Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real Cider

Options
  • 24-07-2011 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭

Had some Double L cider yesterday, is absolutely gorgeous, can anyone recommend some other proper ciders that are readily available in Dublin? (I mean ones made from 100% fermented apple juice, with nothing added, not sugary apple juice like Stella or Stronbow btw)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Aspalls is about the only other one around. Hopefully we'll be getting some Stonewell soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Aspall's is fairly decent alright, was hoping there would be few more I haven't tried, can't believe the market for Cider in Ireland is only Bulmers, Strongbow and the other sugary yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Had a bottle of 'Cidre Breton' last night from Redmonds, thought it was decent.

This space for rent.

faigs wrote: »

Will try that next time I'm there.

• Advertisement

Yeah, there are a couple of decent French ones in the good offies, but they're usually much lighter than you might want from a good English or Irish cider.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Yeah, there are a couple of decent French ones in the good offies, but they're usually much lighter than you might want from a good English or Irish cider.

I had a French cider a while back from Redmond's, wasn't Breton as far as I remember but was way too sweet for my taste, I like very dry, tart ciders, its a pity the market here is really just for alcopops like Bulmers and (even worse!) Kopparberg when it comes to cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

French Cider Technocentral:

Could maybe have been a Normandy cider called Gros Oellet 4.5% or Argille Rouge 2% ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I tried the Stonewell the other day.
    I like very much.
    Described as medium dry, it is less sweet than Bulmers and whole lot nicer.
    Bradley's N. Main St. Cork sell it as do Dillon's restaurant Timoleague.

I like very much.
    Oh good. That's the first fully positive review I've seen from someone who isn't involved in the making or selling of it. Really looking forward to trying it.

• Advertisement

I tried the Stonewell the other day.
    I like very much.
    Described as medium dry, it is less sweet than Bulmers and whole lot nicer.
    Bradley's N. Main St. Cork sell it as do Dillon's restaurant Timoleague.

Would like to try it, hope it hits Dublin soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Aspalls is about the only other one around. Hopefully we'll be getting some Stonewell soon.

Is the Aspalls a very pale looking cider, from england? Its sold in the BeerHaus?

Sounds like it all right.

Sounds like it all right.

Cheers mate, don't suppose you'd know where I'd be able to pick up a few bottles of this in Limerick? Had it once in Cork and its bar in far the nicest cider I'd ever had

O'Brien's, maybe? Beer Baron might be able to tell you where else.

O'Brien's, maybe? Beer Baron might be able to tell you where else.

O'Briens yes. I was only on the phone with them this morning about a similar topic.

Macs Off License on the Ennis Road.

Shannon Knights - Shannon have all 3 (Organic, Draught and Premier Cru).

Limerick itself is very weak when it comes to Off Licenses so range can be limited.

The Bierhaus in Galway certainly has it on Draught and Premier Cru in bottles. There are very few places with Aspall on Draught in Ireland per capita but the ones whom have it do fairly ok by it. A good number of bars have it by the bottle though.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    O'Briens yes. I was only on the phone with them this morning about a similar topic.

Macs Off License on the Ennis Road.

Shannon Knights - Shannon have all 3 (Organic, Draught and Premier Cru).

Limerick itself is very weak when it comes to Off Licenses so range can be limited.

The Bierhaus in Galway certainly has it on Draught and Premier Cru in bottles. There are very few places with Aspall on Draught in Ireland per capita but the ones whom have it do fairly ok by it. A good number of bars have it by the bottle though.

Cheers mate, Macs is just a walk away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Had some Double L cider yesterday, is absolutely gorgeous, can anyone recommend some other proper ciders that are readily available in Dublin? (I mean ones made from 100% fermented apple juice, with nothing added, not sugary apple juice like Stella or Stronbow btw)

Bulmers. :pac:

bigneacy wrote: »
    Uses large amounts of corn syrup and unfermented sugar. As a result, tastes almost nothing like cider.

bigneacy wrote: »

I am guessing your being facetious, Bulmers isn't cider, its an alcopop. Real cider has an apple juice content of above 85%, Bulmers has a huge amount of sugar and chemicals added, they shouldn't be allowed to call it cider.

• Advertisement

I have a few litres of the Elusive Aspall 100% Apple Juice at home. Not on sale here but they sent over a few cases of it. I'm telling you, it's a really fantastic Apple Juice.

faigs wrote: »

Got a small bottle of it in Devaneys to try, is ok but a bit too sweet for my taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Currently over in Normandy at the moment and have one case of Demi- sec local cider secured with another to get on Thursday. That will keep me going a few weeks :)

Advertisement