Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this normal?

Options
  • 25-07-2011 3:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭

im unsure where to put this!

But im in my very early 20's and for the last year or so, all ive wanted was a kid! everywhere i go i see pregnant women or women with babies :(

has anyone else my age experienced this? i wanna know is wanting a child at my age normal?

And too make matters worse, im 3 weeks late and got my hopes up, and then, done 3 tests, All negative :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

You're a woman with maternal instincts, sounds pretty normal to me! Its only our modern society that tells us that 20 is too young to start having babies. We start ovulating in our early teens, this is when our bodies become physically ready to start reproducing. Go back 50-100 years and how old was the average age to start a family? I know my mum was 17 when she became pregnant with me (and that was only 29 years ago!)

With womens rights and equality and all that, more and more women focus on their career before stating a family, and thats perfectly ok, but thats not to say that they haven't had maternal instincts for many years.

I remeber talking with my husband when we first met (I was 20) and we were discussing how we wanted a mini bus full of children! Not sure we quite feel the same now that we have 1!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Plenty of time in your late 20's for children:) but yes it is normal .
    Try to wait until after college until you have done a bit of traveling and have good jobs.
    I am in my late 20s have 2 daughters,want more and still get bump envy!! and coo over little babies:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Ah totally normal I reckon!! Especially with the baby boom going on at the moment! babies and bumps everywhere!!!
    I've been quite broody on and off since my early 20's as well, but like crazy cat lady and moonbeam both said- i wanted to finish college etc before starting to have babies!
    Am 26 now and pregnant, and it was very much a surprise- I am delighted but still would love to have been finished college first and have done a bit more travelling and just-me living!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 midnightdream

I think its normal and Ireland is in a Baby Boom so there are indeed a lot of Bumps and Babys around!
    And I guess its normal to feel that way. I am 31 and 3 month gone, I soooo look forward having a Baby now but I must say I did enjoy the travelling and all the stuff you cant do with a Baby, but everyone is different!
    And GP is the best bet if you want to be 100% sure if your pregnant!

Advertisement