Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just bought this for €2000

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

djrichard wrote: »
    Ive been to the bank, withdrawn the money and TCP/IP is on route. ETA about 5 minutes, it feels like Christmas! I even took a photo of the money to remind me what it looked like....

So, eh, where abouts do you live and what kind of car does he drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

free-candy-truck-1.jpg

something like this maybe?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

hahaha too late! Its been delivered already. What a machine, only sad part is that Im training someone today, so I HAVE to go to work. By the time I get home there will be a few 1080p movies and ARMA 2 downloaded.

I'd like to say thanks to everyone who vouched for TCP/IP, nice guy and very friendly.

Finally, Id like to thank TCP/IP for delivering it exactly when you said you would and I hope you enjoy your new imac tonight.

Amazon delivery man arrived this morning to present me with my new left-handed Razer Deathadder 3500dpi gaming mouse & Razer Goliath extended speed mouse pad. What a difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Beast of a gaming PC - only plays Angry Birds ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

I'm jealous! Bf3 no doubt wil llook amazing on that setup!

I ordered this last night. Wont arrive until around the 13-15th of this month. Cant wait. I will get some pics up soon enough.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5211092/art/sennheiser/pc360-headset.html

I got it for around 150euros though from Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I got it for around 150euros though from Amazon.
    Your headset costs more than my graphics card. Now I have the upgrading itch.
    I'm very jealous of you.

Your headset costs more than my graphics card. Now I have the upgrading itch.
    I'm very jealous of you.

Dont be jealous, join in! Ive not been out drinking or anything since I decided to get this pc, so its not even costing me any extra money, it just means that after each weekend passes, Ive got something to show for my hard work.

I read now that I may need to get a dedicated soundcard to get the full benefit from these headphones. My mobo is an Asus P8P67pro rev B, Id hoped the onboard sound would be good enough, but according to audiophiles everywhere, onboard sound isnt up to true hi-fi standards. Ive emailed Sennheiser last night and explained this to them and asked what they recommend. So I will have to wait and see. Delivery isnt expected until 13/14th so I have time to order a soundcard if need be.

Had this pc for a few months now. Added a couple of things and decided to take some quick pics with my camera phone, which is a warning to excuse the blurry images.

The photo with one monitor is after a few weeks, then I started adding things making my desk look messy and cluttered!

Added since purchase. Scythe triple foot switches, Sennheiser PC360 Headset, X-Fi Fatal1ty Soundcard, Track ir5, Wireless 360 controller for windows, Logitech G27 wheel, Logitech z-10 speakers, Philips amBX Wind and light, another Dell U2711 2560x1440 IPS, Razer Deathadder 3500dpi Left handed edition Mouse, Razer Goliathus Control Extended Mousepad, Canon MG5250 Printer/Scanner, Computer Chair and a Computer Desk. Oh and a clan customised BF3 mug and coaster set! :D

My next thing will either be to buy another GTX580, or sell my current one and buy an ATI card and also get another U2711 for triple screen driving! Im toying with the idea of buying a racing seat as well, much better than sitting at my desk.

whenifirstbuiltpc.jpgrearmonitor.jpgfrontcase.jpgcpucooler.jpg16GBRAM.jpgSSD.jpgGTX580.jpgmobo.jpgfootswitches.jpgg27.jpgsennhesiserpc360.jpgdesklightson.jpgdeskandchair.jpgkeyboard.jpg

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    Beast of a gaming PC - only plays Angry Birds ;)

Ive now clocked up nearly 300 hours of gaming on BF3 so far! hahaha

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/soldier/djrichardgrant/stats/239301425/

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Had this pc for a few months now. Added a couple of things and decided to take some quick pics with my camera phone, which is a warning to excuse the blurry images.

The photo with one monitor is after a few weeks, then I started adding things making my desk look messy and cluttered!

Added since purchase. Scythe triple foot switches, Sennheiser PC360 Headset, X-Fi Fatal1ty Soundcard, Track ir5, Wireless 360 controller for windows, Logitech G27 wheel, Logitech z-10 speakers, Philips amBX Wind and light, another Dell U2711 2560x1440 IPS, Razer Deathadder 3500dpi Left handed edition Mouse, Razer Goliathus Control Extended Mousepad, Canon MG5250 Printer/Scanner, Computer Chair and a Computer Desk. Oh and a clan customised BF3 mug and coaster set! :D

Tell me more about that chair, ya got a link for it? Looks comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Looks a bit like this

deejer wrote: »
    Tell me more about that chair, ya got a link for it? Looks comfortable.

Its extremely comfortable. The only problem I have with it, is its creaking a fair bit now. Ive tightened the allen bolts loads of times, if I tighten them anymore they are in danger of stripping the thread.

Its by far and away the best office chair Ive had. I often forget how good it is, because Im used to it, except when Im on another office chair for a while and I start shifting around in it with a sore bum! Ive never had that despite sitting in this thing for hours and hours on end.

It might be worth trying to have a search for Viking Direct discount vouchers, they often have sales.

There is also quite some difference in price if you compare it in the UK and here in Ireland.

Here are a couple of links, that if anything, confirm what we all suspected about rip-off Ireland.

Here is the Irish site : http://www.vikingdirect.ie/catalog/catalogSku.do?id=QD2-3265680&cm_cat=2000000361

Here is the UK site : http://www.viking-direct.co.uk/a/pb/Prague-Executive-Office-Chair-Leather-Faced-in-Black/pr=Q22&id=3265680/

Including VAT its €201 in Ireland, and with the current conversion rate its €106 in the UK including VAT. Im not sure of delivery costs to Ireland, youd need to contact them, but if you have an address to send it to in Northern Ireland, then delivery is free! Thats almost half the price for the same chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

looks great!
    bear in mind that running 3 u2711's is going to kick the living **** out of any graphics card(s) on the market at the moment.
    if you want acceptable fps you're probably looking at 3xHD7970s minimum. it would look amazing though. i wouldn't bother with another 580, wait till the 7990 or 600 series nvidia shows up.

also, sort out your cable management! :P

your psu is also in upside down.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    looks great!
    bear in mind that running 3 u2711's is going to kick the living **** out of any graphics card(s) on the market at the moment.
    if you want acceptable fps you're probably looking at 3xHD7970s minimum. it would look amazing though. i wouldn't bother with another 580, wait till the 7990 or 600 series nvidia shows up.

I did sort out the cables! There are a couple I cant do anything about, but anything that was long enough was tucked behind. There are a couple of thin coloured wirse which could do with a little tidy up, I bought a big tub of zipties from Tesco a while ago, I should put them to use!

I never thought about the PSU being upside down. Your observation makes sense, as its blowing hot air into the case. If it was located at the top of the case, it would blow out the top vents. If I was to turn it upside down, then the hot air would be blown straight into a solid floor, with nowhere to go. Wouldnt that cause it to overheat?

STRIKE THAT!!! Fantastic Teabag, I just looked under the case, which is off the ground slightly on feet, there is a filtered vent right there for the PSU to expel air. All this time the PSU and the GPU have been blasting hot air at each other. What a noob. :eek:

EDIT : Thats it turned the correct way aropund. It also means I dont have to have that cable going across the mobo as its long enough to be routed behind the mobo. The other good thing, is that when I turned it upside down, the label on the other side was printed the other way around so that it would be showing the right way up. Good news all round then and hopefully my temps will be a fraction down. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

You're thinking backwards. The fan on a PSU pulls air in (not out), and pushes it out (not in) the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

looks great!

The psu is not upside down, its just a personal preference. I have done serveral tests on this and both ways even with 3 graphics cards in a machine it didt make a difference to temperatures because powersupplies generally run alot cooler and they can take the little bit of extra heat being sucked in.
    The preference is if you want the fan showing in your computer or if you want tidy cables. With modular power supplies it makes sense to have the fan up like that as cables will be tidy in any way.
    If you try say your psu is upside down to alot of reviewers their will be an onslaught of insults headed your way. (Tinytomlogan, my favourite british youtube reviewer is well known for this).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

well yea, obviously it can be mounted in both ways, but why would you? to see a fan vs complete isolation from the rest of the system, its obvious which is better.

well yea, obviously it can be mounted in both ways, but why would you? to see a fan vs complete isolation from the rest of the system, its obvious which is better.

In fairness the only reason for having it one way over the other is aesthetics it give no temperature benefit and it saves having to clean one less dust filter if you use them.
    Btw I use my powersupplys with fans facing down when ever possible but only because it makes tidying cables much easier.
    You can see my little devil case is desiged that you can only mount it fan upwards and has vents to connect the compartments there so would suck in the air from the gpu's.

• Advertisement

deceit wrote: »
    In fairness the only reason for having it one way over the other is aesthetics it give no temperature benefit and it saves having to clean one less dust filter if you use them.
    Btw I use my powersupplys with fans facing down when ever possible but only because it makes tidying cables much easier.
    You can see my little devil case is desiged that you can only mount it fan upwards and has vents to connect the compartments there so would suck in the air from the gpu's.

It makes a big difference. With my original rig, because of my case, I had to have the PSU facing up. This meant that it was pulling air away from the GPU intakes. When I finally cut a hole in the bottom of the case, and switched my PSU around, my GPU temps dropped about 10°C.

Serephucus wrote: »
    It makes a big difference. With my original rig, because of my case, I had to have the PSU facing up. This meant that it was pulling air away from the GPU intakes. When I finally cut a hole in the bottom of the case, and switched my PSU around, my GPU temps dropped about 10°C.

Was your gpu less than 15mm from the psu?
    If not I cant see how your psu would have a strong enough fan to affect this that much.
    Just as a test I have a spare power supply I placed into my little devil case under my hd6870 right above my other psu.
    Its not doing anything other than pulling air (connected another pc to it to have load on it) with a 20cm gap between gpu and psu
    There was only a 1deg increase in temps but that could also be to do with the heating in my house coming on recently.
    Its possible though it doesnt affect me with me using a non reference twin cooler on my gpus.
    There is always a chance would affect reference coolers more if you have poor airflow in your case if its right on top of the psu.
    (OP is runnin triple cooler so should have an even smaller affect on it than mine).

So many different viewpoints on this. Ive read a few overclocker forum posts and debate continues.

With my fan sucking cold air in, that will keep temp of PSU down and will extend its life. However, it means I dont get to see the nice looking fan with its choice of 3 colours. I was also wondering if having the fan sucking air from inside the case, wouldve helped with the GPU temps, as it has 3 fans blowing hot air right into the intake of the PSU. This obviously exhausts the hot GPU air right out the back of the PSU. The big potential problem with that is how to guage how much this affects the lifespan of my PSU, as I have no doubt its going to be sucking in very hot air from the GPU as they are fairly close together.

I value a longer lifespan over aesthetics.

Just as a test I have a spare power supply I placed into my little devil case under my hd6870 right above my other psu.
    Its not doing anything other than pulling air (connected another pc to it to have load on it) with a 20cm gap between gpu and psu
    There was only a 1deg increase in temps but that could also be to do with the heating in my house coming on recently.
    Its possible though it doesnt affect me with me using a non reference twin cooler on my gpus.

Ya think? I'm talking about reference coolers here. One tiny 30mm hairdryer fan vs. a 120mm fan. You have so much airflow going to your GPU already it doesn't matter as much.

Ya think? I'm talking about reference coolers here. One tiny 30mm hairdryer fan vs. a 120mm fan. You have so much airflow going to your GPU already it doesn't matter as much.

Yea its why I made reference to it as he is using 3 large fans so this wouldnt b an issue for him.
    Also I wouldnt be worried about a bit of heat being taking from the gpu through the powersupply unless you have a very underpowered psu that is forced to work hard it wouldnt make an difference in the slightest to how long they will last.

Yea its why I made reference to it as he is using 3 large fans so this wouldnt b an issue for him.
    Also I wouldnt be worried about a bit of heat being taking from the gpu through the powersupply unless you have a very underpowered psu that is forced to work hard it wouldnt make an difference in the slightest to how long they will last.

I read an article stating that the expected lifespan would double for every 10c drop in temps.

"Does temperature affect your PSU's output efficiency and life span?
    Temperate greatly affects the life span of many components in your PSU, including your capacitors, resisters and fans. Generally speaking, when temperature decreases 10°, your PSU’s life span will increase by about double. For example, if your output capacitor normally has a 3,000-hour life span at 105°, at 95° it will last 6,000 hours. However, for output efficiency, the same rule of thumb does not apply. Some PSU components achieve higher efficiency at lower temperatures, while others are the opposite."

Source : http://www.frozencpu.com/help/h32/Power_Supply_FAQ.html

All this talk about airflow has got me wondering how effective mine is. If you look at my photos, you can see I only have one fan attached to the Noctua CPU cooler because the RAM gets in the way of the other fan. The RAM has little cooling fins which stick up a bit. So I only have one fan sucking air away from the radiator, its not got the other blowing cool air through it. Do you think this would be an issue?

My case pulls cold air in with 2 X 120mm fans at the bottom front, there is a 120mm fan exhausting hot air from the top rear, and also 2 x 140mm fans sucking air out the top. You can see where my GPU is blowing its hot air, right into the case. Now I have turned my PSU the other way around, I wonder how well the GPUs hot air is being expelled from the case.

Ive made a quick diagram using Paint to show you the way it is. You can see that there is only one fan on the cpu cooler, when there really should be two.

Any advice on how I can improve things?

mycaseairflow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Maybe get some small fans from http://www.quietpc.com/ie-en-eur/products/casefans to suck the air from under the hard to go out of the fan? Of course it'd be best if you rigged it somehow that the air that came out went through a tube to above the air-input-hole of the card, to prevent the same air that is going out, coming in?

Have used quietpc.com in the past and find that they charge little for shipping.

Your GPU fans don't blow air away from the GPU, they blow it onto the heatsink. The air then gets pushed out the sides. Turning your PSU around would actually only hinder GPU cooling. Best you could get for that would be a side exhaust fan.

Your GPU fans don't blow air away from the GPU, they blow it onto the heatsink. The air then gets pushed out the sides. Turning your PSU around would actually only hinder GPU cooling. Best you could get for that would be a side exhaust fan.

Right. It all becomes a little clearer. That means before, when I had the PSU sucking in air from inside the case, it wouldve been competing with the three fans on the GPU. SO this way the GPU should have an easier task of sucking in the cold air it requires.

Ive been sitting thinking to myself "Why isnt there some kind of plastic ducting that sends the hot air out the case instead of recirculating it". The whole time the air has been sucked into the video card.......

I wish I hadnt started this conversation, Im looking quite the clown now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'll change the subject so!

How are your Logitech z-10 speakers? what did u have previously? and who's Lian Li?

/successfully changed :pac:

Advertisement