Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Bike Advice

• 25-07-2011 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a new bike under the BTW scheme.. I'd be getting 51% rebate so its definitely worth spending that bit extra..

Its about 15 year since I owned a bike.. I'm looking to pick it up again.. I'm completely ignorant of most things bikes at this stage..

I'm not interested in an out and out mountain bike I don't think but a good quality bike that will be good on the road and on bike trails..

I've had a brief look in Halfords and liked the look of some of their bikes but I'd prefer to do a deal with an Indy Irish bike retailer.. Halfords get enough business..

Can anyone point me in the direction of some quality bikes? Maybe the attributes I should look for? I'd be willing to go to around a €1000 to get something that will give me what I want and last a long time for me..

Also, would anyone know/recommend dealers in South Dublin who like a bit of the haggle?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

If you are hoping to hit the trails with yor bike you'll need a proper hardtail mountain bike at least. This won't be very good on the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lemag wrote: »
    If you are hoping to hit the trails with yor bike you'll need a proper hardtail mountain bike at least. This won't be very good on the roads.

I'm sort of thinking of these types of trails..

http://www.mayotrails.ie/cycling_trails.html

Surely, this would not be hugely different to road requirements.. I'm not interested in a pure road bike. (racer type bike)

surely there are some hybrid types bikes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Buy a hardtail MTB with front lockout, like this:

http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2054

Then if you decide you want to do longer distances on road, buy a road bike. You'll then have two bikes perfectly suited to their respective environments.

Or do it the other way round, and buy a proper road bike with clearance for 28mm tyres, and when you want to do proper off-road buy a MTB.

Or just ignore the advice and buy a hybrid.

That's a nice looking bike!

I take it there is little regard for hybrids in the biking community then..

lawred2 wrote: »

I wouldn't necessarily say that. Lots of people own them and like them. They're easy to sell to people who are put off my the complexity of a mountain bike and the drop bars of a road bike, and they tend to be cheaper than either of those.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessarily say that. Lots of people own them and like them. They're easy to sell to people who are put off my the complexity of a mountain bike and the drop bars of a road bike, and they tend to be cheaper than either of those.

that sounds like me.. :)

That's a nice looking bike!

It is a nice looking bike. I have it;) They can only be bought direct from Canyon however so you won't find them in any bike shops.

The thing with hybrids is that they are only really suitable for road use and for this a road bike would be a much better option. From the few pictures which I've seen from the link which you've provided a road bike with (as Lumen advised) larger tyres would do the job. If you were to venture off-road both the hybrid and road bike would be equally useless.

Lemag wrote: »
    It is a nice looking bike. I have it;) They can only be bought direct from Canyon however so you won't find them in any bike shops.

The thing with hybrids is that they are only really suitable for road use and for this a road bike would be a much better option. From the few pictures which I've seen from the link which you've provided a road bike with (as Lumen advised) larger tyres would do the job. If you were to venture off-road both the hybrid and road bike would be equally useless.

Maybe I should be looking at a MTB then.. Can you put road tyres on a mountain bike or is that simply stupid?

Aaarrghhh I'm all confused

Maybe I should be looking at a MTB then.. Can you put road tyres on a mountain bike or is that simply stupid?

You could get MTB slicks. They would be pretty crappy on a muddy trail though.

You can put 26" slick tyres on a 26" MTB, and wide 700c road tyres on a 29er MTB (depending on rim width).

Either approach will produce a less annoying result on the road, and you'll only lose the ability to do muddy off-road, but it still won't be anywhere near as fun on road as a road bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

What makes a MTB bad for roads is the weight, suspension fork & knobbly tyres that will sap your energy.

However, if you have lockout on the fork, a lightweight MTB, and replace the tyres with slicks, it will certainly be easier.

It will still be slow on the tarmac compared to a road or hybrid bike though.

If you want to do any sort of off-road, get a MTB though. I got one a few years ago, had some fun on some trails and it still does me fine when I get out there.

However, when buying on the BTW I bought a road bike. I had racers as a kid, so was never wary of the drops like some are.

You'll just need to decide what type of riding you want to do, that will determine the bike you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭32yg

I was going to use the BTW scheme but then i found this site : http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/.
    2 day delivery and very cheap but good quality bikes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

A touring bike is a good option if you need a jack-of-all trades bikes. However a touring bike still suffers from the compormises of a hybrid, it's just faster on the road and more comfortable for long distances.

Ideally you should decide on what kind of riding you're going to do and pick the bike that does it best. To me it sounds like you need a road bike, just put 28mm tyres on it.

Having said that there's nothing wrong with a hybrid bike. They don't break-down any more than other bikes and tend to be fairly good value for money, they just don't offer much scope for development so if you get hooked on cycling you're going to have to upgrade sooner or later.

Advertisement