Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frank's RedHot Sauce ideas.

Options
  • 25-07-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭

So I've got a bottle of the original recipe Frank's in my fridge. I had some this morning on my fish fingers on toast. (sometimes I add an easi single).

I also add it to:
    Beans (on toast)
    Pasta sauce (tomato)
    Pizza
    An Irish breakfast.

I hardly ever buy wings, (although I should cos they are spectacular with Frank's) so was wondering if anyone else has this stuff, what do you put it on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

There are no words for how much I love Frank's. Apart from chicken wings, the three main things I make with it are Buffalo Blasts, Tortilla Casserole and Beer Chili.

Buffalo Blasts - serves 4

4 chicken breasts
    1 pack of filo pastry, thawed
    150ml Frank's
    White wine vinegar
    4 tbsps butter or margarine (you can genuinely use low-fat spread here without it affecting the taste)
    Good handful of very sharp cheddar, grated, or a mix of cheddar & parmesan
    1 egg, beaten
    Glass of beer
    Garlic granules
    Black pepper
    Oil for deep frying

1) Poach the chicken breasts in a mixture of water & beer with the garlic granules & pepper. Allow to cool slightly, then chop finely or just shred with a fork.

2) Heat up your deep fat frier or if, like me, you don't have one, heat a few inches of oil in a wok.

3) Combine the Frank's sauce & butter/spread over a low heat until smooth & silky. Add a splash of white wine vinegar, then mix the chicken into the sauce.

4) Cut the filo into rectangles. Place a small spoonful of filling on the bottom left corner of the rectangle with a sprinkle of cheese and a grind of black pepper, leaving a small border. Fold the pastry over from the right to create a triangle shape. Continue to fold over from side to side till you have a triangular package. Brush the end of the pastry with the beaten egg and seal.

5) Cook the blasts in the oil in batches until the pastry is golden brown. Drain on kitchen towels and serve with blue cheese dip or sour cream.

Chicken Tortilla Casserole - serves 4

500g turkey mince (you can get it in Aldi)
    2 flour tortillas
    350ml natural yoghurt or sour cream
    Jar of jalapenos or 2 fresh ones, chopped
    Large onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 tbs paprika
    1 tsp ground cumin
    Bunch of chopped, fresh coriander
    150ml Frank's
    200g grated cheddar

1) Fry the turkey til all the pink is gone. You need to really work it over with a fork, or you'll end up with one big clump. Add the onion, garlic, chili, paprika & cumin and cook til the onions are soft.

2) Remove from the heat and mix in the yoghurt/sour cream, Frank's & coriander. Taste and season.

3) Place a third of the chicken mix in a casserole dish, cover with one of the tortillas (tear it to fit, if you need to), then layer with another third of the mix, another tortilla, and finish with the last of the chicken. Top with the cheese and bake in an oven preheated to 190C for about half an hour, or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.

Gorgeous with a cold beer and a spinach, lime & coriander salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Buffalo blasts sound amazing Honey-ec!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

No need to quote an entire post to say 'Thanks'. Pain in the ass scrolling for m. & touch. users.

Thanks,

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

The buffalo blasts sound amazing!

How do you cook your wings? I've only done them once before and they were a disaster! Do they have to be deep fried?

litup wrote: »
    How do you cook your wings? I've only done them once before and they were a disaster! Do they have to be deep fried?

They don't have to be, but it is the quickest & easiest way of cooking them. You can bake them in the oven for about an hour at 210C, instead, though.

My method for wings, whether I'm frying or baking, is to coat them in paprika-seasoned flour first, and refrigerate for at least an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Yeah honey-ec they sound great, I can't imagine the folding over technique probably due to tiredness, can someone spell it out for me!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Buffalo Blasts - serves 4

I think I'm in love!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Not wanting to over-do on the beer.... How much is in a glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

I also put it on popcorn and scrambled eggs/omelletes

Not wanting to over-do on the beer.... How much is in a glass?

About 300ml

• Advertisement

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Yeah honey-ec they sound great, I can't imagine the folding over technique probably due to tiredness, can someone spell it out for me!?

Eh, I can't really think of another way to describe it, but this is the closest video I could find to the technique I use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWjg3zdEx3w

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i use a dash of franks original on pretty much any egg dish (scrambled, poached or fried) for flavour and it's very nice.

i also put a good glug of it in my mince that i made burgers out of for the bbq the other day and it came out very nice too.

a favourite though, is to sauté chicken thighs in franks & butter and then use them in wraps or on a salad. if you're a fan of mushrooms or onions (or both) you can throw some in towards the end of the cooking to soak up the cooking juices too for more flavour so you don't waste the leftover juice. :)

cooking the franks out for a long time like that changes the flavour quite a bit too, but definitely in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Eh, I can't really think of another way to describe it, but this is the closest video I could find to the technique I use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWjg3zdEx3w

Aha!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Buffalo Blasts

5 minutes after eating a batch of them. Goddamn! Thanks :D

Folded them a bit wrong, so most of them had a bubbly flap hanging out. Nothing spilled though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

litup wrote: »
    The buffalo blasts sound amazing!

My method is to dust them in flour. Throw the wings in a plastic bag and add a couple of spoonfuls of plain flour. Add some paprika will give them a nice red colour. Alternatively add some cayenne to add a bit of a kick.
    Deep fry them for 11-13 minutes until they are a nice golden brown.

For the sauce, add some Frank's sauce to the saucepan with a tiny dash of white vinegar, some unsalted butter and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
    If you want them hotter, add some blended chillies or cayenne pepper etc.
    Heat the mixture up until the butter melts and is blended in.

Then dry the wings on some kitchen towel, put them in the saucepan, put the lid on and give it a darn good shake.
    Serve
    Voila.... wings as good as, if not better than, what they serve in Elephant and Castle or the Harbourmaster :)

TPD wrote: »
    5 minutes after eating a batch of them. Goddamn! Thanks :D

Folded them a bit wrong, so most of them had a bubbly flap hanging out. Nothing spilled though.

Had them myself this evening. Ultimate hangover cure!

281652_10150388101777678_552147677_10584295_3354947_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Had them myself this evening. Ultimate hangover cure!

Yours look a lot more appetizing than mine...
    29oo491.png

Practice I guess :P

I did choose the most photogenic ones for the pic...

Anyway, doesn't matter what they look like, it's what they taste like that counts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

just made chicken and chirizo paella with franks hot sauce om nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Anyone know where to buy a nice blue cheese dip or a recipe to make one. Finding lots of different ones online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Slunk wrote: »
    Anyone know where to buy a nice blue cheese dip or a recipe to make one. Finding lots of different ones online
    o_o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Yes id like to know of any people recommend. There's so many to choose from id like peoples opinion

i know it doesn't sound like it will work, but *slightly* watering down some mayonnaise (literally just with a bit of water, not anything fancy) and adding extra ingredients to that works well.

anything from a crack of salt & pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice, to roasted garlic (10-20 mins under a grill, skin on, then squeezed in once it's just starting to brown), finely chopped chilli's or some finely crumbled blue cheese works wonders. i like roquefort personally, but take your pick. :)

My foolproof blue-cheese dip recipe is:

120ml buttermilk
    60ml sour cream
    115g blue cheese, crumbled
    Black pepper, to taste

Bung the whole lot into a blender and whizz til thick and creamy. Commence nomming!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Right, a little off topic, but I love Frank's. I'm also a big Tabasco fan, I'll often use both in a dish.

But...
    I think I want more! I'm not looking for Comedy Hot Sauces or anything, but anyone know any shops in Dublin that are likely to stocl some similar Cayenne Pepper based hot sauces that are a little higher up on the Scoville chart? I'm not looking for 16,000,000 Pepper Extracts, just something with more kick than Tabasco.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Finally got a bottle of this, eager to find out what it's like...

Black Oil wrote: »
    Finally got a bottle of this, eager to find out what it's like...
    you'll probably hate it, it seems to go like that whenever someone new tries it after they see the hype.

all i can say is that it's like sex, so if you don't like it, it's because you're doing it wrong. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

vibe666 wrote: »
    all i can say is that it's like sex, so if you don't like it, it's because you're doing it wrong. :D

So, you really can put that S*** on everything!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Is Frank's widely available? Dying to try it!

• Advertisement

can't speak for the whole country, but in dublin at least i've seen it in every tesco's i've been in as well as superquinn and supervalu and even a little eurospar once.

Advertisement