Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork v Mayo All Ireland Quarter Final - Discussion

Comments

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    But Kerry weren't trying to play their best today, that was clear to see. Never got out of second, maybe even first, gear.

They'll need to against Mayo or they will end up out of the championship. Limerick were sh*te and left loads of scores behind them plus were missing Galvin and Lucey who got injured 4 minutes in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

why? Are you going there on your holidays?

Better team won today definitely, injuries have caught up with cork , but i didnt see any trophies being handed out today:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

****ing delighted to see Mayo win this game they fully deserved it.

I turned it on in first half and taught Cork looked in control but Mayo really gave them some game and after all the big headed ****e from Cork and Kerry fans about these two games being warm ups today glad one of them where kept quite :D

Fair play Mayo hopefully give Kerry a good game if they play like that be a close one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Lot of cork posters will have egg on their faces now. Talk of 10+ point wins was extremely disrespectful. Well done to Mayo. 100% deserved.

I was certainly one of them !!

I didn't see it coming - alot of people didn't. A very big well done to Mayo. On the day they were the better team and thorougly deserved their win today and are rightfully deserving of their place in the semi's.

Yes Cork were down a few key forwards but that is not any kind of excuse for Cork today. Mayo played the better football and were the better team and deserved their win. Cork started well and went downhill thereafter. They had plenty of goal chances but only took 2 of them. Mayo started poorly but grew into the game.

The second half was putred from a Cork perspective. Worst than the first half against Kerry I think.

So it's Mayo V Kerry - who'd have thought it - not me anyway!!

Comhghairdeas Maigh Eo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

speechless , very very well done to Mayo lots of us with a taste of shoe in our mouth this evening !!! refreshing to see 2 unexpected,newish teams in semis i.e Mayo Donegal .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Frickin delighted for Mayo! Brolly was spot on about Cork, no imagination.

And Berba, I couldn't be happier for you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

As a Corkman, I'll say well done to Mayo, cleverer team & much more hungrier. Cork looked jaded. Once Counihan goes at least they can start playing a proper brand of football. Hopefully Mayo will go on & win the AI. Would love to see it happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

MayoForSam wrote: »
    5 to 1 my a$$.

Mayo For Sam!!!!!!!!!!

Andy Moran and Dillon outstanding, our defence were rock solid.

Bring on Kerry, we gotta beat them in Croker some time.

Mayo beat Kerry in the 1996 all ireland semi final.

THFC wrote: »
    Frickin delighted for Mayo! Brolly was spot on about Cork, no imagination.

And Berba, I couldn't be happier for you ;)

Always next year , we'll be in the thick of it again can't say the same about your crowd

btw well done Mayo , well deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭CWone

CiaranMT wrote: »
    What about them? I would not be at all surprised to see them lose to Donegal.

Don't Dublin have to play Tyrone first ? Surely after today no-one will take anything for granted:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Whenever Walsh and Kelly play badly we lose.

Could be the end of this Cork team, we have an aging half-back line and no depth in this position whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

BERBA wrote: »
    Better team won today definitely, injuries have caught up with cork , but i didnt see any trophies being handed out today:rolleyes:
    you can post as many smilies as you like, but if you start celebrating before a match, you deserve to have the piss taken out of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Fair dues to Mayo - I wrote 'em off like alot of other people but they gave a great display today.

Thought Cork gave them far too much space in the full forward line for them to run into but Mayo's defence was simply brilliant - even Kerrys forward line will have trouble against that type of marking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Don't Dublin have to play the winners of Tyrone vs Donegal? :

Donegal play winners of Tyrone vs Dublin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Orizio wrote: »

Could be the end of this Cork team, we have an aging half-back line and no depth in this position whatsoever.

Wouldn't think so. I expect them to be around next year and very much to the forefront in the race for Sam. A change of direction regarding tactics is needed - not majory surgery on the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

CWone wrote: »

Don't Dublin have to play the winners of Tyrone vs Donegal? Surely after today no-one will take anything for granted:confused:
    I thought Donegal were into the semi-finals with their win over Kildare yesterday and will be playing the winner of Dublin vs. Tyrone??

Open to correction on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

CWone wrote: »

Don't Dublin have to play the winners of Tyrone vs Donegal? Surely after today no-one will take anything for granted:confused:
    Indie. wrote: »

I'd forgotten about Tyrone :o

Orizio wrote: »

wouldnt think so , not with o neill , sheehan and goulding back and a change of tactics maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Well Done Mayo, great to see the under dog win & really should have won by more. some of the cocky Cork fans here & elsewhere will be very quiet after that poor display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

PaulieC wrote: »
    Fair dues to Mayo - I wrote 'em off like alot of other people but they gave a great display today.

Thought Cork gave them far too much space in the full forward line for them to run into but Mayo's defence was simply brilliant - even Kerrys forward line will have trouble against that type of marking

Have to agree, also wrote Mayo off so fair dues to them.

However I don't think Kerry's forward line would have difficulty with any defence, it's more our defence having trouble with the oppositions attack. Brosnan seems to be very poor in defence IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Delighted for Mayo :)

Always next year , we'll be in the thick of it again can't say the same about your crowd

btw well done Mayo , well deserved.

Aye, there is next year, there'll probably be another year after that, and by Christ I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one more year! Doesn't mean ye're gonna be any closer than this year.

And btw, come back to me when you're "lot" have won more Celtic Crosses "my lot", k? Unlucky again, delighted for you. ;)

Hard luck to all proper Coek fans btw, don't normally rub it in (never have here, on the SF or indeed any where else) but I'll make an exception for Berba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

MayoForSam wrote: »
    5 to 1 my a$$.

Mayo For Sam!!!!!!!!!!

Andy Moran and Dillon outstanding, our defence were rock solid.

Bring on Kerry, we gotta beat them in Croker some time.

enjoy the evening but seriously, defence rock solid ??? A Cork attack that is limited at best and were missing a number of players scored 2 goals ans created a number of chances, and full back lne especially looked rocky at times. a day out v kerry to look forward to now so a lot of work to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I'm late here I now but...

:eek: MAYO :eek: MAYO I CAN'T BELIEVE. But I'm very happy, and they deserved the win completely, serious credit to them.

THFC wrote: »
    but I'll make an exception for Berba.

Long run short pier and all that galway girl :p

• Registered Users Posts: 37 DelBoyCORCAIGH

Fair play to Mayo, would love to see them beat Kerry in a couple of weeks time. Might ease the pain slightly :rolleyes:
    Now Brolly has a good reason to give us a lashing:mad:

Long run short pier and all that galway girl :p

K.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭CWone

Fair play to Mayo, worked their arses off for that, matched Cork blow for blow.

What was Miskella sent off for?
    Indie. wrote: »

Thanks for that info just got confused about the matches when someone presumed Dublin would be playing Donegal!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ok, everyone is predicting an easy win for Cork in this one.

The tenner I had on Mayo said otherwise.

Off to Paddy Powers to collect €60 now.:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

sussh so where are they mystic megs and there hammerings now :) i have such a smarmy smile walking out of croke park:) great performance and the win was unexpected but deserved. Met some very sound cork lads up there. Kerry will be tough.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

yop wrote: »
    Kerry will be tough.

If Mayo turn up for that game with the same hunger and sense of purpose they showed today, Kerry should be worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Lapin wrote: »
    If Mayo turn up for that game with the same hunger and sense of purpose they showed today, Kerry should be worried.

The Big difference is Kerry have a more competent manager who reacts to changes in the games.

yop wrote: »
    sussh so where are they mystic megs and there hammerings now :) i have such a smarmy smile walking out of croke park:) great performance and the win was unexpected but deserved. Met some very sound cork lads up there. Kerry will be tough.

Well it was an unexpected win - to most people, myself included. It was also a deserved one - but someone can only say that after the event.
    Kerry will most certainly be ' tough' but that should be for another day and another thread. Mayo deserve to talk about their deserving win over Cork for a while before looking forward to Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

tv3 pundits go for dublin x2 and tyrone x1 for AI win what ye think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

See the overrated Michael Shields had his ass handed to him today.
    Think every person had him on their best 15 in the country.
    Shields out,McGee in I think.

ciaeim wrote: »

It's TV3 - nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

ciaeim wrote: »

Kerry/Tyrone Final for me. Couldn't call that though. Would dearly love a Tyrone win for the harte family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

A great day to be from Mayo - we've finally expunged one of our demons in Cork. After no-one giving us a chance from the games against Galway and Roscommon I think it's time for Kerry to start worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

That is the most proud I'v ever been of a Mayo performance, even beyond Dublin 2006. Kevin McGloughlin put in an unreal performance, a guy of his build slamming into Cork backs on the short kickout forcing a second kickout. It's a long time since I'v seen that level of tenacity and commitment. Keith Higgins had one of his best games for years.
    Our forwards have pace and that definitely troubled Cork throughout the game. Great to see Doherty get a vital point that he worked well. Andy Moran the man has improved himself so much. Been watching him since he started and he improves each year.
    I had said before the game that Aidan O'Shea was vital, he had an off day but his brother stepped up to the mark.
    Being able to spring McGarrity from the bench, came on and won vital posession. I think the main difference between the sides was that Mayo counter attacked with more pace and much more direct. Corks biggest problem is their sideways and backwards passing, ball gathered at midfield can end up 25 yards back down the pitch. It was giving Mayo time to regroup. Off to check cost of flights for the semi....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Didn't see that coming, well done Mayo!!

Maybe the weather was to blame for the poor fare in Connacht. They weren't fantastic today, there was sloppy play from both teams but they were tenacious in defence and kicked on and got scores when they had chances.

Cork were quite poor in the 2nd half, I've never really rated their forwards as natural scorers from play.....certainly compared to the Kerry forwards. And considering the 3 that were missing, that seemed justified today. They are all talented at working the space and creating chances but some of the shooting was woeful.

And that goal from Mayo was superb, one of the goals of the championship. Well done to them, they really deserved their win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Congratulations Mayo - I am delighted for our neighbours (despite ye breaking our hearts in the Connaught Final;)). Really well deserved win and best of luck against Kerry.

As of now Galway are Under 21 Champions, Galway and Roscommon are both in the Minor semi finals and Mayo are in the Senior Semi final - whats that about the poor standard in Connaught again Pat Spillane:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Paracore wrote: »
    Mayo stciking well with the so far but they will inevitably roll over being the soft little pansies they are

Post of the day....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Amazing turn around for Mayo from just shading London a few months back. The tenacity and work rate were incredible. They also played a lovely brand of football with the forwards running themselves into the ground to give an option. Hope they produce the same performance against Kerry. Might not be good enough but there won't be much in it.

For Cork, well no doubt they missed the forwards out injured but as someone else pointed out the endless hand passing trying to get a man running onto the ball cost them. 1 point in the second half says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Well we know where the trophies wont be going, in both senior hurling and football!

Well done Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

how are all the langers feeling now boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Well done mayo, fair ****s to ye! Ye did our province proud, im sick of hearing about how bad connacht football is meant to be but its come up with the goods today for sure!

Whole senior panel was in the hogan stand yesterday, for what its worth, was talking to o' connor and aidan o' shea and you could tell they were confident and up for this fixture by all means.

how are all the langers feeling now boy

Interesting that your ONLY post in a long running thread is the above one:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Fair play ShamoBuc and the other very gracious Cork posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

corny wrote: »
    Amazing turn around for Mayo from just shading London a few months back. The tenacity and work rate were incredible. They also played a lovely brand of football with the forwards running themselves into the ground to give an option. Hope they produce the same performance against Kerry. Might not be good enough but there won't be much in it.

For Cork, well no doubt they missed the forwards out injured but as someone else pointed out the endless hand passing trying to get a man running onto the ball cost them. 1 point in the second half says it all.

mayo kept galway to one point in the second half and roscommon to 2 as far as i know so i dont no why there saying that mayo backs are poor.the blancket defending and the consitine pestering of the players with the ball had worked really well for mayo.kerry are going to be very though tho.now iam off for pints to enjoy the victory:D:D:D:D:D:D

seligehgit wrote: »
    Fair play ShamoBuc and the other very gracious Cork posters.

Cheers.

One has to try to be gracious in defeat and in victory - however hard it is to do so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement