Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweeney's Pub, Ramelton, Established 1795

Options
  • 25-07-2011 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Overlooking the river in Ramelton. On a recent trip to Ramelton i was amazed to see this pub still standing.

It was where my great grandad met his wife in the 1890s!

Anyone got any info on the pub and when it was closed for ever etc?

:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Never heard of it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Moved from AH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Overlooking the river in Ramelton. On a recent trip to Ramelton i was amazed to see this pub still standing.

<SNIP>

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

funk-you wrote: »
    <snip>

-Funk
    You're not in AH now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

muffler wrote: »
    You're not in AH now.

It was when i clicked reply. Delete if you think it's inappropriate in this forum. I don't mind.

-Funk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

1795.... muffler woulda been just hittin drinking age around then, i'm sure he'd have a few good tales to tell

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

danniemcq wrote: »
    1795.... muffler woulda been just hittin drinking age around then, i'm sure he'd have a few good tales to tell
    Remind me where Ramelton is again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Is it called the bridge bar now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dmaher1

here ya go - pass it on my way to Carrigart
    http://www.ramelton.net/Pubs/BridgeBar.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Are you sure? It would have been wholly inappropriate for a female to be frequenting a pub back in the 1890's. In fact, it would have been inappropriate for a 'lady' to frequent a pub until the seventies, and even then...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CelticIreland

You're right. She wasn't frequenting the pub, she worked there and he owned it.

It's not now the Bridge Bar. The pub is still standing in what looks like the old part of town and may well be a listed building. It's been closed a long time by the looks of it.

In fact it looks the same as the buildings in the link to the Ramelton site posted above.

On the gable end wall it says Sweeney's Pub, Established 1795.

You're right. She wasn't frequenting the pub, she worked there and he owned it.

Your great grandmother was a Tavern Wench? :eek:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that it might be the really old style pub that closed about four years ago.

Think it's been closed a wee while longer than that.

;)

sweeneypub2.jpg

sweeneypubfront.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

What you are looking at there is the back enterance to the pub, the pub itself is on the other street behind that building.http://www.flickr.com/photos/24881422@N03/4818227277/

Contact Ramelton Town Hall committee. They will be able to tell you all you want to know...

I was told that pub you are referring to was called Sweeney's, a Louie Sweeney who also owned a barber's shop in Ramelton.

I don't think they're a relative though and my real interest is in the Sweeney's pub that was established 1795.

Are you saying the pub that is est in 1795 is actually the building in your pic and the older building was a different entrance?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

annascott wrote: »
    Are you sure? It would have been wholly inappropriate for a female to be frequenting a pub back in the 1890's. In fact, it would have been inappropriate for a 'lady' to frequent a pub until the seventies, and even then...

Even still ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

I was told that pub you are referring to was called Sweeney's, a Louie Sweeney who also owned a barber's shop in Ramelton.

I don't think they're a relative though and my real interest is in the Sweeney's pub that was established 1795.

Are you saying the pub that is est in 1795 is actually the building in your pic and the older building was a different entrance?

:)

Correct as the building behind were used as stores

annascott wrote: »
    Contact Ramelton Town Hall committee. They will be able to tell you all you want to know...

Would you have any contact details for them?

:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement