Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jack Russel Cross - Chewing outside

• 24-07-2011 8:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭

i have a just turned 1 year old jack russel ****zu cross

when she is left alone outside in the back see goes a bit wild.(she is a house dog)

as in trowing and chewing a mat
    pulling a light wooden fence off a wall and chewing it
    chewing wodden stick holding up clothes line.

any ideas on how to stop her doing this
    she has lots of toys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 vicki3_2001

Hi Dunworth,

I'm having a similar problem, i have a miniature Jack Russel, he's 2.
    When out the back, he eats/chews up everything!! Tearing clothes down from the washing line and chewing holes in them! He ate his plastic water bowl, pulls the door mat all over the garden!! A golf club was left out there and he checwed the whole grip off the club!!
    We're at our wits end at the moment! I'm not sure if he's bold and attention seeking or if maybe he needs to be calmed by being neutered or something!!

have you gotten any helpful suggestions about this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

Hi :) I too know the destruction of a dog outside for even half an hour, our back garden is more hole than ground at this stage :D Have you tried maybe giving him a Kong when he's out there? might distract him for a bit anyway and keep his mind active on something other than destroying your garden :) Give our Lab a frozen Kong keeps her amused for a good while, especially after a long walk, so she's too tired and full to bother digging or ripping up things!

Hi,

Can i ask whats a Kong?
    I'll happily try anything at this stage!!! cost me 60e last week to replace my brothers hoodie that he ate!! so open to anything at this stage!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

a kong is a toy that will keep a dog occupied for ages... you can fill them with Pate.... low fat philly cheese etc:

http://www.zooplus.ie/ask?query=kong&num=20

what about this toys... stuff it with treats and he will have to work to get the food out etc...a treat wobbler...

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/intelligence_games/treat_toys_dogs/183630

with regard to chewing the wood etc...

this stuff is excellent.. you can get it in any equine store... or order it line... its to stop horses chewing on their stable doors / fences... I used this with my cocker when he was wrecking my shed and deck... works a treat! :D

http://www.triequestrian.ie/tri-equestrian-product-categories/for-the-horse/detail/95-cribbing-products/youjoomla/1844-crib-halt.html?sef=hcfp

Hi Dunworth,

I'm having a similar problem, i have a miniature Jack Russel, he's 2.
    When out the back, he eats/chews up everything!! Tearing clothes down from the washing line and chewing holes in them! He ate his plastic water bowl, pulls the door mat all over the garden!! A golf club was left out there and he checwed the whole grip off the club!!
    We're at our wits end at the moment! I'm not sure if he's bold and attention seeking or if maybe he needs to be calmed by being neutered or something!!

have you gotten any helpful suggestions about this issue?

Firstly you should neuter your dog.. for health reasons etc.. and it will help chill him out a bit

secondly this level of destruction is down to boredom... how often is he walked?? what type of toys do you have to enterian him while he is alone??

some suggestions to keep him occupied:

http://www.zooplus.ie/feedback/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/intelligence_games/treat_toys_dogs/183630

http://www.zooplus.ie/ask?query=kong&num=20

http://www.zooplus.ie/feedback/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/intelligence_games/146815

also dogs can be destructive and hyper due to their food.... what are you feeding your dogs??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

How much exercise is the dog getting? If you take him out for a long walk in the morning and again in the evening it should tire him out and make him less inclined to waste energy tearing the place apart. Also the Kong toy is a great invention - stuff with tasty treats and a dog will spend hours trying to clean it out - you can even buy Kong spray which is a paste that you put into the top of the Kong and is supposed to be very tasty - have not tried it myself lol. If the problem persists you might want to fence off an area that you can give over to the dog so at least you wont have the place totally trashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

The kongs really are great, I use left over veggies and rice, sardines or other fish, peanut butter, sometimes some wet food, mash it into the kong (I sometimes add some dry nuts too) and freeze it.
    Take it out a few mins before giving to the dog, they last about an hour for my dogs, depends what you put in them.
    Walking them more may help too, I walk mine first thing in the morning, straight after work and again before bed. between the walks and kongs and the treat balls they have to work to get the food out, my dogs sleep a lot. A tired dog is a happy dog!;)

thanks for all the suggestions. i've just ordered a Kong.
    Toy wise, he has balls and bones, but just tears them apart!!!

At the moment I've only been walking him once a day for 20 - 60 mins depending on the day! so that could have something to do with it. I'll try to fit in a 2nd walk, see if that'll make a difference.

Food wise.. he's on dry pellets for the summer and left over dinner meat.. he's prob over fed than under fed!!

He's rarely home alone to be honest, and the kiddies play with him a lot.. it just seems to be his early morning routine to pull down any washing left on the line.

thanks for all the suggestions :)

OP... you mentioned he gets feed dry pellets??

what is the brand? where do you get them?

These maybe be causing him to be hyper :o

Oh Really? I'll check the brand etc tonight and let you know.. i'm at work at the moment!

• Advertisement

Oh Really? I'll check the brand etc tonight and let you know.. i'm at work at the moment!

cool.... its just i had my cocker on dried food.. when he was the devil puppy... but it wasnt great quality...(i didnt know at the time)..... my dog trainer and vet told me to chain to another brand... and it made a massive diffrence... :P

Advertisement