Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of help with thesis

• 24-07-2011 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭

My friend is toying with the idea of asking a PhD student to look over their MA thesis and make suggestions re. the thesis - e.g. structure, content, argument, etc. Does anyone know how much he'd expect to pay for this? Is it done on a per chapter basis? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Surely your friend is doing their MA under the supervision of a lecturer? If so, then he/she is the person who should be looking over the thesis and advising.

When I did my MSc, that was what happened. My supervisor checked the thesis, as did my internal examiner. Both made recommendations before it was sent to the external examiner prior to submission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Delphi91 wrote: »
    Surely your friend is doing their MA under the supervision of a lecturer? If so, then he/she is the person who should be looking over the thesis and advising.

The supervisor is abroad at the moment owing to a family bereavement, so the student just wanted to give their final draft to somebody to have a look at it before giving it to their supervisor when they get home early next month. It's more for peace of mind than anything, as far as I can make out, the same way a student will get somebody to read over their essay/course work before they submit it to the lecturer.
    When I did my MSc, that was what happened. My supervisor checked the thesis, as did my internal examiner. Both made recommendations before it was sent to the external examiner prior to submission.

He's doing an MA, so there are no internal examiners, only an external examiner, so it's only the supervisor who reads the thesis before it's submitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

I wouldnt bother......until a PhD student has written, (and re-written :D) their thesis a few time they wont be much use in correcting it.....they are afterall only students themselves. Best to ask a postdoc if they wouldnt mind looking it over.......and noone should charge you for that!

Advertisement