Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork v Mayo All Ireland Quarter Final - Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

Just back from Croker and am completely numb, shocked and disappointed, absolutely gutted in fact. I didn't see this coming at all, especially after 15 minutes. We were doing everything right, quick ball into Donnacha and scoring for fun. The rest of the game was just a nightmare, we started messing about with the ball, countless turnovers and let Mayo back into the game. When the game was in the melting pot in the 2nd half we had no leaders, I could single out a few but the whole team must take responsibility. We "hit the wall" and had no answer to Mayo, players seemed to run out of steam and Mayo did to us what we've been doing to other teams, running from the half backline in numbers, creating overlaps and kicking easy scores. Canty should never have come on, after 5 minutes on the field he was out on his feet, the same for Nicholas Murphy, not match fit at all.
    I have to say though that there was an air of inevitability about this result today. Sitting in the Metro I was involved in several conversations about Cork and Kerry in the semi, very little mention about today's game. If that's the way the supporters felt I'm sure some of the players must have thought that as well, very serious complacency and we got our comeuppance. I didn't think it was a great game in terms of quality, and I include Mayo in that as well. Most of the game was played between the two 40's, players running down blind alleys and turnovers galore. Fair play to Mayo though, they wanted it more and deserved their victory. Horan managed very well on the line today, when Mayo went a point up he put 2 fresh half forwards on, made them come back to the half back line to create the blanket and broke at speed to set up scores.
    As for us, as disappointed as I am I had a great chat with an Armagh man on the train home, he pointed out that Cork have been in 7 All Ireland Finals in the last 8 years in hurling and football, so I suppose we should be glad of a good run. This team will be back again, maybe minus 1 or 2 next year but it'll give the younger lads a chance to break through. As bad as I feel tonight I know the future is bright for Cork football, well done again to Mayo, a richly deserved victory. Comghairdeas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Charledontsurf

We looked a tired team. Too gutted to say anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

We looked a tired team. Too gutted to say anything else.

I could never see todays result happening but nothing is ever certain in sport. That is Cork football, it can be top class or absolutely dreadful stuff and today was the later. This was similiar to loosing to Fermanagh in 2004.

IMO we need new players in from the u21's, juniors, minors, or whatever level we have talented players. IMO how does Pierce O Neill make this team? He is barely average along with Aidan Walsh ,Paudie Kissane, and Alan O Connor. We surely have better players in Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

have no complaints,were beaten well today,always think mayo are capable of pulling off a big one every so often and they did. unfortunately not 3 big ones in one year but we,ll see.cork can not play with less than 55to 60% possesion and today mayo were cleaning up.especially with the fowards missing.kerry cant belive they will win such a soft all ireland but watch out there is a shark in the water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

It may or may not be plain sailing for kerry who knows, its still any ones games between dublin/tryone v donegal, kerry v mayo and the final!

• Advertisement

keep going wrote: »
    have no complaints,were beaten well today,always think mayo are capable of pulling off a big one every so often and they did. unfortunately not 3 big ones in one year but we,ll see.cork can not play with less than 55to 60% possesion and today mayo were cleaning up.especially with the fowards missing.kerry cant belive they will win such a soft all ireland but watch out there is a shark in the water

After today, nothing is certain but I think its Kerrys to loose. If Tyrone win next week, I think they will be the one to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Never say never.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good to see todays result have left us as top dog! :)

Outright Betting Hide
    Kerry 8/11
    Dublin 9/2
    Donegal 13/2
    Tyrone 13/2
    Mayo 7/1

Not that we would be too bothered about that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Seriously? Great contribution to the thread, Mayo fans like you are the reason why Ive backed Cork to the hilt and am looking forward to the walloping there going to give ye on Sunday
    I live in Galway but im from Limerick and I support Limerick. Do not support Galway, dont know where you got that impression from. Anyways I'm really looking forward to the match on Sunday and my winnings:).
    No wont be laughing, will just have a nice smarmy smile on my face come Sunday evening.:) We can come on here on Sunday evening and compare scores.Mayo are in for a good beating and I wouldnt usually take pleasure in that, but with guys like your man back there I will be glad of it this time

And with the odds, you should check that out with the bookies yourself, i know what I'm betting on and know what I'm about to win:)

So its Sunday evening, can we discuss :D
    Pity about the 200 quid you lost and the hammering poor Limerick took ;)

Bet we won't see you on here again though. :)

Moran deserved MOM, hope to heck now the boys dont get carried away! :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

teednab-el wrote: »
    I could never see todays result happening but nothing is ever certain in sport. That is Cork football, it can be top class or absolutely dreadful stuff and today was the later. This was similiar to loosing to Fermanagh in 2004.

IMO we need new players in from the u21's, juniors, minors, or whatever level we have talented players. IMO how does Pierce O Neill make this team? He is barely average along with Aidan Walsh ,Paudie Kissane, and Alan O Connor. We surely have better players in Cork.

I remember being at that game. In the second half it looked like everytime they kicked at goal it went over - I couldn't believe it, every time!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

yop wrote: »

Fair play Yop, great to see some humble pie not being eaten by a Mayo man :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Thought Mayo were very lucky to win that game.
    They were loosing up to the 43rd minute.
    The Cork managers tactics were all over the place.
    Ana cork were dealing with much tougher conditions than Mayo had playing into the canal goal in the second half, hence them only getting a single point in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Ana cork were dealing with much tougher conditions than Mayo had playing into the canal goal in the second half, hence them only getting a single point in the second half.
    :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I agree with the managers tactics being all over the place - started with fast ball to the forwards to great success and then nothing but slow handpassing. But the rest of the post... no.

No way were Mayo lucky to win today. Only one team wanted it the 2nd half. I've never seen a Mayo team so up for it than today. Luck had nothing to do with it, it was desire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

ColeTrain wrote: »
    No way were Mayo lucky to win today. Only one team wanted it the 2nd half. I've never seen a Mayo team so up for it than today. Luck had nothing to do with it, it was desire.

Read this thread from a few days back regarding Mayo being very lucky v Ross.
    Sorry I cannot find the sarcaism button on this phone I am using

Your right, Mayo were hungry, they completely cleaned Cork out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Ah, I'm just Loving it right now, I really am.

Short lived as it may be, I have to enjoy it when it comes really...

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

yea tougher conditions ie mayo defending

Fair play Yop, great to see some humble pie not being eaten by a Mayo man :)

99.9% of the fans here and at the match were sound Cork people, its "posters" like mystic Meg, who make statements and ask to meet back here to discuss. We are all fit to take a beating and in fairness to Shamobuc who got it a bit (**cough cough**) wrong least he had the go-nads to come on here to acknowledge it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Don't forget the fact the weather conditions were worse for Cork in the 2nd half!

Read this thread from a few days back regarding Mayo being very lucky v Ross.
    Sorry I cannot find the sarcaism button on this phone I am using

sorry mate, I was confused because I remembered you arguing the Mayo cause.

99.9% of the fans here and at the match were sound Cork people, its "posters" like mystic Meg, who make statements and ask to meet back here to discuss. We are all fit to take a beating and in fairness to Shamobuc who got it a bit (**cough cough**) wrong least he had the go-nads to come on here to acknowledge it! :)

Bang on there, Shamobuc and many others from Cork have been on and acknowledged what has been the upset of the season.

Plenty of the "Neutrals" however have been not quite so capable. I myself had my doubts before the game, but some of the sheite on here beforehand......

Credit where credit is due - its here to be seen on this thread for any doubters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Jaysus, you guys!

Well done again, glad to see a Roscommon man won at least one of the MOM awards this weekend.. sorry, can't help myself :pac:

Exactly like I said earlier, nothing against the Cork fans who predicted we'd get beat, thought it myself tbh but It's great getting one up on the trolls..I'm celebrating tonight because it's a great day for Mayo GAA...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I really hope ye push on now and give Kerry a proper game unlike 04 and 06. Much of this team has no baggage from those days though. It'd be some All Ireland for Mayo to win now.

Exactly like I said earlier, nothing against the Cork fans who predicted we'd get beat, thought it myself tbh but It's great getting one up on the trolls..I'm celebrating tonight because it's a great day for Mayo GAA...

Mayo have now beaten Kerry, Dublin, Galway, Cork , Tyrone in championship. That's impressive.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    I really hope ye push on now and give Kerry a proper game unlike 04 and 06. Much of this team has no baggage from those days though. It'd be some All Ireland for Mayo to win now.

Feck all of this team was even playing. Some were playing Minors - its a different team.

That said though, this Kerry team are a different class altogether, so we are up against it again in 3 weeks....

Blackjack wrote: »
    WallyGUFC wrote: »

Feck all of this team was even playing. Some were playing Minors - its a different team.

That said though, this Kerry team are a different class altogether, so we are up against it again in 3 weeks....

Mayo going in as underdogs like today will help yer cause though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I was one of the Kerry's "five" supporters in Croke Park today (well according ShamoBuc) and was absolutely delighted to see Cork beat, today like in Killarney they were exposed as the most overrated team to ever win an All-Ireland, everything I myself wrote about them and even Joe Brolly wrote came through.

I was hoping to see Kerry give Cork more nightmares in Croker but anyday I see Cork getting beat is a good one from a Kerry and Neutral perspective. Mayo on the other hand have set off all sorts of alarm bells in the Kingdom, and one things for sure they have nothing to fear of Kerry and if Mayo played like they did today they will create problems for Kerry all over the park.

Cork are inconsistent and Mayo ground them down by taking a leaf out of Kerry's book and played pure vintage football and used the long direct play and moved the ball ball at lightning speed and with Aidan O'Shea cleaning Cork out at mid-field (his mothers from Kerry) so I was delighted to see him shining. Mayo should have hammered Cork out of sight and were guilty of a some terrible stuff and should have had a penalty in 1st half. Cork were lethargic and reminded me of a rabbit stuck in the headlights and were very arrogant and had a mentality of yerra we'll turn up and hammer ten shades of sh1te out of them, instead they rumbled that sleeping giant we had been talking about on the forum hear earlier. "Noelie" O'Leary got taken off and was at sea for much of the game, a certain tatooed nemesis of his must have a good laugh at that.

Cork got lucky in 2010 when Eoin Cadogan got Paul Galvin sent off and the CCCC went on to cripple Kerry, Today Cork were crippled without some of their men and Down were a flash in the pan who rose to the occasion like Mayo did today. Really in 2010 the All-Ireland should have been won by Kildare and if Kerry were there this Cork team would not have won Sam.

It was a poor crowd and Cork and Mayo were clearly in the Majority, it was misty and light drizzle all day which made the surface greasey and when I saw Canty introduced I knew Cork were gone.

A good day at the office and Kerry and Mayo will be thriller. And even better was to see Cork flushed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Stinicker wrote: »
    yera....yera...yera

Don't feed this troll....he seems to be very hungry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

i only hope now Mayo can go the next two games and win it the All-Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Two things however.

1) Kerry aren't foolish enough to underrate us, they never are.

2) The media won't write us off after beating the champions, no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Ah look lads I'm a Meathman who loves a good match and goodluck to 'onweeoooh' coz they bucked the trend and thats what the GAA is all about, 1 chance in 32

I was one of the Kerry's "five" supporters in Croke Park today (well according ShamoBuc) and was absolutely delighted to see Cork beat, today like in Killarney they were exposed as the most overrated team to ever win an All-Ireland, everything I myself wrote about them and even Joe Brolly wrote came through.

I was hoping to see Kerry give Cork more nightmares in Croker but anyday I see Cork getting beat is a good one from a Kerry and Neutral perspective. Mayo on the other hand have set off all sorts of alarm bells in the Kingdom, and one things for sure they have nothing to fear of Kerry and if Mayo played like they did today they will create problems for Kerry all over the park.

Cork are inconsistent and Mayo ground them down by taking a leaf out of Kerry's book and played pure vintage football and used the long direct play and moved the ball ball at lightning speed and with Aidan O'Shea cleaning Cork out at mid-field (his mothers from Kerry) so I was delighted to see him shining. Mayo should have hammered Cork out of sight and were guilty of a some terrible stuff and should have had a penalty in 1st half. Cork were lethargic and reminded me of a rabbit stuck in the headlights and were very arrogant and had a mentality of yerra we'll turn up and hammer ten shades of sh1te out of them, instead they rumbled that sleeping giant we had been talking about on the forum hear earlier. "Noelie" O'Leary got taken off and was at sea for much of the game, a certain tatooed nemesis of his must have a good laugh at that.

Cork got lucky in 2010 when Eoin Cadogan got Paul Galvin sent off and the CCCC went on to cripple Kerry, Today Cork were crippled without some of their men and Down were a flash in the pan who rose to the occasion like Mayo did today. Really in 2010 the All-Ireland should have been won by Kildare and if Kerry were there this Cork team would not have won Sam.

It was a poor crowd and Cork and Mayo were clearly in the Majority, it was misty and light drizzle all day which made the surface greasey and when I saw Canty introduced I knew Cork were gone.

A good day at the office and Kerry and Mayo will be thriller. And even better was to see Cork flushed.

Well Stinicker;

Can I ask you one question why were you delighted that Cork were beaten today if your saying they are a bad team? I assume its because you felt that Cork after narrowly loosing to Kerry in Killarney, would pose as a major threat to Kerry in the semi if they got there. In fairness every team gets beaten and you should know as Down showed how bad a team ye were last year in 2010.

I hate the way you say that Cork wouldnt have won the All Ireland if Kerry were there last year, the fact of the matter is that Kerry werent there last year to beat Cork and you can only beat whats in front of you and in Corks case it was Down.

I still feel that if Tyrone make it to the final they will beat Kerry yet again but Mayo stand in the way first. Tyrone are looking good at the moment.

• Advertisement

Downlinz wrote: »
    Two things however.

1) Kerry aren't foolish enough to underrate us, they never are.

2) The media won't write us off after beating the champions, no chance.

Tomas O Se did that today in an interview after the Kerry Limerick match where he said that they will have to prepare well for Cork.

Completely agree. If we're written off as much in advance in the next game as we were today, it can only help.
    Hype does nothing for Mayo teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I was hoping to see Kerry give Cork more nightmares in Croker

What the hell has that got to do with Cork versus Mayo? If you cannot post on topic dont post in a thread at all. It's obvious you're no fan of Cork, but if you're going to post in a thread about Cork and Mayo you should mention those teams and not bring your own Cork versus Kerry hate into a thread.

Any future off topic posting in that manner will result in a 1 week ban.

Regards

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Blackjack wrote: »
    Completely agree. If we're written off as much in advance in the next game as we were today, it can only help.
    Hype does nothing for Mayo teams.

True that!! But I think James Horan is a bit more shrewd than to allow his players to get carried away (the media and fans can do what they like)! He strikes me as a very good manager, and I suppose we'll only properly know after the Kerry game just how good he is! It will be a brilliant battle between him and Jack O'Connor, who seems to be able to come up with the plans to beat different styles of teams on a regular basis!

I don't think the Mayo players will have any fear or worry going into the game, but I also don't think they'll underestimate what Kerry can do, despite Kerry not playing well all year!

This is the best chance we have had for a while of beating Kerry in the Championship, not in a final, underdogs, and quietly confident after today's performance!

There was nothing between the teams in the last three encounters in championship ( i.e. 2009 All Ireland Final, and the 2 All Ireland Semi Finals of 2008). What Kerry deserve now is a good beating and any opposition will do. They are the first to laugh and insult Cork football when we loose but when Kerry loose they would hardly talk to you if you mentioned the game. Opposites attract. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 findra

Deeply disappointed with todays match :-( The only consolations are that (a) we lost to Mayo and not Kerry again in Croker and (b) Conor (who did great work but has hit a terminal plateau) may now give someone else a crack at the reins.

Well done to Mayo who fully deserved their win and good luck in the rest of the championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

As a Cork man I can put my hands up and say the best team won today. Cork were out fought and out played. Fair play to Mayo and best of luck to them in the semi. Its 15 against 15 out there and Mayo had more hunger today and deserved their victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

""Cork got lucky in 2010 when Eoin Cadogan got Paul Galvin sent off and the CCCC went on to cripple Kerry, Today Cork were crippled without some of their men and Down were a flash in the pan who rose to the occasion like Mayo did today. Really in 2010 the All-Ireland should have been won by Kildare and if Kerry were there this Cork team would not have won Sam.""

Just to clarify a few points;
    1. Eoin Cadogan was not responsible for getting galvin suspended thats all down to his own behaviour which is not welcome on any GAA pitch. cant say what I really think of galvin as I would get booted.

2.If Kerry lost gooch/donaghy/declan sull how would they cope ?

3. If Down are a flash in the pan how come Kerry have NEVER EVER beaten Down ?

4. Typical kerry arrogat/bias saying if kerry were there cork would not have won Sam. Kerry always see to get lucky draws, i.e. this year they avoided Kildare and Tyrone and got poxed with Limerick!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

PaulieC wrote: »
    I'd agree with this barring the manner in which it's achieved - I think Mayo will come out and fire everything at Cork once again without ever really pulling away, Cork will weather the storm and finish stronger.

I don't think any team matches Cork for fitness so would expect Mayo to tire for a finish
    thats what people were saying about kildare too,how fit the were but i thinks the donegal lads looked the fitter the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

crucamim wrote: »
    I was glad Mayo won. It was a victory not just for Mayo but for gaelic football as it should be played - with the foot. I detest this hand-passing game with the ball being moved across the pitch.
    pat is that you pat?:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

What conditions?! Ah now come on! Suck it up and take it like a man,God knows we've been doing it in Mayo for years:) If I came on here after Mayo only scoring one point in the second half,and I tried to blame the feckin wind or the rain or the lightning or the lava or some other force of nature,you would be tearing me a new one! Just as well there wasn't an earthquake or ye might not have got the one point:) Cork were beaten fair and square by a stronger team. Fair enough, the next game is gonna be a bitch but you'd never know:) BRING ON THE KINGDOM! UP MAYO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I know - poor Mayo could only score a goal and five points in the first half in those tough conditions :D

Longranger wrote: »
    What conditions?! Ah now come on! Suck it up and take it like a man,God knows we've been doing it in Mayo for years:) If I came on here after Mayo only scoring one point in the second half,and I tried to blame the feckin wind or the rain or the lightning or the lava or some other force of nature,you would be tearing me a new one! Just as well there wasn't an earthquake or ye might not have got the one point:) Cork were beaten fair and square by a stronger team. Fair enough, the next game is gonna be a bitch but you'd never know:) BRING ON THE KINGDOM! UP MAYO!

He was being very sarcastic - read through some of the earlier stuff in the thread and you'll see where he's coming from.

I think you'll find most genuine Cork fans will accept we were beaten by the better team yesterday, I was gutted leaving Croke Park as I really didn't see this coming, but you have to hold your hands up and take your medicine. It was a poor Cork performance, the leaders on the park that have done it so often just didn't perform and fair play to Mayo, they took full advantage and should've won by more. I have to say I admired Pat Spillane on TSG last night, while he was critical of Cork's performance he paid tribute to Counihan and the players for the way they have performed over the last couple of years. Counihan came in when we were at a low ebb, got players focused and we've had a very good run, one all ireland and two league titles in two seasons is something to be proud of.
    Counihan was also very gracious in defeat, no excuses offered just beaten on the day by a sharper and hungrier team. He could've gone down the road of injuries etc but like the true man that he is he praised Mayo's performance and rightly so. I hope he stays on, he's done great things for the county, the underage structures are excellent in the county and we're producing excellent young players for the future. Have to say good luck to the minors today and the juniors at the weekend, keep the flag flying boys!!!
    Would also like to wish Mayo all the best against that other lot! They'll not be given a hope of getting through to the final, but then again they said that yesterday....................:rolleyes:

Only thing worse than a sore loser and that's a sore winner!!! Up Tyrone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement