Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe Bar Deli

Options
  • 25-07-2011 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

New summer menu in place with very good prices. Pizzas and pasta dishes for €5-8 now.

These new prices are what we should be paying all along!

Fair play to CBD for taking the lead; hopefully more will follow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pooper

Was there over the weekend and its gorgeous food for almost free!! yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Stange.
    I was there about a month ago and the food was absolutely awful, the place was dirty and as for the bathrooms... They needed a good power hosing.

I was really disappointed, it used to be such a lovely spot, but when I was last there the menu had completely changed and as had all the staff, it looked shabby and dirty.

Interested if someone else has taken it over (again).

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DrBass

Léan wrote: »
    Stange.
    I was there about a month ago and the food was absolutely awful, the place was dirty and as for the bathrooms... They needed a good power hosing.

I was really disappointed, it used to be such a lovely spot, but when I was last there the menu had completely changed and as had all the staff, it looked shabby and dirty.

Interested if someone else has taken it over (again).

Agree totally, used to really like the place, always a nice vibe and good food in there, its gone very very downhill, seems like new management alright, ripped seats, dirty smell, the menu has been narrowed down to suit the one chef and two girls working there. shame

Needs a total referb, and a new more ambitious menu, and some proper staff

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

For the new prices, I'm happy to eat there. I got the large of a pasta dish on Saturday for €8, and the small portion was €6. I cannot complain about that at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭CaptainPendulum

Went there today and was very impressed. Thought the portions might have been reduced but they weren't. Not well advertised at all though...even the sign on the window doesn't stand out. The cafe 41 place across from them was wedged and CBD was quiet....they should hand out flyers further up the street and change the sign. Hope it keeps going though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The cafe 41 place across from them was wedged and CBD was quiet

That I don't understand. Anytime I've eaten in 14A it's been bland at best, and manky at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Unless they do something to dramatically improve the quality of their food I still won't go near the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Unless they do something to dramatically improve the quality of their food I still won't go near the place.

Our pizza and pasta was spot on. No complaints. I've always found it very good quality as Italian restaurants go.

What exactly do you not like about it as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 vector3

Cafe Bar Deli is atrocious. We were in there a while back (last December I think), about 7 of us. Big bill, as we had starter, main, desert, coffee and a bottle or two of wine. Bill placed on the table, we split it 7 ways and had all the money in the pot. Got our coats on and were walking out the door when the waitress came over and said, sorry, we forgot to add the service charge... I told her to get real, half of us were already on the street walking away. We just left, but I thought it was bad form. Their tough for not putting it on the bill. Food was average at best, place was dirty, and cold, and of late the service has been awful.

Their prices are lower just to get people in the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

vector3 wrote: »
    Their prices are lower just to get people in the door.

Is there any other reason why you would reduce prices in a restaurant?!?!
    vector3 wrote: »
    Their tough for not putting it on the bill.

If you were happy with the meal would have said the same?

If you owe a restaurant money then you should pay them. You didn't seem to make a complaint about the food while you were there (I mean by speaking to the waitress or the manager) so in effect you just couldn't be arsed paying part of your bill. That says more about you than it does about them.

If the food is bad make a complaint, otherwise it's just robbing them.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Dermighty wrote: »
    If you owe a restaurant money then you should pay them. You didn't seem to make a complaint about the food while you were there (I mean by speaking to the waitress or the manager) so in effect you just couldn't be arsed paying part of your bill. That says more about you than it does about them.

If the food is bad make a complaint, otherwise it's just robbing them.

I disagree here.
    It was a service charge and not part payment for their meal.
    To be honest I dont agree with a compulsory service charge to begin with and then you have places that charge bigger groups a service charge, which makes it seem like you have to pay an extra fee for bringing more people in. You would think there should be a discount if you brought over 8 people to somewhere in this climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

castie wrote: »
    I disagree here.

I wouldn't distinguish between the two when it comes to paying the bill. I have to admit that the more I think about it: if I was walking out the door of the restaurant and they mentioned it to me that they'd forgotten to charge me an extra €20 or whatever I'd probably tell them to **** off.

If I see a service charge I never leave a tip, no matter how good the food/service it. I think service charges are a load of crap.

castie wrote: »
    I disagree here.
    To be honest I dont agree with a compulsory service charge to begin with and then you have places that charge bigger groups a service charge, which makes it seem like you have to pay an extra fee for bringing more people in. You would think there should be a discount if you brought over 8 people to somewhere in this climate.

I'm not saying I agree with service charges either, but it does say it on the menu that there is a service charge.

The idea of a service charge is not right in my opinion. However in principal if I owe money to a restaurant then I would feel obliged to pay it. I'm not a sap and I don't give money if I don't feel like I owe it because of a grievous fault (food cold, wrong orders, waiting a long time etc). I realise this is purely subjective but I'm the kind of person that gives back extra money they got if they are over compensated in a shop or wherever.

I have been to CafeBarDeli and handed food back, I once asked for no parmesan on my pasta, a big plate of pasta covered in parmesan arrived and I said no and they made me another one, for me that's a no brainer. If I eat the food and think it's a bit crap then it's my fault and the service charge is just part of the meal.

===============================================

In support of the naysayers:

I agree that CafeBarDeli has gone seriously downhill in the last two years. The quality of the ingredients is one of the major cuts they've made. Their soup used to be some of the best you could get in the city and now it's the same old crap, either pepperoni (I love black pepper but this stuff is just caustic) or some watery vegetable mix, emphasis on the watery.

The staff just don't give a **** any more. When I heard they went into receivership I mentioned it to the manager that I thought it was unfortunate because I really liked the place. Part of me wishes they had shut down. All their best staff have left also, I'd know most of them to say hello to and they are all working in other restaurants around the city.

I went there for lunch a couple of weeks ago and though the salad was the same as it always was it definitely looked like it had been ****ed onto a plate and thrown out the door, not something they are renowned for in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Is Cafe Bar Deli in Cork owned by that **** Jay Bourke ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭sporina

OMG I was there at the weekend as to say that it was bad would be an understatement. I was so embarrassed as I choose to got here. My OH really really did not enjoy his meal at all… it was dreadful. I only choose to go there as its fast and reasonable. I have had issues with this place before but on this occasion, I experienced all these issues in the same sitting.

The food was bad, the staff were unfriendly, the tables were too close together, the music was too loud. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Fabio

Was in here last night. It was very very busy and the tables are always a bit close but I normally like the food. They seemd to have jacked the prices up by a euro or two here and there though which is not a good way of keeping the place busy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Fabio wrote: »
    Was in here last night. It was very very busy and the tables are always a bit close but I normally like the food. They seemd to have jacked the prices up by a euro or two here and there though which is not a good way of keeping the place busy at all.

Seems to be working though doesn't it.

Advertisement