Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly moved in, owner in mortgage arrears

Options
  • 25-07-2011 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Apologies - I did post this in the Legal area, but being new to Ireland, I'm new to Boards.ie as well.

My husband and I moved into an apartment at the beginning of July on a 1 year lease, and today when emptying our mailbox, I've mistakenly opened a letter belonging to the owner. Its from his bank, notifying him that its a formal demand for the mortgage arrears of €13,000, and to respond within 10 days or legal action will be taken.

We're renting via an agent, so haven't met the owner. Our rent is €900 per calendar month, and judging by other properties in the complex for sale, he's in negative equity by €130,000. We've not received the PRTB letter yet, though the website does say they post letters fortnightly.

I'm worried because a) I've opened someone else's mail (accidentally, but still isn't good!) and b) are we going to come home one night and discover that our apartment has been reposessed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

LLGPLNZ wrote: »
    Apologies - I did post this in the Legal area, but being new to Ireland, I'm new to Boards.ie as well.

My husband and I moved into an apartment at the beginning of July on a 1 year lease, and today when emptying our mailbox, I've mistakenly opened a letter belonging to the owner. Its from his bank, notifying him that its a formal demand for the mortgage arrears of €13,000, and to respond within 10 days or legal action will be taken.

We're renting via an agent, so haven't met the owner. Our rent is €900 per calendar month, and judging by other properties in the complex for sale, he's in negative equity by €130,000. We've not received the PRTB letter yet, though the website does say they post letters fortnightly.

I'm worried because a) I've opened someone else's mail (accidentally, but still isn't good!) and b) are we going to come home one night and discover that our apartment has been reposessed?

I wouldn't worry about opening the mail. It landed in your postbox, what else could be expected to happen.

He sound's like he's been in arrears for some time without discussing it with his bank - which makes the chances of repossession greater rather than less. I don't know how long the process takes but it need not be a year at this stage.

I'd imagine the bank would let you stay (for at least a while) if they repossessed given the fact you're paying rent + the fact they won't be able to sell easily. But I couldn't be sure.

It's probably not kosher to ring them up and find out now that you know who they are :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I wouldn't worry about opening the mail. It landed in your postbox, what else could be expected to happen.

He sound's like he's been in arrears for some time without discussing it with his bank - which makes the chances of repossession greater rather than less. I don't know how long the process takes but it need not be a year at this stage.

I'd imagine the bank would let you stay (for at least a while) if they repossessed given the fact you're paying rent + the fact they won't be able to sell easily. But I couldn't be sure.

It's probably not kosher to ring them up and find out now that you know who they are :)

It's illegal to open someone elses mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Whats the punishment for this crime? A thousand paper cuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is illegal to intentionally open somebody else's mail. Accidentally opening mail addressed to where you are won't get you in much trouble.

OP you will be covered by standard protection as a tenant and don't really have anything to worry about.
    I would tell the letting agent you are still receiving mail for the landlord. Your own call if you mention you opened one by mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

What's illegal with potential serious consequences and whats illegal that won't ever come to anything are two different things. The latter will apply to this particular situation.

IIRC, the death penalty used to attach to misappropriating the mail. But don't worry OP, we don't do that here anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

If he's not paying his mortgage, he's probably not paying his service changes. Depending on the setup, you may services organised by the management company being withdrawn.

Advertisement