Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood type O negative - Anti D?

Options
  • 25-07-2011 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

28 weeks pregnant here, first baby.

So I was flipping through the old Holles St chart and I happened to notice that my blood type is O negative. I didn't know this before I got pregnant, and nobody has mentioned anything to me so far.

I thought that Rh neg pregnant women were supposed to get the anti-d injection at 28 weeks? I told the midwife at the last appointment but tbh she was worse than useless. I had a few different problems I wanted to talk to her about (including an emergency admission to the hospital) and I got pushed out the door in under ten minutes because it was lunchtime. Basically I'm getting the "Ah sure it's grand".

Just worried that I might have had a "silent bleed" earlier on in the pregnancy and now the baby is at risk of haemolytic disease of the newborn - very very bad thing.

Anyone got any advice/words of reassurance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

As far as I know the anti-D injection is given after your baby is born is it not? I know a friend of mine was rhesus negative and she only mentioned an injection after the first pregnancy, I don't recall her mentioning an injection during it?

Usually all the clinics start at 1pm and they have a roll over staff, so I don't know why she would have pushed you out the door because it was lunchtime, but you can go to the hospital at any time and be seen as an emergency, they will review you and either send you home or admit you depending on what's wrong. Stand your ground with them if you feel you're getting pushed around, it's your health and your baby so if you're not sure about something make sure they explain it to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's only an issue if the father is Rhesus positive.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm actually not sure if I had it. I must check that out. All 3 of us are Rh- though. I know I knew the baby's blood type before leaving the hospital so maybe they check before administering the anti-d?

I know the general practice is to give it after the birth unless you have a fall or a knock as your body will only make antibodies if your blood and the baby's mix.

I was also given a card to carry with me stating I was pregnant and Rh- in case there was an accident. It also has a phone number on it to call if I had a fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭soddy1979

I believe it has no effect on this pregnancy, even if you had a silent bleed. It will only affect future pregnancies.

That being said, you should obviously speak to your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Here's a link for some info you might find helpful.. but talk to your GP on the next visit as they usually give you a bit more time. .

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/complications/whatisrhesusstatus/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Anti D is given in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters if there is any trauma which may have caused bleeding, or if there is any form of Antepartun haemhorrage, as these are the scenarios that fetal blood may come into contact with maternal blood.

You will be given the anti-d injection after the baby is born if your partner is rhesus positive, or even if it is not known what blood type your partner is.

This is because if your partner is rhesus positive, your baby's blood group may also be rhesus positive. If the 'rhesus' comes into contact with maternal blood, your body will see it as a foreign body and produce antibodies which may then attack your baby.

The anti-d will be given after the birth of your baby as a preventative for any further pregnancies. Fetal blood is likely to come into contact with maternal blood during the birth so your body will then produce antibodies which will be present for the next pregnancy and be dangerous for future pregnancies.

I hope this helps!

And on a side note, Oneg is the most valuable type of blood so get donating! Its the only blod that can be given in an emergency situation without knowing the patients blood group.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭deeduck48

Hi bobobear!
    Im Rh Neg, and 35wks on my first. have no clue what my OH's blood and he is petrified of needles!:) Because my da is O+ and my ma is O- she had to have the Anti D too.
    So i knew all about this, since i was a baba myself. was enjoying a nice meal last monday night with OH for 1 yr wedding anniversary when went to bathroom and when i wiped (sorry TMI) i say a few drops of fresh blood.panicked , carefully wiped again, ( to see where it was from- sorry)another drop of blood. I had howwever read that spotting was perfectly normal , so i was shook and told OH but that was all there was.
    Anyway, went to MWC on thurs for a normal checkup with OH, and she said anything unusual, and i casually mentioned it, she flipped thru d chart and hit the roof, saying because i was O- ANY bleed at ALL, and I need to come in straight away!!!!:eek:we were both terrified, she had to send me for a scan, and they decided to order d Anti-D and take bloods.this meant an extra 2 hrs in hospital, and i had to go back in on fri to get Anti D.
    Had to sign forms and read side effects before i got it in d muscle of my upper arm.:(ouch. but worth the pain for baba.internet had said no serious side effects and MW said i could drive but had to get out on way home as got serious headache.Couldnt do much all friday evening, very tired and spaced out.but worth it if it means baby is ok. :DPm me if you want:)
    MW said they prefer to give it before baby comes, because if the placenta comes away and baby's blood gets in to mother then, mother could have immune response then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

OP - I'm O neg, Rh negative and I was given an anti-D injection the day after each of my children were born. Don't think I got anything during either pregnancy, and unlike deeduck48 was never advised to have emergency treatment/scans if there was any sort of antenatal bleeding. True, I never had any sort of bleeding but surely if it's that crucial they should've given a general heads-up so we'd know to call someone if there had been :rolleyes:

Anyway, as far as I was informed during my pregs, the Anti-D is only to protect future pregnancies (as Crazy Cat Lady said), not the preg you're currently on.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

I am RH negative and just had my daughter 4months ago,i was told that i didnt need the anti D injection unless i blead and was told to come straight in for it if i got a fall or any trama to my stomach.i was also told that it does'nt affect your first pregnancy as much more your second pregnancy.Didnt get any anti D injection during my pregnancy or afterwards,was told my baby had same blood type as me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 watawaster

Ok, why are you asking these questions on boards.ie and not your GP? .. i mean forget the nurse

Because this is your first pregnancy your baby is at no risk of suffering from haemolytic disease of the newborn. HDN can only occur upon your second exposure to Rh D positive red blood cells (i.e. your second pregnancy).

A large transplacental bleed during the first pregnancy (99.9% of the time occurring during childbirth) may initiate an immune response in the Rh D negative mother. Administration of Anti D following childbirth prevents this from happening and hence prevents the production of antibodies by the mother that may cross the placenta upon a second pregnancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Hi OP

Like you I am O Neg and my hubby is O Pos
    The first thing I would say is that your RH neg blood will only be an issue if your partner's blood group is RH positive, if he has RH negative blood then your baby will be RH Negative as well so it will not be an issue

If like me your OH is RH Positive then you will require the Anti-D injection
    I got it when my eldest was about 12 weeks old I don't remember it being sore as described above but I was in pain enough at the time anyway

I got it again after Aisling was born at Christmas but never during my pregnancy

If you are concerned talk to your doctor or nurse
    But try not to stress too much its not good for the babs!

Forgot to say on my previous post that they will take cord blood samples at birth and if baba is rh-ve you will not need the anti-d. Obviously they can't test the baby's blood group prior to birth and that is why if there is any trauma or bleeding you will need the anti-d as a precaution.

The things you forget when you're out of practice for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Hi OP

Like you I am O Neg and my hubby is O Pos
    The first thing I would say is that your RH neg blood will only be an issue if your partner's blood group is RH positive, if he has RH negative blood then your baby will be RH Negative as well so it will not be an issue

If like me your OH is RH Positive then you will require the Anti-D injection
    I got it when my eldest was about 12 weeks old I don't remember it being sore as described above but I was in pain enough at the time anyway

I got it again after Aisling was born at Christmas but never during my pregnancy

If you are concerned talk to your doctor or nurse
    But try not to stress too much its not good for the babs!

Im Rh- and my partner is Rh+...our first daughter was born Rh-

collegeme wrote: »
    Im Rh- and my partner is Rh+...our first DD was born Rh-

Rhesus positive = DD or Dd
    Rhesus negative = dd

Your partner must have one rhesus dominant gene and one rhesus recessive gene, so his make up looks like Dd. As he has 1 big D, he is rhesus positive as the big D is dominant. As he passes one gene to your baby, and so do you, there will always be a 50% chance of him either passing the dominant or recessive gene. He must have passed the recessive gene (d) to your daughter, and as you only have 2 recessive genes you also passed one too making her rhesus negative (dd).

If your partner had 2 dominant genes (DD) then all of your children would be rhesus positive as he can only pass on a dominant gene and there only has to be one present for a blood group to become rhesus positive

I don't know if that makes sense or not! I think its really interesting! Love genetics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

Rhesus positive = DD or Dd
    Rhesus negative = dd

Your partner must have one rhesus dominant gene and one rhesus recessive gene, so his make up looks like Dd. As he has 1 big D, he is rhesus positive as the big D is dominant. As he passes one gene to your baby, and so do you, there will always be a 50% chance of him either passing the dominant or recessive gene. He must have passed the recessive gene (d) to your daughter, and as you only have 2 recessive genes you also passed one too making her rhesus negative (dd).

If your partner had 2 dominant genes (DD) then all of your children would be rhesus positive as he can only pass on a dominant gene and there only has to be one present for a blood group to become rhesus positive

I don't know if that makes sense or not! I think its really interesting! Love genetics :D

By "our first DD" i meant our first dear daughter ;)....you know your stuff :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

collegeme wrote: »
    By "our first DD" i meant our first dear daughter ;)....you know your stuff :)

And I've edited your post accordingly, abbreviations such as DD, DS etc are not allowed on this forum. Please read the charter in full.

Advertisement