays for. Also his voice is still very very good and when he plays live, the songs still sound like they do on CD. By that I mean he doesnt do a Bob Dylan on them and completely rehash the songs to the point that they are unrecognisable. Standout moments are always going to be the singalongs from the crowd to Hey Jude and Let It Be but the highlight for me was when I heard him play the first few chords of A Day In The Life. Never expected him to play it and Im not ashamed to admit I had tears in my eyes. I was at the most recent RDS gig. Hope he comes back again and judging by his performance, there is plenty of life left in the old dog yet.

• Advertisement

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Yea, I can only agree with whats already been said. Amazing live and you certainly get your moneys worth for the length of time he plays for. Also his voice is still very very good and when he plays live, the songs still sound like they do on CD. By that I mean he doesnt do a Bob Dylan on them and completely rehash the songs to the point that they are unrecognisable. Standout moments are always going to be the singalongs from the crowd to Hey Jude and Let It Be but the highlight for me was when I heard him play the first few chords of A Day In The Life. Never expected him to play it and Im not ashamed to admit I had tears in my eyes. I was at the most recent RDS gig. Hope he comes back again and judging by his performance, there is plenty of life left in the old dog yet.

My favourite Beatles song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

threein99 wrote: »
    My favourite Beatles song

Yea its my favourite too. Still gets me every time I hear it. And it's so suited to Johns voice - so much so that I don't recall ever hearing a decent cover version of it by anyone. It's as brilliant a song today as it was back then, and even in 100 years time it will still be one of the greatest tracks ever written imho.

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Yea its my favourite too. Still gets me every time I hear it. And it's so suited to Johns voice - so much so that I don't recall ever hearing a decent cover version of it by anyone. It's as brilliant a song today as it was back then, and even in 100 years time it will still be one of the greatest tracks ever written imho.

I dont think anyone has ever done a decent Beatles cover, you cant improve an perfection.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Paul McCartney - On The Run - 2011 Tour Dates are as follows:

Sunday 13th November - Grand Prix Circuit, Yas Arena, Yas Island Abu Dhabi, U.A.E
    Saturday 26th November - Unipol Arena, Bologna, Italy
    Sunday 27th November - Mediolanumforum, Milan, Italy
    Wednesday 30th November - Omnisport Arena, Bercy, Paris, France
    Thursday 1st December - Laxness Arena, Koln, Germany
    Monday 5th December - O2 Arena, London, England
    Saturday 10th December - The Globen, Stockholm, Sweden
    Monday 12th December - The Hartwall Arena, Helsinki, Finland
    Wednesday 14th December - The Olympinski Arena, Moscow, Russia
    Monday 19th December - The MEN Arena, Manchester, England
    Tuesday 20th December - The Echo Arena, Liverpool, England

Tickets for Paul McCartney's UK shows are on general sale this Thursday, October 13th at 9am, priced from £55 +fees.

No Irish Date though and would'nt be surprised if we dont get one. Although if we do i hope its not expensive since its costs £60 over in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

His new wife will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Resurrecting a thread :) Paul has announced a concert in Warsaw Poland in June, most likely followed by European tour. I missed him last time around so here's hoping :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Advertisement