Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork v Mayo All Ireland Quarter Final - Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I don't think there's be anything too bizarre about Cork going with three midfeilders at all. But sure twill all be answered when the ball is thrown in.

When a team goes three midfielders they should somewhere close to an even split of posession. Mayo will struggle to win if that is the case. We only beat Cork in the league because we caught plenty o the kickouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

robster83 wrote: »
    especially since Mayo havnt even played in Croke Park since their 2009 defeat to Meath. Let just put this thread to bed.

they played dublin in croker this year and cork in the league final in april 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 robster83

For feck sake, is this sad ass Roscommmon lad just browsing through this thread looking for mistakes he can highlight so he can feel good about himself for a few minutes, when you mention Croke Park in this context you mean Championship, not the feckin league. Theres a hell of a difference between league and championship, considering what division Roscommon play in anyway you should know that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Panrich

For feck sake, is this sad ass Roscommmon lad just browsing through this thread looking for mistakes he can highlight so he can feel good about himself for a few minutes, when you mention Croke Park in this context you mean Championship, not the feckin league. Theres a hell of a difference between league and championship, considering what division Roscommon play in anyway you should know that!

This thread is not for those of a sensitive nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Any chance the pair of ye could **** off so people can talk about Cork vs Mayo?

Srsly, what age are the two of ye?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

keane2097 wrote: »
    Any chance the pair of ye could **** off so people can talk about Cork vs Mayo?

Srsly, what age are the two of ye?

what did i do, he attacked two of my posts for no reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

Over 200 posts on this match thread just over 50 on the "tie of the round " Kildare v donegal :) mayo cork going to be a lot closet and more interesting than some people want to believe ..... Mayo by 2

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Shorty1985

Up the Rebels :D:D Can't wait for the game ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

rossie1977 wrote: »
    what did i do, he attacked two of my posts for no reason

Sorry you're right, you're just at the end of a long line of people who are completely off topic ITT.

Not your fault in this instance though it doesn't look like - apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If they played in Croke Park they played in Croke Park. What your posting is off the mark is each post anyway, define top class? Nice passing and a few tatoos on your arm or a scoring record?
    Then take your statement about McDonald and have a look at this list.
    http://www.gaainfo.com/allplayers_county_records.php?type=scored&sport=f&co=mayo

Tell us then, was McDonald that top class?

I am not getting into some off topic argument with you but going around making inaccurate statements is well annoying.

Stick to what you know and discuss the Cork team for the match on Sunday.

Back on topic again.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

On form Cork should win but Mayo are an unknown quantity and could be very dangerous opposition. I was at the Down game and when Goulding went off I put my head in my hands and was certain it was game up for us. However, I was very pleasantly surprised when we came through pulling up in the end so I'm confident enough going into this one. The one worry I would have is that Mayo can go into the game with no expectations, can throw the shackles off and have a real go at us, they also have the players to keep the scoreboard ticking over so it has the potential to be a close one. I can see them putting up a very good fight for the first 45-50 minutes, after that I hope that our experience will make us pull away in the last 20 mins. We should win but if we play like we did in the 1st half in Killarney it could be very difficult!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Don't think this will be close, Cork by 7 points I would say. I still can't ignore the fact Mayo lost to Longford last year and nearly lost to London :eek: this year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mayo in all league and Championship matches since Horan took over have been weak as hell in the first half of the matches. Then for some reason the 2nd half performances have been in total contract.
    If Mayo can stay within 5 points of Cork in the first half then God knows what will happen.

Enjoy the match anyway.

Yop I'm confused.

Did you not spot that those Ciaran McDonald career stats are way, way off in every regard?
    By default you are now making innacurate statements yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Great contribution to the thread,

Lets have a look at yours:
    leonidas83 wrote: »
    I was at the Connacht final and i thought Mayo were quite lucky for a number of reasons.
    - Roscommon's manager getting his tactics completely wrong and persisting with a short passing game instead of kicking long to Kilbride and Shine who would have done alot of damage with their height, etc. to a relative poor Mayo defence
    - Although the weather was bad in the first half of the match, i have rarely seen the likes of it in the second half when Roscommon were playing against it, to say there was gael force winds would be an understatement, thats more of a reasonable explanation for Roscommon only scoring two points than Mayo's defending

I live in Connacht myself so I wish them the best of luck but i think they will be well beaten by Cork on the day

I don't give a rats who you support, or follow, but you do appear to have a talent for talking complete and utter Sheite. The only bit I may give you credit for is that we might be beaten by Cork.
    Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Blackjack wrote: »
    Lets have a look at yours:

I don't give a rats who you support, or follow, but you do appear to have a talent for talking complete and utter Sheite. The only bit I may give you credit for is that we might be beaten by Cork.
    Well done.

Get off your righteous train, he's right.as the game was deadly tight in everything, with indeed Roscommon edged almost every tactical stat besides the scoreline. If the weather didn't worsen in the second half or if Roscommon kicked more ball deep in the first half it's hard for any neutral like myself to claim they think Mayo would still have won. If people said Roscommon won a 'handy' Connacht last year then they have every right to say the same about Mayo this year.

Prove your worth in your next game because the Connacht final told us very little about either side besides them being very evenly matched.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Yop I'm confused.

Did you not spot that those Ciaran McDonald career stats are way, way off in every regard?

Yeah I agree
    stats don't add up for me!

surely John Casey should be in the top fifty?:confused:

I know he was plagued by injury but he definitely scored more than 18 points in his days in the green and red ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Tucker.Tim wrote: »
    If the weather didn't worsen in the second half or if Roscommon kicked more ball deep in the first half

*If* this and *If* that. The way you are going on you would swear that Roscommon snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. That wasn't the case, Roscommon were very poor in the second half. The weather conditions were the same for both teams. Mayo were the better team on the day, get over it. Confidence was very low in the Mayo team after the disasters of last year, they have managed to pull themselves out of the mire and not enough people are giving them credit for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gaelic cowboy

Yop I'm confused.

I noticed it's only from 2001 which is wrong cos he is playing waaay longer than that, sure I watched him for Mayo in Tuam in 97 and wiki says he debuted in 94 for Mayo. So that means those scoring totals on that list must be miles out, although he rarely played league games so his total is lower by default, still even allowing for that he still prob not top scorer it would still be Connor Mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

If the weather didn't worsen in the second half or if Roscommon kicked more ball deep in the first half

*If* this and *If* that. The way you are going on you would swear that Roscommon snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. That wasn't the case, Roscommon were very poor in the second half. The weather conditions were the same for both teams. Mayo were the better team on the day, get over it. Confidence was very low in the Mayo team after the disasters of last year, they have managed to pull themselves out of the mire and not enough people are giving them credit for it.
    QFT. Too many "ifs" and "buts" and claims of different weather conditions for both teams here in order to be able to take some posters here seriously.

• Advertisement

Mayo - Roscommon game was tight and there is no way we can be arguing for or against either side whether bad or good. You could make a case for either side to improve from that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Get off your righteous train, he's right.as the game was deadly tight in everything, with indeed Roscommon edged almost every tactical stat besides the scoreline. If the weather didn't worsen in the second half or if Roscommon kicked more ball deep in the first half it's hard for any neutral like myself to claim they think Mayo would still have won. If people said Roscommon won a 'handy' Connacht last year then they have every right to say the same about Mayo this year.

Prove your worth in your next game because the Connacht final told us very little about either side besides them being very evenly matched.

Mayo don't have to prove anything. Our work this year is done. We kept our Division 1 status and won Connacht, beating Galway and the champions on their own patch. Whatever happens against Cork it's been a successful summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Mayo don't have to prove anything. Our work this year is done. We kept our Division 1 status and won Connacht, beating Galway and the champions on their own patch. Whatever happens against Cork it's been a successful summer.

Agree with ya there coletrain.

Yop I'm confused.

Pulled out the book brought out by Mick Byrne there in 2010. Stats on that site are off the mark for sure, not that I had realised, so not "inaccurate", blame the site ;)

Anyway - up to 2009
    Mortimer scored 20-358
    McDonald scored 10-137
    Casey scored 4-38

McDonald was in 6th place in 09, Dillon though has probably passed him in the last 2 years into 6th.
    Casey was in 45th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Interesting how people say how bad the connaught final was, but I noticed that the winner of todays Kildare v Donegal epic only scored two points more in 90 mins of perfect conditions than Mayo did in 70 mins of some of the worst conditions every seen for summertime.

Interesting how people say how bad the connaught final was, but I noticed that the winner of todays Kildare v Donegal epic only scored two points more in 90 mins of perfect conditions than Mayo did in 70 mins of some of the worst conditions every seen for summertime.
    Cud not agree more. Low scoring today was down to overwhelming negativity. And yet Spillane was gushing afterwards about heart work rate courage ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

km79 wrote: »
    Cud not agree more. Low scoring today was down to overwhelming negativity. And yet Spillane was gushing afterwards about heart work rate courage ....

Did you hear him at halftime? Really laid into the two teams for being too negative and not playing the game properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

Fair point but IMO the biggest reason there was a low scoring game tonight was due to the negative tactics used by both teams in the game, in all honesty I've seen more exciting games of chess than that tonight, very poor quality football. As you said in your post the weather conditions were perfect for good football but both teams set up to negate the other and it was dreadful viewing at times. Cork/Kerry/Tyrone would've had a field day against those teams tonight, in fact I think the biggest winners today are Tyrone. They'll fancy themselves against the Dubs and then Donegal stand in their way of an All Ireland Final. Tomorrow's game is set up nicely for Mayo, no real expectation on them so expect them to come out all guns blazing and really tear into us. If we don't turn up tomorrow it could be a long afternoon, however I think Counihan is more streetwise to let the players go in with any complacency. I wouldn't be surprised if Mayo were winning at half time but I expect us to win by 4 or 5 points. I also have to point out the obvious rivalry between Roscommon/Mayo on this board. It's very entertaining to see fans from both counties having the banter, reminds me of ourselves and the Kingdom, god I love the GAA!!!

Corcaigh Abu!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Mayo have absolutely nothing to lose going into this game tomorrow. Their a ridiculous 5/1 with the bookies to win so no one is expecting them to win yet they play a Cork team weakened by the losses of Sheehan and Goulding and who are expected to put on a repeat performance of last week's hammering of Down which IMO will not happen.

If Cork start sluggishly tomorrow and Mayo take advantage early on Cork could find themselves in serious trouble. I reckon Cork will win by a few points but Mayo will put up a gallant battle against the rebels.

km79 wrote: »

Did you hear him at halftime? Really laid into the two teams for being too negative and not playing the game properly.

And they continued to be negative ? Look at the scoring rates. No mention of junk status ....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He fairly flew off the handle alright - but the first half was pure and utter crap. I contemplated turning it off but I had a feeling it would get better - kinda had to, to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

I think cork will stroll this today.

Cork are just the better team overall and and although Cork are missing the significant forwards O'Connor is on form, Gould is showing potential and Nick Murphy in at full forward could cause havoc.

Also, I don't think Mayo are anywhere near Cork's standard and Mayo usually don't perform at this stage of the Championship-fall apart and get thrown to the wayside.

Cork by 6+ points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

The reputation of the entirity of Connacht rests with you, Mayo. No pressure ;)

In all seriousness I'll be cheering Mayo on today and hoping they can pull something off. Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭Downlinz

barbarians wrote: »

Mayo usually don't perform at this stage of the Championship-fall apart and get thrown to the wayside.

BS. Mayo have an excellent quarter final and semi final record in recent years especially. Its in the finals they traditionally choke big time, Mayo are very very good at getting to finals. In recent years they've beaten Tyrone as reigning champions, Dublin as fancied favourites and comfortable wins over Laois and Fermanagh all in Croke Park.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Clever by the Cork forward. As soon as the Mayo back got his arm over the shoulder, he grabbed it and fell to the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

1 penalty for Cork and couldve been one for Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alphasully

The Ref is going to ruin this game too many easy frees, penaltys and yellows already

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Good running from the Cork players there - could have gone for goal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

If Mayo keep shooting from distance they will ruin it for themselves.

They are being destroyed in the middle of the park and its only 12 mins in.

Mismatch No 2 ?

• Advertisement

Fiachra Lynch - burning his man yet again - good start for the 'new boy'.

STB wrote: »
    If Mayo keep shooting from distance they will ruin it for themselves.

They are being destroyed in the middle of the park and its only 12 mins in.

Mismatch No 2 ?

Cork look up for this game and are not taking Mayo lightly - bad news for Mayo me thinks. 1-4 V 0-01 after 15mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Great goal.
    Game on?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alphasully

We might have a game of it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

What a goal.

Not a bad response at all!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Listening live from San Diego :), any live links without downloading crap. Why cant Tv3 or RTE stream internationally :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Somebody check what the odds are for a red card cause this ref is obviously a Coldplay fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

caesar wrote: »
    Listening live from San Diego :), any live links without downloading crap. Why cant Tv3 or RTE stream internationally :(

http://tykestv.eu/channel1.php

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

Mayo stciking well with the so far but they will inevitably roll over being the soft little pansies they are

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Paracore wrote: »
    Mayo stciking well with the so far but they will inevitably roll over being the soft little pansies they are

What an insightful and helpful contribution :rollseyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement