Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemara Mackerel with apples

Options
  • 25-07-2011 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

I feel that Normandy, with its climate, mixed Celtic and Norman heritage and its food produce is a great place for us to look at, with dairy, seafood, meat and fruit more like our own than the rest of France.

This dish could not be simpler, with sustainable fish and home grown veg and fruit. This really is one of my favorite meals.

Use a good medium-dry cider to make a fairly sharp sauce.
    This will contrast well with the rich definite flavour of the mackerel.
    The apple cuts through the oily-ness of the fish.

There's nothing fancy about this dish, the only advice I'd give is to try and find a good English real cider if you can.

•Fresh whole mackerel (one each)
    •Enough dry cider to come half way up the fish (about 1 or 2 wine glasses)
    •1 large Bramley Apple,diced
    •1 large onion, sliced
    •White Pepper
    •tsp whole grain mustard

Preheat the oven to moderate hot 180 C - gas 4
    Gut, clean and wipe the mackerel with a bit of kitchen paper.
    Put it in an overnproof dish with the onion, cider, mustard and a little pepper.
    Peel, core and chop the apples into smallish chunks.
    Push some of them into the middle of the mackerel and place the rest round.
    Spoon the cider over them and the fish.
    Cover the dish and put in the oven or 15 mins.
    Remove the cover and cook for another 15 mins.
    Lift the fish out onto a warm plate and pop in the (now switched off) oven leaving the door ajar.
    Pour the juices into a small pan with some of the apples.
    Cook fairly quickly, mashing up the soft apples, to make a sauce.
    Put the remaining apples round the fish and pour the sauce over.
    Serve with potatoes and some nice garden green - spinach or chard is great with this.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

simonj wrote: »
    There's nothing fancy about this dish, the only advice I'd give is to try and find a good English real cider if you can.

I'd recommend finding a good Irish real cider like this or this.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

Thanks for those links, will definatly check them out - Not much of a cider person so that area needs research ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

Thanks again for the Stonewell link, blog updated and a link provided to them

Advertisement