Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying NSW reg'd car in Vic

Options
  • 25-07-2011 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Hi guys I need some advice.

I live in Melbourne and on Monday I'm planning to drive up to Queensland.

I just had an offer accepted for a car with a NSW registration that is being sold here in Melbourne.

I looked up what I need to do to transfer ownership and I can't make sense of it.

It looks like the NSW version of a Road Worthy Certificate is called a Pink Slip. I need one of these to transfer ownership right? Can I get one off a Mechanic in Victoria? Can we do the paperwork with VicRoads or does it have to be done in NSW?

What other requirements are there? It looks like in NSW third-party insurance is mandatory and you need a "green slip" from an insurer as well. Is this the case?

In order to transfer ownership and then renew registration when it's up in a few months, do I need a NSW address? I'll be a nomad at that stage with no address.

Note: I want to keep the NSW reg because it gives the option of extending for 3/6/12 months whereas Victoria only has 12 month reg option unless you're on disability/welfare/pensioner (I think)

P.S. I've done a search on the forum but couldn't find this info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I've managed to clarify some things so in-case anyone else finds themselves in this situation this might help:

A NSW reg'd car doesn't need a pink-slip (NSW version of Road Worthy Cert) when ownership is transferred. Instead, pink-slips must be provided to renew registration.

After filling out the ownership-transfer paperwork. I have 14 days to register the paperwork.

You can only file the paperwork at a NSW roads authority office (I think it's called the RTA up there). You can't do it in any other state.

To renew a NSW registration, it seems you need to have evidence that you live at an address in the state. Or you can get a NSW resident to go with you and say they've known you for more than 12 months and you're staying at their gaff or something like that. Don't know how I'm going to get around this one - but might get my bank to send some statements to a NSW hostel or something.

I guess you could it should be obvious that you'd need to be in NSW to do this stuff, but it's also very inconvenient. Sort it out Australia.

Advertisement