Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork v Mayo All Ireland Quarter Final - Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

People on this site have spent their time knocking Connaught ,ask my tits.Roscommon the youngest team in the country by a mile played very very well on sat against Tyrone.I had 200e @6/1 Mayo no surprise to me.If my analogy is correct Tyrone will beat Dublin.How many times do Dublin leave thier home ground ,Kerry,cork dont have to travel to far for thier provincial games yet the least populas province have to travel to England,America,wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

sting60 wrote: »
    People on this site have spent their time knocking Connaught ,ask my tits.Roscommon the youngest team in the country by a mile played very very well on sat against Tyrone.I had 200e @6/1 Mayo no surprise to me.If my analogy is correct Tyrone will beat Dublin.How many times do Dublin leave thier home ground ,Kerry,cork dont have to travel to far for thier provincial games yet the least populas province have to travel to England,America,wow.

Dublin haven't played a championship game in their home ground in a long time i'm afraid.

here we go again:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

Connacht is still muck I'm afraid despite the heroics of Mayo today. Their victory was more down to heart and sheer determination than skill.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Absolutely delighted with that win for Mayo.
    Fair play to them, not a huge Cork fan at all myself, and again they were shown to be devoid of imagination. I've said it before and I'll say it again, 15 brilliant athletes with a footballer or two thrown in, (and very robotic at that) can be beaten by a good footballing team.

Don't think Mayo will go further, but, tbh, I could see them beating Kerry, who will play football against them, rather than a Donegal for eg, who would stifle them.

I personally don't mind who gets to the AI Final now, as long as it's not Dnag.
    Any of the other four teams should make for a great day, great colour and hopefully great football.

Although, Dublin Kerry would be a great day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

I'd hate to see the state of the bathroom fixtures in Dublin after this one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Well done Mayo go all the way now the whole country will be behind you bar one county

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

mccarthy37 wrote: »
    Well done Mayo go all the way now the whole country will be behind you bar one county

Dublin ? Kerry? Donegal? Tyrone? ...oh wait Galway? Roscommon? Leitrim? Sligo??? which county?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

mccarthy37 wrote: »

I would imagine the other four teams left in the competition would rather win it themselves than mayo. Personally, i hope they continue to do connacht football proud, which they have already done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

enjoy the evening but seriously, defence rock solid ??? A Cork attack that is limited at best and were missing a number of players scored 2 goals ans created a number of chances, and full back lne especially looked rocky at times. a day out v kerry to look forward to now so a lot of work to do.

Ahem, conceded 1 point in second half against Cork, 4 points in the last 3 second halves played? I very much fancy our chances against Kerry if we stay in touch for the first 35 minutes in the semi, these Mayo lads have hopefully disposed of all the baggage from our previous encounters with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 evo20

Alot of peple said today was only a day out for Mayo and Cork would win, its results like this that keep the football championship interesting.
    Well done Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Absolutely delighted for James Horan and the Mayo team, they have really picked themselves off the ground after the disasters of last year. Cork started well and dominated full-forwards and midfield for the first 15 minutes. Mayo changed tack and started playing the short-ball, gradually recovered their composure and got a serious boost after Kevin McLoughlin's (brilliant) goal. Cork responded well with a (soft IMO) goal and looked to be regaining their dominance but Mayo kept cool and kept it close at half time.

Didn't know what to make of Mayo's chances then but what a second half! The players played with a confidence and hunger that we haven't seen since the 2006 Dublin game. Dillon and Moran have certainly emerged as the leaders we so desperately needed. The O'Sheas were brilliant in the second half, Cork attempted to switch to the short passing game but we crowded them out. Even Keith Higgins and Richie Feeney made a few trips up the field, what does that say about the Mayo back line when they can make an impact on both ends of the pitch?

The best Mayo performance in 5 years, and hopefully this will silence all the talk about Connacht being a weak province. It's nice to see a bit of contrition from the Cork fans on this thread. They had reason to be confident but talk of another Munster clash in the semis was premature in the extreme.

Best game of the weekend, bring on the kingdom!

Paracore wrote: »
    Mayo stciking well with the so far but they will inevitably roll over being the soft little pansies they are
    ha ha ha you know **** all wanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

BERBA wrote: »
    Dublin ? Kerry? Donegal? Tyrone? ...oh wait Galway? Roscommon? Leitrim? Sligo??? which county?:rolleyes:

Let it go Berba :rolleyes::rolleyes: Show the same sort of dignity other cork supporters are:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

Connacht is still muck I'm afraid despite the heroics of Mayo today. Their victory was more down to heart and sheer determination than skill.
    Could you please pronounce your provence to the forum ,then I will take you apart.Since when can you win a game without heart,guts and skill.As a very proud Roscommon man to see Mayo win today was one of the best days ever in GAA,come on Mayo ever county in our small provence is behind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Could I commend Conor Counihan on his post match interview.He has proven to be both a gracious winner and loser and I say that as a Dub supporter. Theres a lot to be learnt from this man. See yiz back next year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Could I commend Conor Counihan on his post match interview.He has proven to be both a gracious winner and loser and I say that as a Dub supporter. Theres a lot to be learnt from this man. See yiz back next year

I've always liked they way he does that - even in winning he always comes across well I think - alot of people can learn from him I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Very difficult to decide whether you're a moron or else a cretin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

ha ha ha you know **** all wanker.

Keep that up and your stay in this forum will be a very short one.

Infraction given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Just in the door, my head is pounding from the beer but I'm proud of Mayo today. We haven't delivered like that since Dublin in 2006.
    We were hungry today, look at the amount of ball we won in the 2nd half, it wasn't just the O'shea's either, the half backs and fowards mopped up big time. Mortimer, Higgins, Moran and Dillion - take a bow. We needed leadership in there and we got it, the young lads didn't do too badly either!
    Our delivery into the corner forwards was brilliant in the second half. A lot of it was down to Cork's defending, they gave us way too much space to take them on but still our movement and delivery was spot on, We had too much pace for them inside at times.

Just like to say too I've nothing against the genuine Cork lads who posted predictions of Mayo getting a beating - we were 5/1 for a reason. Cork are still are great team, they just didn't show up.
    But to the trolls who predicted a hammering... get it right fuc*ing up you. Connacht isn't nearly as bad as it's made out on here. Mayo proved it today.

• Advertisement

Mayo stciking well with the so far but they will inevitably roll over being the soft little pansies they are

Infraction given. Abusive and unhelpful comments are frowned upon and against the forum charter. Abuse of a GAA team is a no no here.

Could posters please report posts that are unacceptable, trolling and/or abusive towards GAA players and officials. Makes this job easier.

Thank you

Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Just in the door, my head is pounding from the beer but I'm proud of Mayo today. We haven't delivered like that since Dublin in 2006.
    We were hungry today, look at the amount of ball we won in the 2nd half, it wasn't just the O'shea's either, the half backs and fowards mopped up big time. Mortimer, Higgins, Moran and Dillion - take a bow. We needed leadership in there and we got it, the young lads didn't do too badly either!
    Our delivery into the corner forwards was brilliant in the second half. A lot of it was down to Cork's defending, they gave us way too much space to take them on but still our movement and delivery was spot on, We had too much pace for them inside at times.

Just like to say too I've nothing against the genuine Cork lads who posted predictions of Mayo getting a beating - we were 5/1 for a reason. Cork are still are great team, they just didn't show up.
    But to the trolls who predicted a hammering... get it right fuc*ing up you. Connacht isn't nearly as bad as it's made out on here. Mayo proved it today.

Shut up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Someone has McGloughlins goal up on youtube already. It's like watching Sebastien Coe take part in Gladiators. What he likes in size he makes up for with skill, pace and bravery.

Shut up

Banned for 10 days due to personal abuse.

Trolling is not tolerated here.

Mod

Someone has McGloughlins goal up on youtube already. It's like watching Sebastien Coe take part in Gladiators. What he likes in size he makes up for with skill, pace and bravery.

Any chance of a link mate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

I was glad Mayo won. It was a victory not just for Mayo but for gaelic football as it should be played - with the foot. I detest this hand-passing game with the ball being moved across the pitch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

crucamim wrote: »
    I was glad Mayo won. It was a victory not just for Mayo but for gaelic football as it should be played - with the foot. I detest this hand-passing game with the ball being moved across the pitch.

It annoys Cork fans aswell !! But it's kinda like Donegal's tactics - not easy on the eye but it can be effective. Here's hoping Cork let loose a bit more next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

This display by Mayo has the mark of the Manager. During his Career the one thing that James Horan showed was he was willing to give his all for the Jersey.Even on those days must of us would like to forget he never let us down
    He has instilled that in this panel and those odlheads who have come with him are fully committed.
    Kerry will be a tough nut to crack. But 'On any given Sunday' anything can happen

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    DoctaDee wrote: »

I've always liked they way he does that - even in winning he always comes across well I think - alot of people can learn from him I think.
    Yep completly agree. The game is as much about personalities these days and the manner with which teams seem to adopt the personality and philosophy of their manager. Cork in winning or defeat have been exemplary in this respect .. near neighbours an others further afield could learn a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

a great day for Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

As a cork fan, I feel sick tonight after todays performance, didn't see it coming at all. Dont know what happened but I can't take it away from Mayo, they were brillant. Now go on and beat the Kingdom for us. I would rather see counihan go now though and bring in someone fresh to freshen up things.

orourkeda wrote: »
    a great day for Ireland

stephen ireland?....ashley young and stewie downing...see where i'm coming from ...thought so;)

orourkeda wrote: »
    a great day for Ireland
    Was our debt wiped out?

As a cork fan, I feel sick tonight after todays performance, didn't see it coming at all. Dont know what happened but I can't take it away from Mayo, they were brillant. Now go on and beat the Kingdom for us. I would rather see counihan go now though and bring in someone fresh to freshen up things.

teednab-el wrote: »
    Ah I think yer being a bit too hard. Counihan should stay for next year at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Never liked Conor Counihan much (not really sure why), but I have to commend him on his post match interview.. No excuses, honest assessment, and very gracious when I'm sure he was gutted.. Well done..

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭beartooth

mayo 4 sam!!!....only messin. i'm off to coppers report on the game tomorrow

Never liked Conor Counihan much (not really sure why), but I have to commend him on his post match interview.. No excuses, honest assessment, and very gracious when I'm sure he was gutted.. Well done..

Yeah fair play to him, was man enough to take the beating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

stephen ireland?....ashley young and stewie downing...see where i'm coming from ...thought so;)

bahaha BERBA are yea still sore?? I hope you didnt tune in to the Sunday Game.. :D

THFC wrote: »
    bahaha BERBA are yea still sore?? I hope you didnt tune in to the Sunday Game.. :D

THFC on ignore list....done

ps couldnt face sunday game

• Advertisement

THFC wrote: »

Why??? Don't tell me Cork lost?

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Why??? Don't tell me Cork lost?

and for the first time in 7 years to a team other than Kerry!!

ColeTrain wrote: »

Yeah fair play to him, was man enough to take the beating.

No point being honest and gracious in defeat, I'm sick of counihan and the way he goes on after the game. He annoys me to death, No trophies for being like that.
    Change in manager and selectors me thinks along with replacing a good few players on the Cork team. Things must be freshened up or we won't see another All Ireland in the next 25 years.

teednab-el wrote: »
    No point being honest and gracious in defeat, I'm sick of counihan and the way he goes on after the game. He annoys me to death, No trophies for being like that.
    Change in manager and selectors me thinks along with replacing a good few players on the Cork team. Things must be freshened up or we won't see another All Ireland in the next 25 years.

I disagree. I like the fact that he is gracious in defeat, he sets the standard for the players to follow in that regard I think, he also has some fine silverware in the past 2 years, so it's not exactly detremental to ones chances of winning.
    That said, I would like to see a new manager in charge of the Cork team. I'm not convinced Counihan will change the tactics - a must for this team. Fast ball to the forwards and they will score. Too much fussyness in defence etc has got to go. If he can change, then fine, but I think he will have had enough now himself. The vast majority of the players will be around again next year I think, although I would like to see a few new faces start alot of the league matches.

I thought David Brady's analysis on TV3 was top notch , particularly when asked who'd win it outright .. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Poor stuff from Cork today. Missing three of the best forwards will hurt any team but there is a more fundamental problem with Cork and it's the management and the style of football. Counihan and the selectors were once again verrrrry slow to make any changes today. A blind man could have seen that 5 minutes into the 2nd half Cork were in trouble and something needed to be done, but no changes were forthcoming from the sideline. I mean they left Shields in at fullback for the whole game when it was apparent that he was getting absolutely roasted.

Cork's other problem is their style of play. As a Corkman nothing pisses me off more than seeing the slow and deliberate buildup and all the lateral and backwards hand-passing. At the beginning of the game Cork were hitting fast ball into the forwards and running straight at the Mayo defenders and jumped out to a 6 point lead, but then they just stopped that and went back to the slow handpassing and allowed Mayo to settle into the game. Very frustrating!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

just shows ya corks quailty........they always say kerry come with 2 teams and u see the reason why they have 33 all irelands

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Poor stuff from Cork today. Missing three of the best forwards will hurt any team but there is a more fundamental problem with Cork and it's the management and the style of football. Counihan and the selectors were once again verrrrry slow to make any changes today. A blind man could have seen that 5 minutes into the 2nd half Cork were in trouble and something needed to be done, but no changes were forthcoming from the sideline. I mean they left Shields in at fullback for the whole game when it was apparent that he was getting absolutely roasted.

Cork's other problem is their style of play. As a Corkman nothing pisses me off more than seeing the slow and deliberate buildup and all the lateral and backwards hand-passing. At the beginning of the game Cork were hitting fast ball into the forwards and running straight at the Mayo defenders and jumped out to a 6 point lead, but then they just stopped that and went back to the slow handpassing and allowed Mayo to settle into the game. Very frustrating!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

first the excuses-

Cork were far too slow changing tactics and lost the middle third badly

Mayo were very cute fouling far out from goal, ref was disappointing, he was very good in general but could have booked/ticked a lot more players, especially those niggly, reoccurring fouls.

Cork had a lack of quality forwards, bringing on the likes of Mark Collins hoping he would rescue us was like buying a scratchcard and hoping for the best, shame the likes of John Hayes left the panel when he did.

BUT

Mayo were 100% deserving of the win, ye were so hungry and didnt lack ambition or skill. Horan is turning out to be a great young manager. the day ye won the u-21 all-ireland, i feft Cork were robbed and law of averages bit us up the ass(mayo were overdue the win) but not today, can have no complaints, I believe while we were certainly missing our injured forwards, there's no guarantee they would have a big difference in that 2nd half.

Well done to Mayo. All I hope for now is that Mayo give it 100% again against Kerry and if that isnt enough to win, thats ok, just don't let up against them either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Shocking result was expecting Cork to win but great match by all means, Mayo did themselves proud just wonder how they fair against Kerry. Gas to think Cork are out of the champs in one full scoop! Either of Cork or Mayo could have won towards the end but Mayo played well, no dirty tactics. More traditional type of football!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

no

Advertisement