Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambulance and A and E cost?

Options
  • 24-07-2011 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Hi. I had to get an ambulance last night and spent time in a cubicle in A and E. Can anybody advise me of the bill I'm likely to receive for all this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MsBojangles

I think that the standard cost for A&E is €100 and not sure whether that includes the ambulance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

A&E is €100, useless Irish school teachers politicians are on for raising it in the budget to €120, Ambulance is free.

It's for nothing really (the price), it's heavily subsidised and theirs loads of people trying to not pay it who were glad to receive care and burdening the system further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 JonathanAd

Yes Guys you are saying it true as health care prices are increasing heavily and people are not finding themselves able to pay for it. What you guys think who should be more responsible for it, Politicians?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ambulance services are provided free of charge, *if you have a medical card or are an OAP*. If you are not a pensioner or do not have a medical card- the HSE are entitled to charge you- and whether they charge you or not depends on what part of the country you are in. They have the option of waiving the charge on hardship grounds if you can't afford it.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/emergency_health_services/ambulance_and_transport_services.html

If you get a letter from your GP (ideally you're supposed to present at A&E with the letter) there is no charge for A&E services.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

smccarrick wrote: »
    Ambulance services are provided free of charge, *if you have a medical card or are an OAP*. If you are not a pensioner or do not have a medical card- the HSE are entitled to charge you- and whether they charge you or not depends on what part of the country you are in. They have the option of waiving the charge on hardship grounds if you can't afford it.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/emergency_health_services/ambulance_and_transport_services.html

If you get a letter from your GP (ideally you're supposed to present at A&E with the letter) there is no charge for A&E services.

S.

hmmm this gets me thinking!! I wonder do I have a bill with my name on it! Though I haven't received anything in writing I ended up going to a GP but needed an ambulance from GP's surgery

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

nicechick! wrote: »
    hmmm this gets me thinking!! I wonder do I have a bill with my name on it! Though I haven't received anything in writing I ended up going to a GP but needed an ambulance from GP's surgery

All you need is a referral note- not a bill from your GP, though obviously a bill from your GP would prove that you'd visited your GP's surgery. They do waive A&E charges too- particularly as there are increasing numbers of employed people who simply can't afford them- but you cannot rely on them to waive this charge- you need to call them and talk to them. It is worth calling them ASAP- as they have a ridiculous policy of sending all debts to collection agencies after only 10 days (10 days, not working days- but it will vary from hospital to hospital.........) Ring them.........

Advertisement