Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Grinds (Dublin)

Options
  • 25-07-2011 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi,

I was looking for someone to give me a hand getting started with java, i'm a complete beginner with programing but will be undertaking a course in september that requires some level of understanding of java.

The main areas I need are:

* types of variable, operators, expressions and assignment
    * arrays, particularly of numbers
    * strings (basic declaration and use, NOT concatenation, substrings etc)
    * conditionals: if, else etc
    * looping: for, while, etc., e.g, possibly looping through array elements
    * calling functions/subroutines: passing in values and reading return values

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

darraghw wrote: »
    Hi,

I was looking for someone to give me a hand getting started with java, i'm a complete beginner with programing but will be undertaking a course in september that requires some level of understanding of java.

I'm sure you've thought of this already, but this stuff is the basics which alot of online tutorials will go through, Did you look at any online ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭darraghw

Thanks for the reply, yeah i have some e-books and other material, I thought that maybe a one on one session would give me some extra help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

+1 on the online material - try www.thenewboston.com for good assistance with the material you have outlined above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

www.javaranch.com

^^ great site for beginners, covers all the topics you mention in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Here's the official tutorials.

It sound's like you're new to programming and not just Java, this dummies guide is also a good place to start as it introduces the basic concepts involved in programming. You can ask questions on here if you get stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 TabulaRasa

If I were to offer grinds I would go through this book http://www.mindview.net/Books/TIJ/ a chapter at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

You should inquire around the colleges and universities about students who give grinds. Their student union or IT department websites might even list their contact details.

Thanks for all the reply's, i'll see how i get on with all this stuff. What kind of time frame would you expect to be able to complete the tasks in the op in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

It should not take long to pick up the basics of those tasks. Each task has further levels of complexity which you can learn about later. A good grinds teacher could teach you all those tasks in a couple of hours. Look at books such as Sam's Teach Yourself Java in [24 hours ¦ 21 Days] and it won't take long. I see in the 24 hours book that these tasks all seem to be covered in hours 5 to 9. The first 4 hours seem to be an introduction to programming and Java in general..

http://workbench.cadenhead.org/book/java-6-24-hours/contents.php

Thanks again for all the reply's, all the information is a bit overwhelming so i'm going to go down the route of taking some 1 on 1 sessions just to get myself comfortable first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 0vertone

Perhaps you could explain why your having trouble with these?
    (be very specific)

Theres not a huge amount to the basics and a 1 on 1 session may be what your looking for but not what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

OP try not to be intimidated. It can be at first and perhaps this can scare some people off. But everyone on here will tell you, programming is piss easy, and fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭newholland

darraghw wrote: »
    Hi,

There should be some tutors on www.grinds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I can give you a basic view of java in Netbeans/Eclipse or JCreator using teamviewer.

Advertisement