Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom pop mail server slow?

Options
  • 25-07-2011 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Anyone else having issues with using eircom email in outlook or live mail?

Have had issue's receiving mail over the past few days, I keep getting server has timed out messages & have had to increase the timeout limit to 5 minutes to receive any mail (5 minutes to recieve 4KB of mail has to be some sort of record)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

demixed wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues with using eircom email in outlook or live mail?

Have had issue's receiving mail over the past few days, I keep getting server has timed out messages & have had to increase the timeout limit to 5 minutes to receive any mail (5 minutes to recieve 4KB of mail has to be some sort of record)

Hi demixed,

apologies for the delay. I've checked with Tech Support and they've had no reports of any e-mail client problems connecting to the mailservers.
    May be you can ensure it's working first with eircom Webmail.

If you're unable to receive any email through your client alone, or is this happening with Webmail ?

Let me know if I can suggest or help further -

Configure 3rd party Email Clients - LINK

All the best,
    Ant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Seandp

Yes I have had the same problem for the last 6 months or so, I have 2 accounts in Windows live mail, both the exact same settings just different user name/ passwords one is very slow at going past the 'authorizing' stage, 2mins or so, the other loads just fine, can't find a reason.
    Same on another pc, both Win7.
    Using the 'get mail' in the webmail loads mail instantly.

Sticks like this for 2mins on one account.
    176673.jpg

176672.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Seandp wrote: »
    Yes I have had the same problem for the last 6 months or so, I have 2 accounts in Windows live mail, both the exact same settings just different user name/ passwords one is very slow at going past the 'authorizing' stage, 2mins or so, the other loads just fine, can't find a reason.
    Same on another pc, both Win7.
    Using the 'get mail' in the webmail loads mail instantly.

Sticks like this for 2mins on one account.
    176673.jpg

176672.jpg

Hi Seandp
    if you have checked that both settings are the same and that you have no problem connecting on one of the accounts I am afraid that you would have to call our tech support team on 1890260260 and have them troubleshoot this with you, they may be able to advise you on this.
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eldorado79

Yes, I have been experiencing the same issue for the last few months and so has my husband on the laptop. I have contacted eircom twice, but was only told that the issue is not with eircom. The first time I was told it was my PC (which is unlikely given the fact that my husband has a new laptop and the same problem), the second time it was my Anti-Virus programme (but after disabling it, I still had the same difficulty). Frankly, I am really annoyed at this stage and as I use the email address as my business address, it would be difficult for me to change it. I would be grateful for any advise!!!

eldorado79 wrote: »
    Yes, I have been experiencing the same issue for the last few months and so has my husband on the laptop. I have contacted eircom twice, but was only told that the issue is not with eircom. The first time I was told it was my PC (which is unlikely given the fact that my husband has a new laptop and the same problem), the second time it was my Anti-Virus programme (but after disabling it, I still had the same difficulty). Frankly, I am really annoyed at this stage and as I use the email address as my business address, it would be difficult for me to change it. I would be grateful for any advise!!!

Hi eldorado79,

Thanks for your post. I'm not sure I can offer more advice than Technical Support.
    Though, on a personal level I also use a third party anti-virus application and find it extremely difficult to actually exit the programme, without it still running in the background.

In the above example, the incoming server is shown as : mail1.eircom.net This should infact be : webmail.eircom.net

I would also suggest testing your email account on a different email client. For example, try something like Bat and download and test your email with this email client. See if you're getting the same results as you do with the Microsoft's email client : LINK

eircom's basic email settings :

Incoming Mail Server:
    webmail.eircom.net

Outgoing Mail Server:
    mail1.eircom.net

Mail Server Type:
    POP3

Again, Technical Support are the primary source for help on any eircom email problem. If the suggestions above don't work then please contact them for additional help.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Cheers,
    Ant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭davearthurs

Was Incoming Mail Server changed recently from mail1.eircom.net to webmail.eircom.net? I'm also finding problem with timeout on eircom pop email via mail on mac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 moynihank

My mother is having the same problems, not receiving e-mail since Dec 4th. I've had a look at it today and all appears to be in order. She uses Windows Live Mail. I changed the incoming mail server to webmail.eircom.net from mail1.eircom.net but still no joy.
    It can't be the computer as I've also logged on to www.eircom.net and deleted all e-mails from the inbox and sent them all to trash and emptied the trash. When I click "check mail" I get zero e-mails.
    I have sent e-mails to her already today so I know there are e-mails to come.
    Any advice?

moynihank wrote: »
    My mother is having the same problems, not receiving e-mail since Dec 4th. I've had a look at it today and all appears to be in order. She uses Windows Live Mail. I changed the incoming mail server to webmail.eircom.net from mail1.eircom.net but still no joy.
    It can't be the computer as I've also logged on to www.eircom.net and deleted all e-mails from the inbox and sent them all to trash and emptied the trash. When I click "check mail" I get zero e-mails.
    I have sent e-mails to her already today so I know there are e-mails to come.
    Any advice?

Hi moynihank,

Thanks for you post.

I'm not sure if you're still having a problem with your email as you indicate in your post: "I've had a look at it today and all appears to be in order."

If you need eircom email settings or the configuration setup for a general, email Client, the following will be helpful:

E-mail settings:
    Mail server type: POP3
    Incoming mail server: webmail.eircom.net
    Outgoing mail server*: mail1.eircom.net

OR Webmail access: http://webmail.eircom.net

*Note: If you are NOT using an eircom net connection, you MUST use your internet provider's own SMTP server OR eircom webmail.

Need to Change or Reset Your Password?

How to configure your email Client

If you need additional technical assistance with an eircom related issue, please contact Technical Support :

Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will help if you need to follow this up.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Thanks for that. I did get it sorted on Saturday but still don't know what the problem was.

Thanks for that. I did get it sorted on Saturday but still don't know what the problem was.

Hi moynihank,

Glad to hear you got it sorted. I've checked with Technical Support and they don't report any recent problems with the mailservers.

Please monitor your email and let me know, or call Technical Support, if this happens again.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 Days).

All the best,
    Ant

• Advertisement

Sorry for being a pest "eircom: Ant" but any chance you could check my moynihank@eircom.net account. I have been on a blocked IP list by Spamhaus on and off for the past few months which is a real pain and currently I'm getting this message and haven't a clue what to do:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Subject
    Sent: 13/01/2012 18:13

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

[EMAIL="'**********@gmail.com'"]'**********@gmail.com'[/EMAIL] on 13/01/2012 18:13
    550 5.1.1 Relaying denied to domain gmail.com

Any help would be great, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

I have been on a blocked IP list by Spamhaus on and off for the past few months which is a real pain and currently I'm getting this message and haven't a clue what to do:

Subject: Subject
    Sent: 13/01/2012 18:13

[EMAIL="'**********@gmail.com'"]'**********@gmail.com'[/EMAIL] on 13/01/2012 18:13
    550 5.1.1 Relaying denied to domain gmail.com

Any help would be great, thanks.

Is your internet connection with eircom? That message sounds like the ip you are sending mail from is blacklisted by gmail.

No, my internet connection is with Meteor.

No, my internet connection is with Meteor.

Hi moynihank,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum.

If you Internet connection is with a different provider you will need to use their outgoing email server to send email.

If you're being blocked by gmail the following may be helpful :

Outgoing Meteor & Gmail

Google GMail Settings

The Google GMail service offers email client access for retrieving and sending emails through your Gmail account. However, for security reasons, GMail uses POP3 over an SSL connection, so make sure your email client supports encrypted SSL connections.
      Google Gmail Incoming Mail Server (POP3) - pop.gmail.com (SSL enabled, port 995)
      Outgoing Mail Server - use the SMTP mail server address provided by your local ISP or smtp.gmail.com (TLS enabled, port 587)
    Let me know if this helps,
    Kind regards, Ant

Hi moynihank,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum.

If you Internet connection is with a different provider you will need to use their outgoing email server to send email.

Is Meteors outgoing mailserver different to eircoms?

Hi java,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum on Boards.

As far as Meteor goes, if you are sending email you need to use the outgoing mail server of the email provider.

For example, if your email address is xxxxx@eircom.net then you use eircom's SMTP mail server : mail1.eircom.net

If you are using a gmail address : xxxxx@gmail.com then you use gmail's Outgoing Mail Server - use the SMTP mail server address provided by your local ISP or smtp.gmail.com (TLS enabled, port 587)

If you need more information about Meteor Mail, or SMTP Outgoing email server, please call 1905.

Kind regards,
    Ant
    java wrote: »
    Is Meteors outgoing mailserver different to eircoms?

That gmail one was just an example. Below is another example of one I received today.

Subject: Seatbelts
    Sent: 17/01/2012 13:29

'sales@vwspares.ie' on 17/01/2012 13:29
    550 5.1.1 Relaying denied to domain vwspares.ie

I get this message now for every e-mail I send no matter what domain send it to.

My outgoing mail server is set to mail1.eircom.net

Still confused.

Hi moynihank,

Thanks though I'm a little confused why you are posting here.
    You say your Internet provider is Meteor and you're using a third party email ( Gmail or other provider's domain) for your email address.

Also you appear to be using eircom's outgoing Smtp mailserver to do this. And your email is being blocked by third party? gmail or other domain (vwspares.ie : Blacknight_)

I've advised earlier: if you are using Meteor as your Internet provider, then you need to use your email provider's SMTP mailserver to send mail, (according to Meteor).

If this is unclear, just contact Meteor Support on 1905 and they can assist you with the correct setting.

You may also have an internal issue on your network (computer). For example a firewall(s) or anti-virus application blocking you from sending all your email.

Do you have a fixed IP address? or is your mailserver blocked for spamming or open relay?

Please also see the following Smtp Help Website : http://www.mxtoolbox.com/diagnostic.aspx

Can you clarify your email address?
    Also your Internet provider you are using to send your email through ? i.e: Is it Meteor, or is it eircom? or other provider?

If you are connected to the Internet with Meteor and using a gmail or other email address? I would advise that you contact Meteor Support on : freefone : 1905

Let me know if I'm missing anything, or if you have further information which will clarify that this is a direct eircom issue.

Kind regards,
    Ant

wrote: »
    That gmail one was just an example. Below is another example of one I received today.

Subject: Seatbelts
    Sent: 17/01/2012 13:29

'sales@vwspares.ie' on 17/01/2012 13:29
    550 5.1.1 Relaying denied to domain vwspares.ie

I get this message now for every e-mail I send no matter what domain send it to.

My outgoing mail server is set to mail1.eircom.net

Still confused.

My e-mail account is with eircom. It is moynihank@eircom.net.
    My internet connection is through Meteor.

From what I've read anywhere on the net, Meteor do not have an outgoing mail server and the recommendation is to use the mail server of your e-mail provider, in this case eircom (mail1.eircom.net).

Any time spamhaus reported an IP address as being blocked on their system, it was a different IP address. I think my IP address is not fixed. Is this possible?

These are some of the IP's that Spamhaus blocked. Don't know if they were mine or the recipients of my e-mails.

Thanks,
    Kieran.

Hi Kieran,

Thanks for clearing up your email and Internet provider.

I have tested a and confirmed that your eircom email account is working perfectly. Please view : www.eircom.net/email

If you have a problem with sending email, you should in the first place, contact your own Internet provider. Your Internet provider is responsible for delivering your email to another server.

As confirmed your eircom email is fine. The eircom smtp mailserver is working and is able to deliver email (as tested by myself).

Your emails appear blocked by a 3rd party 'Spamhaus'. The IP addresses that they appear to block are from your Internet provider.

If you wish to confirm that your eircom email is working, please go to your eircom webmail : www.eircom.net/email

If you not yet contacted your Internet provider it would be advisable to do so: From what I've read anywhere on the net, Meteor do not have an outgoing mail server"

Your Interntet provider may also be able to shed some light on why their IP Address(s) is blocked by this third party (Spamhaus) or if their is another mail delivery issue as outlined on previous posts here:

Meteor Customer Care /Support : 1905

I have quickly checked with Meteor Support and they have advised that they have no problem whatsoever with eircom's mail server : mail1.eircom.net.

All the best,
    Ant
    My e-mail account is with eircom. It is moynihank@eircom.net.
    My internet connection is through Meteor.

From what I've read anywhere on the net, Meteor do not have an outgoing mail server and the recommendation is to use the mail server of your e-mail provider, in this case eircom (mail1.eircom.net).

Any time spamhaus reported an IP address as being blocked on their system, it was a different IP address. I think my IP address is not fixed. Is this possible?

These are some of the IP's that Spamhaus blocked. Don't know if they were mine or the recipients of my e-mails.

Thanks,
    Kieran.

• Advertisement

Thanks Ant for checking this out.

I will contact Meteor.

OP, the next time you get the Spamhaus rejection message look up your ip address on their website:

http://www.spamhaus.org/lookup.lasso

I've checked all those Meteor ips and they aren't currently blacklisted, but whatever ip you pick up again may be (usually because someone has spammed). If it happens again I suggest you ring Meteor then and point them towards the evidence.

Advertisement