Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh artichokes in Dublin?

Options
  • 25-07-2011 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Wanted to try my hand at Jewish-Roman-style fried artichokes - do you know where you can buy _fresh_ ones?

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

To make it easy on yourself, You'd need pre-season artichokes, i.e baby ones as the artichokes that are currently available will be fully mature and, as described in most recipes, a pain in the arse to remove the choke (feathers).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

duploelabs wrote: »
    To make it easy on yourself, You'd need pre-season artichokes, i.e baby ones as the artichokes that are currently available will be fully mature and, as described in most recipes, a pain in the arse to remove the choke (feathers).

Ta for the tip - all the recipes I've seen involved fully-grown ones (and therefore a low of pain). Hopefully I can find baby ones in Dublin....

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    Ta for the tip - all the recipes I've seen involved fully-grown ones (and therefore a low of pain). Hopefully I can find baby ones in Dublin....

P.

Good luck on that, they're out of season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Fallon & Byrne had em on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 25 runcowboy

Pretty sure these guys have it: http://www.fallonandbyrne.com/

• Advertisement

Maybe the adult ones but I was referring to the baby infant types

• Registered Users Posts: 25 runcowboy

If you give them a phone call they'll be sure to know where you can get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

just had some yesterday. bought them in the asian supermarket behind the market bar at the weekend. they were delicious:p

edit to add: they were full grown ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

duploelabs wrote: »
    Good luck on that, they're out of season

I was in Ardgillen Castle in NCD earlier this month and in their walled garden the artichokes were starting to form so they appear to be very much in season. The baby is just the small fruit before it develops into the large Artichoke.

I know, i just say this as the one's in my back garden have bloomed already

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Fruit and Veg Stall "The Cabbage Patch" in Howth every Sunday have them when in season.

Advertisement