Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the furthest you've cycled to work?

• 24-07-2011 8:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

im starten a new job next week and its about 23km/14 miles away. getting there by public transport is a pain in the hole, it can take up to 2 hours or more. just wondering if i invested in a decent bike would i be able to cover this distance on a daily basis and how long would it normally take?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Should be easyable covered. Should take no more than an hour. Used to do a 5 mile commute in about 20 to 25 minutes in London. Compared to 45 to 60 minutes via the tube and buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well I cycle a MTB 35km to work and that takes about 1h 30min. I'm told that were I to get myself a road bike I could cut that down to about 1h.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

paky wrote: »
    im starting a new job next week and its about 23km/14 miles away. getting there by public transport is a pain in the hole, it can take up to 2 hours or more. just wondering if i invested in a decent bike would i be able to cover this distance on a daily basis and how long would it normally take?

Can be when cycling to ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Well I cycle a MTB 35km to work and that takes about 1h 30min. I'm told that were I to get myself a road bike I could cut that down to about 1h.

MTB is a mountain bike right? do you do the return?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I started off a 4 years ago commuting 23km each way - it took me around an hour then. I can do it in under 40 minutes now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

You could easily do that in less than a hour with a reasonable bike.

Forget about a mountain bike unless your workplace is at the top of a mountain or at least at the end of a very rough road!!

Have a search and a read of some of the threads to get an idea for the type of bike you might like, and what's involved.

Beasty wrote: »
    I started off a 4 years ago commuting 23km each way - it took me around an hour then. I can do it in under 40 minutes now

nice one, thats very motivating. is there a need to a shower after cycling that distance or how do you manage?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

nice one, thats very motivating. is there a need to a shower after cycling that distance or how do you manage?

At sub-40 minutes, yes! Some make do with baby wipes though ....

At sub-40 minutes, yes! Some make do with baby wipes though ....

is it pretty taxing on the body though? would you be pretty tired at the end of the day?

is it pretty taxing on the body though? would you be pretty tired at the end of the day?

You'll be surprised at how quickly you get fit. Start off by working up to doing the distance.

Then cycle in one morning, public transport home in the evening. Public transport in the next morning and cycle home in the afternoon. Couple of days of that then start cycling in and out in one day - and you're off!!

I usually take one day a week to drive in to replenish clothing supplies and bring home the laundry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 concretehead73

i used to do 55 km in morning and same in the evening 3 days a week now working closer so have 22km 5 days a week , the spray bottle with a bit of shower gel is your only man.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭jinghong

I used to do 18km on a mtb. Nice spin. Got a road bike after a while. MTB was hard on the thighs, or maybe I was soft.

What I find is I continue to sweat for 15 mins after getting off the bike. Baby wipes dont solve that, in hot weather.

nice one lads, thanks for the advice. im gunnen for it now!!! GO ON YA BOYA!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mysticalman

Years ago I cycled from Rathfarnham to Hollywood in Wicklow and back for about 3 weeks. 80km round trip. Lost about 2 stone. One day one of the pedals snapped off about 7km from Hollywood so I had to pedal with one pedal. Not easy. Got pedal fixed when I got to work.

Years ago I cycled from Rathfarnham to Hollywood in Wicklow and back for about 3 weeks. 80km round trip. Lost about 2 stone. One day one of the pedals snapped off about 7km from Hollywood so I had to pedal with one pedal. Not easy. Got pedal fixed when I got to work.

lol i just finished abook there which was written back in the 1920s. the author claimed that it was not unusual for people to cycle from say cork to dublin to watch an all ireland final back then. that was what set the idea in my head

Can you access the Cycle to Work scheme?

Plenty of info on here about it and you can get a lot of bike for your money on it.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Can you access the Cycle to Work scheme?

Plenty of info on here about it and you can get a lot of bike for your money on it.

how does that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

I do N.Dublin (santry) to Blessington return about 3 days a week, 85km round trip. I mix and match when I cycle and drive so dont end up a heap by the end of the week. I found really slowing down the pace the last few km's helps with any sweating issues when u hop off. After that its a couple of baby wipes and a shower in a can.

nice one. may aswel go all in and get myself something expensive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

lol i just finished abook there which was written back in the 1920s. the author claimed that it was not unusual for people to cycle from say cork to dublin to watch an all ireland final back then. that was what set the idea in my head
    I know that back in the day some of my antecedents used to cycle to Dublin for special events, but that was only from Kildare.

Patrick Kavanagh mentions walking from Monaghan to Dublin in The Green Fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

MTB is a mountain bike right? do you do the return?

I do and that's a few minutes quicker. As folk have mentioned, for long distances a road bike really would be better.

(MTB is indeed a mountain bike)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

That's some pace for a commute! Did the increase in speed come naturally due to repetition, or has racing/training been key to improvement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

just make sure you get a road bike

im back up on the bike after years of being a lazy petrol guzzling git and it takes me about 50 mins to do your kind of distance

i had been using a mountain bike till last week and you would be adding best part of 20 mins to that journey

if you are on the higher tax rate, spend the whole grand, it will only cost you 480 ... happy dayz!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

50km each way. Only on the odd day during summer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

My commute is 32K each way. I'm up to 3 days a week both ways now. Started off just cycling in one day, home the next a few days a week and built up from there. We have a shower in the office though and I need it when I get there (though I could probably get away with baby wipes). I have it down to around 1 hour 15 minutes each way average now.

That's good going on a MTB. I think you'd be doing well to average 35Km/h even on a road bike unless there are no traffic lights on your route. They really kill your average speed.

RT66 wrote: »
    That's some pace for a commute! Did the increase in speed come naturally due to repetition, or has racing/training been key to improvement?
    Repetition - basically I did the same journey, initially 1 or 2 times a week, building up to 3 or 4 times (and adding distance to the return leg), and I did it all year round

It's typically a bit faster during the summer.

To illustrate the improvements made (data just goes back to April 2008, I was a bit slower before then, and the distances varied depending on route chosen) - fastest average one-way speed:
    April 2008 - 24.2kph
    Sep 2008 - 29.1kph
    Mar 2009 - 31.2kph
    Aug 2009 - 33.8kph
    May 2010 - 34.4kph
    Oct 2010 - 34.8kph
    Jun 2011 - 35.2kph

All of these times were "wind assisted" to varying degrees
    One day I'll give it a go with the aero bars;)

I only started racing last year, and you will see some improvement since then. However I'm now more in "recovery" mode when commuting over the summer months, so tend to have less opportunities to give it a real go ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

I communte 20km each way twice a week in around 55mins (traffic lights etc.)
    I have a shower at work and have a light back pack thats just big enough for work clothes and a towel & soap.

Doing this on a steel MTB with 'slick' tyres. Road bike will be in use as soon as the work settle the invoice on the Bike to Work scheme :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

@ Beasty: Thats impressive.
    It looks like I'll be starting a 45km (each way) commute in a few weeks, looking forward to it....

• Advertisement

@ Beasty: Thats impressive.
    It looks like I'll be starting a 45km (each way) commute in a few weeks, looking forward to it....
    The great thing about commuting longer distances is it brings a lot (if not all) of your training into the daily routine. You are also likely to be on country roads which means a lot less stopping and starting (even on my commute, I reckon junctions, roundabouts and lights cost me over 1kph on average)

and I did it all year round

So are you cycling in the filthy winter cold and rain? I'm conscious that my first cycling winter isn't a million miles away and wondering how it's going to affect the regularity of my commute.

Khannie wrote: »
    So are you cycling in the filthy winter cold and rain? I'm conscious that my first cycling winter isn't a million miles away and wondering how it's going to affect the regularity of my commute.

Get some decent kit, winterfy the bike and plan to cycle and you'll be fine..........and winter endorphins feel a lot better than summer ones.

Also remember rule #9 :)

I'll be commuting much more over the winter than over the summer, as I won't have any racing to worry about

Last winter December became almost impossible to cycle because of the snow and ice, and I also lost a lot of January because of a round the world business trip (the warmth of California, Australia and Singapore made up for it though;))

I'll stick some mudguards on and start wearing some warmer clothing, but cycling through the winter doesn't really bother me unless there is ice about

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Dun Laoghaire to Blanch, think its about 25km, took about 75 mins due to the traffic lights around the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭JOHN_70

41 km each way, I use a road bike with mudguards and rack so using a rack bag allows me to carry a certain amount of stuff with me, and we have showers at work. I started last year as a means of getting in some extra training for sportives etc, took the winter off and got back into it around March/April this year. Initially 2 days a week, then 3, and last week I cycled all 5 days. I'm actually getting to the point where I detest any day I need to travel by car, so I will try to keep it going into the winter this year, although maybe not every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Like Beasty, I'll be cycling through this winter as I've done the last couple.

The key is warm clothing. Duh, but so easy to overlook it. Layers are key, layers everywhere. Last year I wore two pairs of socks (one thin, one thick), and overshoes if it was windy. Two pairs of gloves on my hands. 3 layers on top; 2 base layers and windproof winter jersey. Cap on my head under the helmet. General rule is that if you get colder as you ride, you're not wearing enough, so buy more.

It was -10 one morning last winter, think that was the worst, but being out on the bike in such ridiculous temps and not really feeling the cold that badly is exhilarating. There's something indescribable about spinning around on a bike as the sun rises on an impossibly cold, yet crisp and beautiful winter's morning.

Of course for the cold, not crisp, wet and miserable days, of which there are plenty, decent gear is a must. If you don't have overshoes, good gloves, a rain jacket and fleece-lined bib tights, then you won't be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

at the risk of sounding like a tool

What are overshoes?

I know - it's a bit like Harrods opening their Christmas section yesterday -we're not even out of July yet, but we did have Winter - the thread last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

The greatest gift man has ever invented. I'm on my phone so i'll let someone else post a link. They are like wooly hats for your feet!

stevieob wrote: »
    at the risk of sounding like a tool

What are overshoes?

There is no sounding like a tool. I have done all the tool-worthy questions. :pac:

Endura-Road-Cycling-Overshoe-250x183.jpg

• Advertisement

I know - it's a bit like Harrods opening their Christmas section yesterday -we're not even out of July yet, but we did have Winter - the thread last year

Oh I just can't wait to buy stuff. :D

I'm going to go with winter boots this year - the overshoes are ok, but they have their limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 brian807

get a good road bike, should be possible 55minutes each way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Wow, is that door to door or pure on-the-move time? I have about 14kms each way and I struggle to keep this under 30mins door to door and something like 26 sets of traffic lights!

You're in group 4 this Wednesday fella!

Hungrycol wrote: »

Wow, is that door to door or pure on-the-move time? I have about 14kms each way and I struggle to keep this under 30mins door to door and something like 26 sets of traffic lights!

You're in group 4 this Wednesday fella!
    On the move. Only 5 sets of lights over 23km though. Racing with the vets tonight and hopefully at the track tomorrow (weather permitting) so giving 3 x Ardcath a miss ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Last winter was great, all those horror stories from my colleagues stuck in traffic or trains for 5, 6, 7 hours, and I was getting a couple of hours free winter sports in, morning and night.

Advertisement