Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build, €1,000 budget, what do ye heads think?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Apart from gaming what will this be used for? I've heard that the core i7 can actually negatively affect frame rates in games. It's something to do with hyper-threading so turning that off will fix that but doing so kinda defeats the point in using an i7. If it's just gaming and tasks that won't benefit from multi-threading stick to the i5 2500k or i5 2500. Get the former if you want to or plan on overclocking.

You could probably get away with spending less on the ram without any noticeable drop in quality or performance. Then you can spend the money you save on a better card or an SSD. Actually, even if it brings you over budget, get an SSD, they're brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Apart from gaming what will this be used for? I've heard that the core i7 can actually negatively affect frame rates in games. It's something to do with hyper-threading so turning that off will fix that but doing so kinda defeats the point in using an i7. If it's just gaming and tasks that won't benefit from multi-threading stick to the i5 2500k or i5 2500. Get the former if you want to or plan on overclocking.

You could probably get away with spending less on the ram without any noticeable drop in quality or performance. Then you can spend the money you save on a better card or an SSD. Actually, even if it brings you over budget, get an SSD, they're brilliant.

Apart from gaming, well with my current usage mainly just menial stuff - word processing, MS office, light photo editing and teh interwebz, videos and music but no video editing (yet :P ). I'm sorta starting out in webdesign too, so I'd like to futureproof it in that regard with potential for the need for good graphics/photo handling capability.

I know a couple of folks with the 2500K and think it's the bees knees but I have the money to uppity to a 2600K. Of course I'd rather save it if it's gonna cause issues. Would cheaper RAM be more likely to fail, or all in all worth the saving now in the knowledge that it can be replaced down the line if absolutely nessecary?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭jack888

SSD, you need one. Put one in desktop I just build, everything is quicker on an SSD. My windows boots in 24 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Just saw something on... Anandtech, I think. They tested RAM from 1333 CL9 to 2133 CL9 and a bunch of stuff in between. Know how much difference there was? Five points - yup, five whole points - in 3DMark 11 Performance preset.

Get cheap RAM. :)

• Advertisement

Think I will install an SSD and pay for most of it by swopping the processor to an i5 - on mature reflection the difference between the 2500K and 2600K seems to be 0.1GhZ, and the i7 branding only.

As far as cheaper RAM goes - I've had issues with G-Skill stuff before, I don't like it - would this corsair stuff be of similar vein?
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CL9

As for the PSU, next - is it a case of get what you pay for? I'm willing to pay an extra 20 blips to get something that will last me at least 3 years here. Is 650W enough to futureproof a bit? I was looking at Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 instead of the HX one as it's €27 cheaper.

If it makes a difference, the system I'm coming from (and looking for a twofold performance increase over) is as follows:
    Thermaltake Armor (bits missing, cant re-use) Toughpower 750W, Gainward ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB, 2x1GB Corsair CL9, 2x1GB G-Skill CL9, 500GB Spinpoint, Intel Core2Duo E6850 3GhZ, Asus P5N-32E.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

sdeire wrote: »
    Think I will install an SSD and pay for most of it by swopping the processor to an i5 - on mature reflection the difference between the 2500K and 2600K seems to be 0.1GhZ, and the i7 branding only.

As far as cheaper RAM goes - I've had issues with G-Skill stuff before, I don't like it - would this corsair stuff be of similar vein?
    8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CL9

As for the PSU, next - is it a case of get what you pay for? I'm willing to pay an extra 20 blips to get something that will last me at least 3 years here. Is 650W enough to futureproof a bit? I was looking at Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 instead of the HX one as it's €27 cheaper.

If it makes a difference, the system I'm coming from (and looking for a twofold performance increase over) is as follows:
    Thermaltake Armor (bits missing, cant re-use) Toughpower 750W, Gainward ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB, 2x1GB Corsair CL9, 2x1GB G-Skill CL9, 500GB Spinpoint, Intel Core2Duo E6850 3GhZ, Asus P5N-32E.

Would you be overclocking at all?
    The ram looks fine, and its rated at 1.5v, as for whatever reason the sandybridge chipset doesn't like 1.65v. If you do intened to overclock the only problem would be the heatspreader as they are quite tall.

Could you reuse the toughpower 750w from your previous build?

Burgo wrote: »
    Would you be overclocking at all?
    The ram looks fine, and its rated at 1.5v, as for whatever reason the sandybridge chipset doesn't like 1.65v. If you do intened to overclock the only problem would be the heatspreader as they are quite tall.

Could you reuse the toughpower 750w from your previous build?

I'd be happy enough at stock starting out, but I'd like to overclock later on.

The toughpower has been on 12 hours a day minimum for about 3 years. This PC is failing, with BSODs daily - I have no idea what component is at fault (I;ve tried memtest, reseating RAM, rewiring, cleaning all the dust out) or even if it's only the one of them. Just wanna start fresh - only thing I might re-use would be the optical drives.

As for the RAM, I'm now looking at the low-profile stuff to avoid issues with an aftermarket heatsink.

How long does shipping take from HWV, presuming you pay by paypal?

Also, comments on the EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked, 1024MB, PCI-Express which is a little cheaper again?

What I have so far: 274b1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Definitely go for the low profile RAM, those high heat spreaders will be torture to work with when installing CPU heatsinks.

The SSD, you should go for a good SATA 6Gbs one to get the most out of it. The Crucial M4 generally gets the recommendations as it's very fast and very reliable.
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=46113&agid=1145&lb

The HDD, at the moment the Samsung SpinPoints seem to be the top of the market. Plus the fact it's so much cheaper than the WD one you have I would definitely switch to it.
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28152&agid=689

I know next to nothing about thermal compound and in fact I have seem some people saying really once it's not unbranded you will barely notice any difference. But I have seem most people recommend Arctic Cooling as a brand to be one of the best, either the MX-2 or MX-4. I only mention this because both of them are cheaper than the one you have above.
    MX-2
    MX-4

CPU cooler, in that price range these two get recommendations regularly
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7
    Cooler Master Hyper TX3
    But I know nothing about the one you choose, try a quick googling of it for reviews.

I think I will leave the rest of your choices alone, they all look good to me :)

Think I'm going to leave out the SSD for now. I can always add it into the system at a later date. The reason being that I can't really justify €175 on a 128GB and 64Gb is just too small when you factory in that's 55GB of usable space and Windows 7 will take up to 20GB of that off me instantly.

Those coolers are Socket 1156, no use to me but thanks anyway :P I did say it had been a while - did go for the cheaper paste though. Gonna place an order in next day or two I think, barring any other contibutions.

Cheers for the input so far folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

sdeire wrote: »
    Those coolers are Socket 1156, no use to me but thanks anyway.

Sockets 1155 and 1156 use the same heatsink mounting layout; they'll work just fine.

Right, all ordered. Couldn't use HWV as I have no credit card, and trying to register my Dad's on my paypal...well, world of pain.

What I went for was the following from Komplett:

Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced - Mid tower - ATX ( EPS12V/ PS/2 ) - black - USB/FireWire/Audio 1 €89.95 €89.95
    Processor - 1 x Intel Core i5 2500K / 3.3 GHz - LGA1155 Socket - L3 6 MB - Box 1 €185.00 €185.00
    TX V2 Series. 650 Watt. ATX. Power Supply. EU Ver 1 €86.95 €86.95
    Power Adapter from Schuko to UK adapter 1 €0.00 €0.00
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 Desktop Class HD103SJ - Hard drive - 1 TB - internal - 3.5" - SATA-300 - 7200 1 €53.50 €53.50
    BenQ 24" Wide TFT 5MS/DVI G2420HD 1 €149.95 €149.95
    Power Adapter from Schuko to UK adapter 1 €0.00 €0.00
    Antistatic Wrist band including ground cord 1 €8.45 €8.45
    Cooler Master Hyper TX 3 - Processor cooler - ( Socket 754, Socket 940, Socket 775, Socket 939, 1 €19.95 €19.95

And from Pixmania (I know about the horror stories, but I've never had an ounce of trouble, touch wood, and quick delivery and only a few bits):

ARCTIC SILVER Artic Silver 5 Thermo Paste- 3.5 g Syringe 1 € 4.05 € 4.05
    MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II - 1 GB GDDR5 - PCI-Express 2.0 (N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC) 1 € 173.47 € 173.47
    ASUS P8P67 PRO (rev. 3.1) - 1155 Socket - P67 Chipset - ATX 1 € 123.88 € 123.88
    Corsair 2 x 4 GB DDR3-1600 - PC3-12800 - CL9 Vengeance LP PC Memory Modules (CML8GX3M2A1600C9) 1 € 57.02 € 57.02
    Express delivery with UPS 24-48 hours € 17.35 € 17.35

Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You don't need a credit card with HWV, you can use a bank transfer!

Advertisement