Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another inherited phonewatch problem

Options
  • 24-07-2011 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi, I recently inherited an eircom phonewatch on which the monitoring has been disabled but the alarm has started warning about a low battery. I've the same system as micky_32 here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70995004

When we moved in we received a letter saying it would cost €90 to have it disconnected completely and if we decided not to do that it may generate phone calls which we can be charged for. I've had an eircom phone connected to the house but don't fancy paying for phone calls because the alarm has a low battery. Is there any way I can figure out which battery needs changing. I removed the lid from sensor 10 and now the status mentions sensor 10 tampered with as well as the low battery. Does the main unit use a battery also? Is there a way I can replace that and reset the unit. It would also be great if I could set it not to call out or to call my own number.

Any help or tips appreciated greatly.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭altor

That is a joke being charged that amount when they can easily tell you over the phone how to delete the numbers it is using to contact the monitoring station on.
    Drop lid, enter engineer code, delete option 04 done, delete option 05 done, delete option 06 done. That is how easy it is :D
    Most people also have a package set up for phone calls from Eircom so they are covered for all phone calls made from the alarm system.
    I have a lot of these systems going to another monitoring station but they never ring the customer to inform them its not sending in the test call but are sending out the bill for the monitoring for the year. Some never cancelled the direct debit they had set up so where still billed by P.W even though they are not monitoring the alarm any more :eek:

If you press the status button then it will tell you what zone is tampered, what this means is the lids are not sitting correctly against the spring in the sensor. You will see a sort of cup on the inside of the sensor lid where the spring goes in to.
    Pressing the status button will also give you a list of any batteries that need changing, if one sensor has a low battery I would advise you to replace them all.
    If you hear system low battery, that is the battery in the main control panel that needs replacing.

Any problems, let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 paulyg

Altor,
    That's brilliant. Thanks so much for your help. There doesn't seem to be any option 4,5 or 6. I've disabled most of them so the only active option now is 2. The complete list is 1,2,3,31,36,37,41,42,43,55,81,82.

Did you mention somewhere else that the engineer code could be found there? Is the engineer code the same as the disarm code that I have? I have an original doc for the unit which were provided to the original owners, it has the account number and another number listed on it..

Also, is there an easy way to get the unit open or do I need to rip it off the wall to get access to the battery? I can't see any visible screws or catches to get it open.

Once again, thanks for your help.

paulyg wrote: »
    Altor,
    That's brilliant. Thanks so much for your help. There doesn't seem to be any option 4,5 or 6. I've disabled most of them so the only active option now is 2. The complete list is 1,2,3,31,36,37,41,42,43,55,81,82.

Did you mention somewhere else that the engineer code could be found there? Is the engineer code the same as the disarm code that I have? I have an original doc for the unit which were provided to the original owners, it has the account number and another number listed on it..

Also, is there an easy way to get the unit open or do I need to rip it off the wall to get access to the battery? I can't see any visible screws or catches to get it open.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Why did you do that :confused:
    If you have the paper work you have the engineer code.
    The engineer code is used to delete the missing options :P
    When you drop the front lid there is a second lid at the back to drop to get at the battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 paulyg

Didn't know what the codes were at the time and was panicking so just disabled any that were enabled :p
    does the fact that 4, 5 and 6 don't exist mean that they've been deleted already then? I'm guessing I'm wandering into stupid question territory now :)

paulyg wrote: »
    Didn't know what the codes were at the time and was panicking so just disabled any that were enabled :p
    does the fact that 4, 5 and 6 don't exist mean that they've been deleted already then? I'm guessing I'm wandering into stupid question territory now :)

If you enter the user code then them options are not available to you. If you enter the engineer code then they are.

It is to stop people deleting options they know nothing about :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

I think this goes to show that like many things in life it's only easy if you know what your doing.Otherwise you pay for the expertise. Otherwise some lad on the internet might just make matters worse.

I would disagree with you there, most of the information posted in this forum is what an installer would do when servicing or fault finding on an alarm system.
    If you read what information he was given and what he did they where two different things.

Like a lot of other people who use this forum if he came back I would of talked him through doing a re install of the system.

Not too bad from :
    Huntthe wrote: »
    some lad on the internet might just make matters worse.

Advertisement