Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia and New Zealand College Dates

Options
  • 25-07-2011 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum but I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what the Australian and New Zealand college dates are? When do they begin/finish each year? Is the education system similar to Ireland (eg. requirements to get to college etc.)? Any help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

gemma188 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right forum but I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what the Australian and New Zealand college dates are? When do they begin/finish each year? Is the education system similar to Ireland (eg. requirements to get to college etc.)? Any help is much appreciated!

Spring Uni semester begins next Monday till end of Oct/start Nov
    Autumn starts March 1st till June 15th and thats it.......

Sorry don't know about New Zealand??

To get into Uni in Australia you need to apply to UAC http://www.uac.edu.au/ which is kind of similar to CAO in Ireland.

There are certain requirements for year 12 students (leaving cert students) entering Uni which are based on your performance in your final high school exams.

Mature students coming from Ireland (which I am) have to submit their leaving cert results, previous study undertaken, full employment history, references etc.. You may be asked to attend an interview, it is quite hard to get into Uni as a non-citizen but not impossible.

Bear in mind that it is expensive, as a non-citizen or non-permanent resident it can cost up to $50,000. A permanent resident can get subsidised and only have to pay about $21,000 (which I have to and which is still bloody expensive), you have to pay by semester which works out at about just over $2,600 per semester. If you are a citizen then you can apply to get hecs-help which is a system that pays for your study but you have to pay it back when you graduate through your salary and tax.

The University system in NSW is great and while expensive, is definitely worth it in my opinion.

Let me know if you need any more questions answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭gemma188

Sorry just a bit unclear, by Autumn Uni is that basically Semester 1 and Spring Semester 2 or is it the other way round?

Out of a matter of interest also, when does the school year start and finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=when+does+australia+school+starts

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Sorry just a bit unclear, by Autumn Uni is that basically Semester 1 and Spring Semester 2 or is it the other way round?

Sorry wasn't clear, Term 1 or Semester 1 is Autumn (march to june) and Term 2 or Semester 2 is Spring (august to october).

Looks like I'll be moving to New Zealand in the near future. Been doing a lot of googling but can't find the info I want regarding college education. Does anyone know what the equivalent of the CAO website is in NZ. Also for someone who would be attending High School over there, what process do they have to go through when applying to colleges?

• Advertisement

Looks like I'll be moving to New Zealand in the near future. Been doing a lot of googling but can't find the info I want regarding college education. Does anyone know what the equivalent of the CAO website is in NZ. Also for someone who would be attending High School over there, what process do they have to go through when applying to colleges?

Anyone know???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

My understanding of NZ is that you apply directly to the university for the course(s) you are interested in but i am open to correction. Each univeristy website has information on admissions.

Advertisement