Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13 week contract change?

Options
  • 25-07-2011 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭

I have worked in retail for years and a new thing came up the other day where a member of staff said that there is a law that if they have a contract of let's say 20 hours but they have worked the previous 13 weeks at 30 hours that legally the 30 hours is their new contract. Is there any truth to this? I couldn't find anything about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

I have heard there is a 'practice and precedent' system whereby if work practices continue for a certain period of time they can be taken as standard, but I had thought this had to be over a prolonged period (2 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Practise and precedent would work but only if it is widely known and accepted across your entire industry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Is there anywhere to get this in writing? like an official source?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Try mandate, thats where i heard about it

Advertisement