Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website design info & using visual studios to do it

Options
  • 24-07-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all. This is really two threads in one but they are kinda relevant to each other for what I'm trying to do. First one is about using Visual studios (VS) to create a web page. Second is general info on creating a web page. I have asked a lot here and don't expect any one person to answer it all. Any info on anything is appreciated. Cheers all.

Thread 1
    Does anyone know of decent tutorials for building a website with visual studios. I have done small amounts of coding in college using VS 2005 for simple things like creating calculators with a GUI so I know this is not going to be too easy. I did engineering which incorporated a small bit of coding but you can treat me as a novice.

First off, is there a huge diff between VS 2005 & VS 2010? I ask this because I am hoping to get college tutorials notes from anyone willing to private message them to me. Most colleges will be using VS 2005 and I have VS 2010. Would tutorials for 2005 do for 2010? Have they changed the format of doing things?
    So, if anyone did computer science in college, I would really appreciate if you could forward me some notes on web design through private message.

Thread 2
    I am looking to create a website that is kind of like a forum website (so it needs to have people register on the site). I am hoping to create video's myself and upload them to the site.
    Basically I want a professional looking youtube page. You know the way you can have your own youtube page where people subscribe to you and look at your video's, then they can comment and vote on your video's. I want a website version of this.

So how big is my task?

Is the work load achievable for one maybe two people to do?

What about webspace & bandwidth? Lets say my web page has twenty 1hr video's @ 400 Mb/vid. So total size of all files for website is 8Gb. I have 100 visitors/day looking at 1 video each. How much would it roughly cost on a .ie domain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

smjpl wrote: »
    Hi all. This is really two threads in one but they are kinda relevant to each other for what I'm trying to do. First one is about using Visual studios (VS) to create a web page. Second is general info on creating a web page. I have asked a lot here and don't expect any one person to answer it all. Any info on anything is appreciated. Cheers all.

Thread 1
    Does anyone know of decent tutorials for building a website with visual studios. I have done small amounts of coding in college using VS 2005 for simple things like creating calculators with a GUI so I know this is not going to be too easy. I did engineering which incorporated a small bit of coding but you can treat me as a novice.

First off, is there a huge diff between VS 2005 & VS 2010? I ask this because I am hoping to get college tutorials notes from anyone willing to private message them to me. Most colleges will be using VS 2005 and I have VS 2010. Would tutorials for 2005 do for 2010? Have they changed the format of doing things?
    So, if anyone did computer science in college, I would really appreciate if you could forward me some notes on web design through private message.

VS2010 has a lot more features than 2005 and the UI has been improved a lot, but the fundamentals are still the same so you should be alright.
    Thread 2
    I am looking to create a website that is kind of like a forum website (so it needs to have people register on the site). I am hoping to create video's myself and upload them to the site.
    Basically I want a professional looking youtube page. You know the way you can have your own youtube page where people subscribe to you and look at your video's, then they can comment and vote on your video's. I want a website version of this.

So how big is my task?

Is the work load achievable for one maybe two people to do?

What about webspace & bandwidth? Lets say my web page has twenty 1hr video's @ 400 Mb/vid. So total size of all files for website is 8Gb. I have 100 visitors/day looking at 1 video each. How much would it roughly cost on a .ie domain.

There is a bit of work here as you'll need to implement a membership system so people can upload and subscribe. I'm assuming your website will run off ASP.net as you're developing in VS? If that's the case then you can leverage the out of the box Roles and Membership which ASP.net offers. It will reduce the work you'll need to do.

What you're planning doesn't sound too complex and one experienced developer would have no problem doing it in a month or so. If you're learning from scratch then it could take a good deal longer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭smjpl

Cheers John. That gives me some confidence. Yeah your're correct in thinking I have VS 2010 and using ASP.net.
    I will be doing some of the coding myself but hopefully I will be able to get one or two people who know what they're at to give me a hand. I am in very early stages at the moment and just considering all factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Cheers John. That gives me some confidence. Yeah your're correct in thinking I have VS 2010 and using ASP.net.
    I will be doing some of the coding myself but hopefully I will be able to get one or two people who know what they're at to give me a hand. I am in very early stages at the moment and just considering all factors.

You'll obviously need a database to store the membership and video library data, so that means SQL Server. I'd suggest using Entity Framework as this will significantly reduce the amount of work required. You don't even have to know SQL ;-)

Best of luck and enjoy :)

Advertisement