Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spousal Visa (USA)

• 24-07-2011 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hey there,

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who moved to the USA using a spousal visa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I have. US embassy in Dublin are friendly, but a stickler for details and correctly filled in forms. If you plan on doing DCF, remember that ends August 15th.

What do you want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭thecelt

Does the whole process take long?

You have to do a medical?

We can file the paperwork from here?

Is it just Form I-130?

I had a fiance visa previously but seeing as we moved back to Ireland, we had left my residency expire.
    When i went over on that visa I wasnt able to work for about 6 months,
    Is it the same with this visa or?

If you file before August 15th, you can file directly with the embassy, and the process will take 2-3 months. If you file after, you will have to file via the USA, and the process takes 8-10 months; you can still file from here, by post.

Yes you have to do a medical- a physical, blood drawn and x-ray, same as for the K1 you had.

The I-130 is the main form, but there are also biographical forms, passport photos, the fee etc. The Dublin US Embassy website has details.

You are married more than 2 years now, I assume? If so, you will get an IR-1 visa and an immediate 10 year greencard upon entry, so no more immigration paperwork until naturalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭thecelt

after you get granted the ok from uscis is there a timeframe that you must enter the usa?

once there, is there a timeframe where you cant leave or can you come and go immediately?

You have 6 months to use the visa. At your point of entry (airport), you get a stamp on the visa page in your passport which will act as a temporary greencard until you get the physical card in the mail a few weeks later. You can work and travel immediately, but must be inside the USA more than outside in any given year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Roche

Be sure your paperwork is in order and it will be a smooth process. 2-3 months is the typical timeframe and they issue you a temp green card which you update 2 years later. The folks at the embassy are nice and easy to work with as long as your documentation is in order.

Advertisement