Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icon "nightclub"

Options
  • 25-07-2011 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

What do you really think of it? personally i think its full of pretentious ****'s that are just out to ruin as many nights as they can

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

let me guess you couldnt get in????:D

i hate the place anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

Icky Thump wrote: »
    let me guess you couldnt get in????:D

i hate the place anyway

Ha i wish, no im usually dragged there by the gf and i just hate dealin with all these fake people. dont get me wrong i have met some nice ppl there too but most nights im dissapointed. just sick of the place really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Pretentious? Not something I'd associate with D'Icon.

You don't have to be pretentious to be an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭twistyj

Hey we're meeting my friends in icon tonight

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
    . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

midweek its grand, saturdays are sh1t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭source

CiaranMT wrote: »
    You don't have to be pretentious to be an idiot.

No, but it does help :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I would have thought the Icon was the least pretentious of the clubs and late bars in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I would have thought the Icon was the least pretentious of the clubs and late bars in town.

It was... Then trinity rooms closed! Now icon has become "the place to be" so its attracting a rather annoying crowd, the bouncers have turned into pricks and the prices have gone up

If I remember correctly Trinity Rooms used to be the same way before they closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Don't really go out too much these days but I always find when I do Angel Lane and Icon are much of a muchness. Both play the same pounding music and both have a similar crowd. Downstairs in the Icon can be ok some times. Both places are like cattle marts at the weekend, especially the smoking areas (both of which you may as well be indoors for because they have terrible ventilation and it can be hard to breathe in them at times (forced to go into the smoking areas when the majority of the crowd I'm with smokes). The one thing I liked about Trinity Rooms 3 or 4 years ago was the fact the smoking area was big and out in the open.

Mollys used to be good a few years back but there again it got a bit boring when they played the same music every night. When they used to open upstairs too and the place was busy it was usually a good night. They closed it for refurbishments and then decided to stop opening upstairs and it went down hill from there. Concentrating on the student crowd has also come back to bite them.

I find Costellos has the right idea offering something a little different. Just a pity its a dive. If someone opened a decent version of Costellos it could make a nice few bob and offer something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Dont like it either tbh, prefer Trinity Rooms myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Tefral

twistyj wrote: »
    Ha i wish, no im usually dragged there by the gf and i just hate dealin with all these fake people. dont get me wrong i have met some nice ppl there too but most nights im dissapointed. just sick of the place really

Your not alone Johnny... Most people I know find they think the same way but end up going there anyway... all about choices and there are very few in Limerick, theres another thread here ranting about the pubs too ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Jofspring wrote: »
    Don't really go out too much these days but I always find when I do Angel Lane and Icon are much of a muchness. Both play the same pounding music and both have a similar crowd. Downstairs in the Icon can be ok some times. Both places are like cattle marts at the weekend, especially the smoking areas (both of which you may as well be indoors for because they have terrible ventilation and it can be hard to breathe in them at times (forced to go into the smoking areas when the majority of the crowd I'm with smokes). The one thing I liked about Trinity Rooms 3 or 4 years ago was the fact the smoking area was big and out in the open. .

Have to agree with a lot of that, I usually stay in big flans beside Icon these nights. Smokin area is big , well ventilated, not freezing, music is at a level where you can actually talk with folk, getting a drink is quick and your not charged for gettin in.... I literally cannot not see one thing Icon offers to tempt me across the road tbh?

I can see how groups of women like they place seeing as they want a dance floor and **** music but if your in a mixed group or just the lads then late pubs are a much better option. May just be me but the "view" in flas is just a lot less trollopy imo, even if your not out to pull it still makes for a better evening. One thing I would say the place is missin is a cloakroom.

~(Dont work in there btw, just think its a better option)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It was... Then trinity rooms closed! Now icon has become "the place to be" so its attracting a rather annoying crowd, the bouncers have turned into pricks and the prices have gone up

If I remember correctly Trinity Rooms used to be the same way before they closed!

But Icon and Trinity Rooms have a very different crowd and a different age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

was throwing the eye at some lass last night, and she says she is off to the Icon. One has to draw the line somewhere, and I stayed where I was...

seachto7 wrote: »
    was throwing the eye at some lass last night, and she says she is off to the Icon. One has to draw the line somewhere, and I stayed where I was...

If there was a chance I was getting the leg over and all that was in my way was the Icon then id make an exception, but fair play for standing your ground!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Icons the job :cool:

although I've noticed the crowd getting more and more trinity rooms like, which to say the least is frustrating

Hopefully it will clear back out as soon as that place re opens

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

aww, someones growing up! We all get sick of the club scene eventually. especially when in a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

from what i notice they're all ****e

hightower1 wrote: »
    Have to agree with a lot of that, I usually stay in big flans beside Icon these nights. Smokin area is big , well ventilated, not freezing, music is at a level where you can actually talk with folk, getting a drink is quick and your not charged for gettin in.... I literally cannot not see one thing Icon offers to tempt me across the road tbh?

I can see how groups of women like they place seeing as they want a dance floor and **** music but if your in a mixed group or just the lads then late pubs are a much better option. May just be me but the "view" in flas is just a lot less trollopy imo, even if your not out to pull it still makes for a better evening. One thing I would say the place is missin is a cloakroom.

~(Dont work in there btw, just think its a better option)

last night I was in Flannerys they played The Rolling Stones, Rage Against The Machine and Johnny Cash. Icon played Lady Gaga, more Lady Gaga, and some Beyonce song that orange girls could dance to. late bars ftw

I was in Nancys on Sunday night. It was a sausage fest! The worst yet I have seen it...

• Advertisement

I was in Nancys on Sunday night. It was a sausage fest! The worst yet I have seen it...

Ive had more pints spilt on me in Nancys than anyother pub, everytime someone turns around they bang into you. Its always wedged.

Nancys the most overrated pub ever, its full of **** and impossible to get to the bar on Saturday nights, midweek its grand for a few but I wouldnt stay there all night. I feel like I'm being judged from 360 degrees out in the smoking area its impossible to look anywhere without making eye contact with someone who looks like they've just glanced at you and decided you have sh1te taste in everything. I usually come out of there on a busy night with half a pint spilled on me and at least one fag burn on my arm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Have always wondered if Nancys is over crowded past its legal capcity. Its a pretty small place and is absolutely jam packed at the weekend. Sometimes its not even worth going to the bar cause it's such a hassle. The same goes for Cobblestone Joes and now The Office, which used to be a great pub for a few pints away from the main crowd in town but now is as over crowded and full of clowns as the rest of the places around.

I'd put money on it that most pubs and clubs in Limerick let way more in than their legal capcity. Seems to be more about get as many in as possible to make as much as possible and who cares if its an enjoyable night.

I agree about Flannerys across from the Icon too. By around 11:30 the crowd is at a good capcity because a lot head across the road. It's busy enough to not be empty but not too busy to have to wait an age for a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Not a fan of it myself either. I go there sometimes if the gf wants to go alright, atleast that way I'm with her and don't have to try chat to some snobby nose bitches!! Not really gone on any of the clubs in town, Angel Lane is probably the best of a bad bunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

I find it amusing at the seemingly 100% bad press here about icon, while its by far the busiest club in town. Wouldn't go there out of choice, but have had some cracking nights in there over the years -shrouded by loads of below average ones... My vote would always be to go somewhere else, but i'm not going to spite myself by going home early if all my friends are going.

Nancys is its own worst enemy. The party atmosphere that exists in there with everyone dancing and going mad is often the worst thing about the place. Hence all the spilled pint stories! I'd get over the crowd, dont mind who looks at me or judges me they can look at whoever they want. Once its not horrendously busy it can be quite fun.

I find it amusing at the seemingly 100% bad press here about icon, while its by far the busiest club in town. Wouldn't go there out of choice, but have had some cracking nights in there over the years -shrouded by loads of below average ones... My vote would always be to go somewhere else, but i'm not going to spite myself by going home early if all my friends are going.

Nancys is its own worst enemy. The party atmosphere that exists in there with everyone dancing and going mad is often the worst thing about the place. Hence all the spilled pint stories! I'd get over the crowd, dont mind who looks at me or judges me they can look at whoever they want. Once its not horrendously busy it can be quite fun.

Id agree, Ive had some great nights in the Icon, I suppose it boils down to who your with in the end , but it can be very below average overall.

A small bunch of us were in Nancys early one Saturday and we got the snug, That was a great night, because you cant really stand up in there as it blocks everyone getting a pint so if you have the few seats its like you have the place all to yourself, (well at least until you get up to drain the spuds)

Going off topic, but I think they just pack too many into Nancys. Apart from that, it's not too bad. For a while there anytime I went into Nancys, I felt like I was a stranger interrupting a family party. It was very cliquey, maybe still is, but doesn't bother me as such. I just couldn't get over the number of men in there on Sunday night. Grand if you are a female!
    Icon/Smyths, haven't been in the Icon in about 10 years, and have no desire to go in there. I was in Smyths recently, and it's not my thing. Indoor bushdrinking.

Going off topic, but I think they just pack too many into Nancys. Apart from that, it's not too bad. For a while there anytime I went into Nancys, I felt like I was a stranger interrupting a family party. It was very cliquey, maybe still is, but doesn't bother me as such. I just couldn't get over the number of men in there on Sunday night. Grand if you are a female!
    Icon/Smyths, haven't been in the Icon in about 10 years, and have no desire to go in there. I was in Smyths recently, and it's not my thing. Indoor bushdrinking.

Smyths have good bands in there, J90 go there sometimes, Big Generator and free beer are all good.

Cronin_J . I'm sure those bands are great. From what I have seen, they are solid, but those types of bands aren't my thing at all. 99% of the crowd in Smyths kind of want to just be hit with the "hits" done well. It doesn't matter if it was a trained monkey up there, they'd still be roaring and screaming....
    I'd rather go to an original gig to be honest.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

was in smyths and icon tonight. my god the band (2 guys with a gimpy attitude) were the WORST i have ever seen or heard in this city. Can't remember their name now, but I'm going to find out and make it my business to avoid them forever more! Butchered every song they tried, had to be talked back to the table and told it was a bad idea to convey my opinions to the guitarist!!

Mid week Icon bouncers want to fill the place and as long as you're the right age (what's with the yoyo age limit? Everytime i go there its different) and not a complete D*** to them you'll be ok. At the weekend they're just gimps.....

Personally its the bouncers who annoy me in Icon. Place could have a little more AC, but largely just the shower that work the door and CONSTANTLY watch you inside. Costellos is a dive, but the troublemakers are stopped at the door and then its largely cool inside. Had one of the barmen tell me to settle down one night, but that was totally deserved!

I feel you can be a d*** at the door, fair enough it is your job after all, but inside, well I'm not 5 so PFO and let me do my thing and not mess with other ppl...

Advertisement