Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeze on cuts after Croke Park accord

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

fliball123 wrote: »
    ahh I know that there will be cuts to services ..the PS are untouchable at present with the terms and conditions and I reckon the loophole with tax will be the USC being raised..As for Dole?? I think there will be hopefull a cutdown in fraud...but evern if there are further measures I think that the 18billion gap will probably comedown to 15 or so?? Not sure Proof is in the pudding as they say..My guess is that all bets will be off and we will get a big tax increase...and a cut in both social welfare and ps pay and pensions..thata only an opinion before a get pitchforked

Filiball why don't you take a break from all this posting for a while... you'll give yourself a migraine.

Besides the government have decided there will be no PS cuts.... move on !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

sollar wrote: »
    Filiball why don't you take a break from all this posting for a while... you'll give yourself a migraine.

Besides the government have decided there will be no PS cuts.... move on !!

They have also said no cuts in the dole or more income tax...I dont think they can leave all 3 untouched being honest

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

fliball123 wrote: »
    They have also said no cuts in the dole or more income tax...I dont think they can leave all 3 untouched being honest

Your right they wont, but they wont do it directly. An increase in USC, property tax, carbon tax. Increase in car tax. And reducing the sw benefits package including rent allowance and fuel allowance etc.

Just because they're not cutting the basic rates of SW nor increasing the income tax rates doesn't mean they're not going to suck it in from other sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Good question perhaps our resident public servants can perform a little service to the public and point out what progress (if any) has been made under Croke Park

Here's the first progress report from where I work.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/publications/first-progress-report.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Saganist wrote: »
    Here's the first progress report from where I work.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/publications/first-progress-report.pdf

Thanks, I always found Revenue to be one of the most efficient and organised departments who try to make use of modern technologies

• Advertisement

Thanks, I always found Revenue to be one of the most efficient and organised departments who try to make use of modern technologies

Thanks. We try our best and have made massive progress over the last few years in our IT division despite the reduction in staff numbers and lower wages.

I'm not complaining though. I have a job !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Have to second that but why are you posting at 12.02 on a work day?

femur61 wrote: »

Wow. Tell me your someones boss.. ;)

haha. The nature of my job allows me to keep an eye on work and while also doing other stuff. It's called multitasking... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Saganist wrote: »
    Thanks. We try our best and have made massive progress over the last few years in our IT division despite the reduction in staff numbers and lower wages.

I'm not complaining though. I have a job !
    Why cant other public service areas be benchmarked against the apparently high performing revenue? Compare county councils to best performing county councils, one hospital to another, Irish public service performace to international best practise in worlds best public services. At least if we could measure how good our public services were performing we would know where exactly to cut and who to reward most. Of course the unions would be totally against it and claim "one for all and all for one" and protect the dossers , underperformers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Why cant other public service areas be benchmarked against the apparently high performing revenue? Compare county councils to best performing county councils, one hospital to another

Exactly. I expect that if you compared councils you would find that a particular part of council A was notably more efficient than council B, and all of this achieved within the same industrial relations rules. The CPA is attempting to even out variations in different parts of the same sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

Because they had something to contribute maybe :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Were you on a day off yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

mother 4 kids

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭paul71

I have to agree with this, I have been dealing with revenue for nearly 20 years and they are always proactive in improving their services. I would love to see the Motor Tax Offices transfered to their control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

paul71 wrote: »
    I have to agree with this, I have been dealing with revenue for nearly 20 years and they are always proactive in improving their services. I would love to see the Motor Tax Offices transfered to their control.

While I don't think they are bad.. I don't get why people try to hold revenue up as an example of excellent service...

They offer a decent service, and the staff I have dealt with have always been professional and helpful..

However (you knew this was coming :))

In order to process my yearly tax they require have 1 system for tax credits (PAYE Anytime) and a completely seperate system for filing the return (ROS).. That seems like a complete waste of money..

More importantly (in terms of our desperate need for revenue), despite my company updating revenue anually on all stock issued to staff.. Not one member of staff who doesnt file a RTS01 (or year end tax report) has ever been contacted for the tax owed.. Granted the rules changed this year for collection at source, but how much tax did Revenue get notified about over the years that they did nothing about?

Personally, I cleared up a tax situation about 8 months ago relating to 3-4 years of gains from shares.. Revenue could only work from the numbers I provided, and had no record or idea if my claim was correct.... despite the amounts having already been previously declared by my company..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Revenue have always been top notch. Nothing but good to say about their efficiency.

It's just a pity the departments of government that spend the money they collect so efficiently aren't themselves paragons of virtue.

Advertisement