Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nine Subjects

• 25-07-2011 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I am highly considering studying nine subjects for my Leaving Cert.

English- Honours
    Irish- Honours
    Maths- Honours
    German- Honours
    Biology- Honours
    History- Honours
    Geography- Honours
    Accounting- Honours
    Economics or (Business)- Honours

Anyone who has done this, would you be able to offer any advice please? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Seems rather pointless and will only hinder you in the points race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

English- Honours
    Irish- Honours
    Maths- Honours
    German- Honours
    Biology- Honours
    History- Honours
    Geography- Honours
    Accounting- Honours

Anyone who has done this, would you be able to offer any advice please? Thank you.

I highly doubt you'd be able to do well in 9 honours subjects. Most people who do 8, or 9, subjects do so to make up for ordinary subjects that they do.

History is a very heavy course so I would maybe knock that, and drop to ordinary level in a subject, and do 7 honours, 1 ordinary.

What are your motives for 9 honours subjects? The Leaving Cert is a completely different ball game to the Junior Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I know of only one person who did 9 honours and he got ~540 I think. It's really rather pointless imo. Only your top 6 honours subjects will be counted for points in your results, and the other 3 are worth bubkiss (unless you need them for matriculation requirements). 600 points from someone who get 6 HL A1s with 7 subjects is the exact same as 600 points from someone who got 6 HL A1s with 9 subjects.

Leaving Cert is not like Junior Cert, and 9 HL subjects is just too time-consuming to be worth it unless you have good prior knowledge of what you're doing (for example, if you play a grade 8 musical instrument, Music would probably be a good extra subject to do).

I'd consider 8 HL subjects at a maximum. It really depends on what kinda points you want. To get 9 A1s, it's gonna require a huge load of work when 6/7 A1s (except with maths, since the 25 extra points thing) will do the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

just do 7 it makes way more sense, why waste time on 2 extra subjects when they are going to matter anything, my cousin was 10 points short of the course she wanted because she did 8 honours subjects, if she did 7 she would've got the course she wanted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

My advise would be simply one word... Don't!

History, Geography, Business and Biology are all very heavy subjects with a lot of learning off. At the end of the day you would only be creating a negative impact on your results by studying so much.

8 is more than enough. Even 7!

I did 8 but that was because I was doing pass Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

English- Honours
    Irish- Honours
    Maths- Honours
    German- Honours
    Biology- Honours
    History- Honours
    Geography- Honours
    Accounting- Honours

I did 9 subjects for the Leaving Cert... and it paid off wonderfully for me. Now I'm doing Dentistry in TCD, so hopefully thats some good news for ya if you do go through with it.... but the reason I did 9 was because I was doing ordinary Math and French, so I did 7 higher.

But as other people have said here, I think you could be underestimating how hard it is to get an A1 in a higher level subject. Personally, I think you'd be mad to do 9 higher subjects, i'd advise 7 at the most, as presumably you'd be doin this to get near the 600 points...? If you do 9 you'll just be swamped and do worse...

Just think how much stress you'd be under in June if you do 9 higher subjects.... thats a lot of work...

Good luck though whatever you chose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

English- Honours
    Irish- Honours
    Maths- Honours
    German- Honours
    Biology- Honours
    History- Honours
    Geography- Honours
    Accounting- Honours

I actually just can't comprehend why someone would do 9 Honours subjects! :O, I think it's crazy! I do 8 subjects myself and LCVP

- Irish (OL)
    - English
    - Maths (OL)
    - French
    - Music
    - Business
    - Geography
    - Economics
    - LCVP

I have 6 HL subjects which I fill all my study time with! OL Maths is very easy for me as I did HL for the Junior Cert, and am lucky to have a fantastic teacher! I have completely dismissed Irish as I despise it with a passion, however I still managed a B2 in my Summer Test.

My Advice
    If (like myself) you are looking for High points, dismiss the idea of doing 9 HL Subjects. Do 7 and make sure the ones you choose include a language and a science (just to keep your options open). Then you have your English, Irish and Maths. For your other 2 subjects choose Economics and Geography. Economics is a short, nice course and it is a lovely subject for someone that has interest and works consistently. Geography is not quite so long, however topics can be given a lot more attention than others as they appear nearly every year, and also the Investigation is a handy 17/18% out of 20 if you make any effort at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IloveConverse

Thanks for all of the replies, they have given me a much clearer view of the subjects that I should choose. I may drop to ordinary Irish and considering the situation then, drop Geography.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I wish I had done more LC subjects (I did 8 HL), particularly Physics and Economics, but also Japanese. If there are subjects you want to study, OP, then study them. You can always drop some if the workload is too high. I have a friend who did 9 at HL and got 575, and he is by no means a hard worker (failed first year of college, did almost no work).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Drop History, loved the course, hated the exam. It's a huge amount of information to learn and you only have 2 hours 50 minutes to do essentially 4 essays (the document WILL take you about 2 pages+)

Keep Geography, if you want to do any Science related course in college you need 2 Science subjects or else 1 Science and Higher Level Maths. You can't predict you will still be studying HL Maths at this point so bet safe and keep your options open.

Business at LC level isn't too bad. The amount of A's is higher than most subjects. If you did okay in the Junior Cert then you'll be fine, it's essentially the same course but expanded in some areas. Most of the legislation in the Junior Cert is on the course and there are no accounts. The only "Maths" you need are the ratios and the Breakeven Chart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 JessyMc

9 higher level seems excessive as others have said, 7 is the usual maybe 8 if you are doing an ordinary subject, but 9 is alot of work for you, in my opinion you would be jeopardising your results, but I guess it depends on how comitted and determined you are as everyone is different. Good luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

bscm wrote: »
    Drop History, loved the course, hated the exam. It's a huge amount of information to learn and you only have 2 hours 50 minutes to do essentially 4 essays (the document WILL take you about 2 pages+)

Keep Geography, if you want to do any Science related course in college you need 2 Science subjects or else 1 Science and Higher Level Maths. You can't predict you will still be studying HL Maths at this point so bet safe and keep your options open.

Business at LC level isn't too bad. The amount of A's is higher than most subjects. If you did okay in the Junior Cert then you'll be fine, it's essentially the same course but expanded in some areas. Most of the legislation in the Junior Cert is on the course and there are no accounts. The only "Maths" you need are the ratios and the Breakeven Chart

I couldn't agree with this person more. Keep Geography, it's interesting and easy enough to get points in. For the love of God, drop History. Fascinating stuff, but the worst exam of them all and you don't need it. There is no reason to keep History over Geography.

I got 96% in my History exam. It didn't seem that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭IloveConverse

njd2010 wrote: »
    Fascinating stuff, but the worst exam of them all and
    bscm wrote: »
    Drop History, loved the course, hated the exam.

The thing is, I absolutey adore History, I most certainly would be devastated if I did drop History regardless of the rigorous workload.

Thanks very much all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

The thing is, I absolutey adore History, I most certainly would be devastated if I did drop History regardless of the rigorous workload.

By all means take History if you love it, subjects can be made much easier by having a genuine interest in it :)

I do think 9 subjects at Honours is way too much, there is a lot of work needed for each of the subjects you're thinking of doing. Which ones would you consider your strongest subjects? I'd say keep those, and the ones you really love, like History, and then see if you can forget about one. Know your college/course requirements as well and work around those.

Fair enough,because I was the very same, History was (still is, really )my favourite subject for as long as I can remember. I didn't actually do History from the start of 5th year, I was told I couldn't as one class was full and the other class clashed with my timetable. I begged, pleaded, negotiated and argued my way into History over the space of about 2 months. Finally the Principal let me swap Chemistry for History, and because so many people had told me I couldn't join I was more determined to get higher grades than anyone else in the class... and I did, got close to 100% for all the school tests and class tests, until the Mocks came around and I realised how wide the course really is, and how the exam is not designed for those who are good at History, but rather those who can write ungodly fast and those who get lucky.

But, like I said, if I'd known all this in 5th year I'd still have been stubborn and determined enough to do it, so all I can say is I warned you :p Maybe it'll go better for you than me. But really, listen to the others about doing 9 subjects, you're only hurting yourself. I only did 5 honours and 2 pass subjects, and It's quite possible I'll get 500 points. You are obviously determined and intelligent, but 9 subjects for the leaving cert is going to put you at a disadvantage. Work smarter, not harder!

njd2010 wrote: »
    Fair enough,because I was the very same, History was (still is, really )my favourite subject for as long as I can remember. I didn't actually do History from the start of 5th year, I was told I couldn't as one class was full and the other class clashed with my timetable. I begged, pleaded, negotiated and argued my way into History over the space of about 2 months. Finally the Principal let me swap Chemistry for History, and because so many people had told me I couldn't join I was more determined to get higher grades than anyone else in the class... and I did, got close to 100% for all the school tests and class tests, until the Mocks came around and I realised how wide the course really is, and how the exam is not designed for those who are good at History, but rather those who can write ungodly fast and those who get lucky.

But, like I said, if I'd known all this in 5th year I'd still have been stubborn and determined enough to do it, so all I can say is I warned you :p Maybe it'll go better for you than me. But really, listen to the others about doing 9 subjects, you're only hurting yourself. I only did 5 honours and 2 pass subjects, and It's quite possible I'll get 500 points. You are obviously determined and intelligent, but 9 subjects for the leaving cert is going to put you at a disadvantage. Work smarter, not harder!

That just isn't true. Writing 3-4 pages in 40 minutes shouldn't be beyond anybody's capability (and that's all it requires, at ~9 words per line, anything more is waffling and overkill), and if you do a bit of work you should be well able to cover enough of the course to be safe. You look like you are just making weak excuses for yourself.

Also, why is it always about points? Perhaps the OP wants to do a course they are certain they will get the points for, and so can afford to do extra subjects?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

That just isn't true. Writing 3-4 pages in 40 minutes shouldn't be beyond anybody's capability (and that's all it requires, at ~9 words per line, anything more is waffling and overkill), and if you do a bit of work you should be well able to cover enough of the course to be safe.

This..... sums the History course up perfectly....
    Practice is the most important thing about History... if you practice your style and get it down to writing concise points and keep it tied together with some flow and you'll be grand. It comes with with practice....

And if your really stuck, usually 1 of the 3 main topics in each book comes up in someway.... if you did the chapters these you'd be covered for a bit...

And if you make sure your research topic is top notch theres no reason not to get an A

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MsJenjers

I've just finished 5th year and I've found that 7 subjects kept my life hectic enough! :pac: Keep history since it means a lot to you, maybe drop one of the business subjects. Definitely keep Biology and German anyway. Geography's fairly handy, the same questions pretty much come up every year and there's good choice.

• Advertisement

Also, why is it always about points? Perhaps the OP wants to do a course they are certain they will get the points for, and so can afford to do extra subjects?

Hmm... If that was the case, I'm not sure what the point of asking here would be?

My point is, out of those 9 subjects, History is the first I'd recommend dropping, especially if it's a choice between that and Geography. A lot of people do ok at it, but a lot of people also don't. It's a difficult exam, and IMO the amount of preparation required for it isn't comparable to most other subjects.

History has a higher A and A/B rate than Geography.

The only figures I could find online were from 06, but I imagine it's similar.

12.5% of HL History Students got an A, compared to 9.8% for Geography. A further 30.2% got a B, compared to 31.6% for Geography, making the A/B rate 42.7% for History, and 41.4% for Geography. The fail rate for History is 4.4% to 1.6% in Geography, but I assume the OP is clever enough not to be worried about failing, so that doesn't matter.

http://www.stopgradeinflation.ie/LC.pdf

Plus, Geography is incredibly boring IMO, and History isn't.

Also, as I said before, it is NOT a difficult exam IMO. This is subjective, however.

History has a higher A and A/B rate than Geography.

The only figures I could find online were from 06, but I imagine it's similar.

12.5% of HL History Students got an A, compared to 9.8% for Geography. A further 30.2% got a B, compared to 31.6% for Geography, making the A/B rate 42.7% for History, and 41.4% for Geography. The fail rate for History is 4.4% to 1.6% in Geography, but I assume the OP is clever enough not to be worried about failing, so that doesn't matter.

Considering the History and Geography exams we did didn't actually exist until 2006, I don't think it's fair to assume that those numbers are comparable to a 2012 student at all, the same way the honours Project Maths results for 2017 for example couldn't fairly be compared to 2011 or 2012. Anyway, we're on the verge of hijacking the thread here... let's agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

English- Honours
    Irish- Honours
    Maths- Honours
    German- Honours
    Biology- Honours
    History- Honours
    Geography- Honours
    Accounting- Honours

Can I ask why you're doing this? I can understand trying to get a well-rounded education and that there are people that love learning, but from a points-perspective, I think you're playing with fire. My first time around with the Leaving I struggled to even keep up with 7 Honours subjects (mainly due to Maths). Always remember you can learn outside the classroom, if learning is your motivation.

The Leaving Cert. course is not impossible. You'll definitely get through it, but if you're planning on doing a high points course you need to be tactical. There is no point getting all B1s (still an excellent result) when you are capable of getting As and Bs as part of your best six. There is no comparison between Junior and Leaving Certificate, in terms of volume and understanding, I think. I remember the workload being a bit of a shock when I went into 5th Year.

When picking subjects, first and foremost choose ones you love! Make sure that if you know there are some courses you want to do that you know the requirements, e.g. HL Irish for primary school teaching. Get your hands on LC books if you can and talk to older relatives/friends or people on here about the exams.

I'll tap down my experience of your subjects. I got 475 first time around with 6 honours subjects. I repeated this year with 7 honours and one pass.

English: English is an absolute behemoth of a subject. I got an A in my Junior Cert and worked incredibly hard during both years, doing extra essays and comprehensions from exam papers consistently. I got a B2 in my Leaving and was gutted considering the time I put in. This year I was even more unhappy with my exam after all the graft I'd put in. I like to think I have a flair for languages and I enjoy reading but exam technique is absolutely crucial in this (and really all) subjects. It's something I couldn't fully grasp. You'll have to do a play (often Shakespearean) in detail and three other texts in lesser detail, as well as 5 poets (generally 5/6 poems per poet). That includes learning quotes for all texts/poems! It is possible to do well, but it isn't comparable to JC level at all.

Irish: The course has changed. Significantly the oral is worth 40% now, a nice bonus if you're confident/bubbly, because you can improve your oral Irish with hard graft. Bear in mind you'll have poems/literature to cover as well.

Maths: I think for HL Maths you need to be comfortable with the basics (e.g. algebra) from your JC. A good foundation really helps. You also need a good teacher who can explain the principles of maths to you- I had three different teachers throughout my time in LC Maths. Even in Ordinary Level I learned more about Maths because when I dropped I had teachers who actually explained stuff clearly without saying "just do this when you see this". Undoubtedly there are people who "get it" and there are people who don't, but if Project Maths is anything like the old course your HL Maths book will become very comfortable in your bag. To even just pass HL Maths tests I had to try and do an hour/hour and a half of Maths a night. I regretted not dropping sooner to devote myself to other subjects for points.

German: Bear in mind the time that goes into oral work. Leading up to the oral it will inevitably become your focus and other subjects will suffer a little for those few weeks. Never did LC German but heard grammar was massive and the oral is supposed to have a role play; you've to prepare a few of those but that's good!

Biology: I got an A2 in Biology first time around. It helped that I loved the subject, but it really steps up from JC Science! Plant Biology, although not the be-all and end-all absolutely has to be covered to ensure a high grade and a lot of people hate it. Biology is certainly one of the "easier" LC Sciences in that you don't really have to "get" what you're talking about (although if you do, it's SO much easier!). Learning key points of biological processes/diagrams/definitions is the crux of this subject. In the past two years the paper has been twisted slightly and been less straightforward IMO- it really rewards those who understand and work hard instead of those who just rote-learn. Maybe that'll continue, I dunno.

Geography: I notice you've a lot of Business subjects. I'd a friend who did all the Business subjects and hated Geography, she found it too vague :p Couldn't disagree more with EuropeanSon, I found Geography to be interesting, stimulating and very relevant to today's world. LC Geography goes beyond just Physical processes (like mountain formation) and looks at regions, why they develop where they do and their unique characteristics that distinguish them from other regions. This involves studying regions in detail and really learning off facts. You'll use your JC skills like map and photo reading too. Check out if your school does the Economic Elective- if so, your Business subjects will complement the subject beautifully, especially Economics. The Option question lets you study biomes and soil. If you like nature documentaries about how animals, plants, soil and climate interact in say, the rainforest or desert, you'll love it. :) It's a huge subject, you can always study a bit more in it, and recent papers have been less predictable/"easy" to answer with regurgitated material, like Biology I suppose. It takes a lot of time to write out notes, go through papers and do sample answers. You'll also have a project which eats up time nicely just after your oral when you've promised yourself to spend more time at those subjects that suffered :P

/rant - Don't burn yourself out. There's more to the senior cycle and life in general than just the Leaving Cert!! I know I learned LOADS about myself and my mates in my final few years that had nothing to do with books.

Good luck with it all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BrapBrap!

English- Honours
    Irish- Honours
    Maths- Honours
    German- Honours
    Biology- Honours
    History- Honours
    Geography- Honours
    Accounting- Honours

I can give you advice here from experience. I took on 9 subjects(English,Irish,Maths,Biology,French,Physics,Applied Maths, Engineering and Classical Studies) all HL for my lc in 2010. I studied Physics and Applied Maths at home, because they were unavailable at school and I planned to go into a theoretical physics degree.
    If I had a the option I would have dropped classics and if I had more sense I would have probably done ordinary irish instead, since at least half of my study time went into those subjects (Memerising stuff bleh ><).
    That way I would have more time to work on the "extra" subjects. See, I noticed it was hard to fit in the self-taught subjects, in the midst of subjects with teacher-given work. Nonetheless I sorted out my priorities(maths&phys) when it came to the exams and It all went grand. I got 570: 4a1's, an a2 in physics and B2's in irish, classics, english and app. maths.

So, having lived through taking 9 subjects I would say drop any unneccessary subjects or at least take them at OL. More subjects=More time. It really depends on why you want to take that subject. If you're just interested you don't need to do an exam on it, unless well, it's an option at school and then great. If it's course related, or extremely useful, you should probably take it. For me, coming out of the lc, irish and classics are pretty much worthless to me. I wish I could have dropped them. The other 7 have come into use. All in all, I recommend to think about what you want. If you'd like more chill time, take less subjects, or take them at OL. Also if the subject you wish to take outside school has a lot of material. I strongly advise against taking it.

I hope I have helped xD

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

WHY??? WHY????? :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

I started off 5th year with ten subjects.

English
    Irish
    Maths
    French
    Biology
    History
    Ag
    Art
    Economics
    LCVP

All honours.

I dropped economics by christmas of 5th year. I dropped art at the start of 6th year. I dropped LCVP before christmas of 6th year.
    Did 7 honours for my leaving cert and at the time one of those being a pass subject would have relieved a lot of stress.

Moral of the story. Don't do 9 subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Moral of the story. Don't do 9 subjects.
    I would agree, I think you're spreading yourself too thin tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭IfUSeekAmy

your subjects are incoherent.

presuming you want one science and a language in addition to the basic3.

you then have: geography, history, accounting, economics / business.

do you want to be a historian / accountant?

Or are you the glory type that wants to be on the front of the indo come results 2013.

There is no shame in that, if you are, best of luck to you.

If I were you, I'd cut it to 7 and do economics & history.

Economics is lovely. Applicable. Useful. I found Geography and business, both to be derges of subjects. Accounting I never studied.

History always seemed lovely to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭eor123

I think you kind of have to play the system a little. but doing 9 subjects is a bit pointless..
    My advice would be to do subjects that compliment each other, Im doing Business, economics and Geography, Oh and LCVP. The business and Economics oviously over lap, likewise with Bus and LCVP. And with Gography there is an elective to do something to do with Economics (my teacher didnt pick that one) and the EU is complimented with the study of Economics and Business.

So it all kind of comliments each ther and you gain a better understanding of topics by looking at them from different angles, like for example doing Supply and Demand (basic) in ecomonics can be seen in action when you study about the Common Agricultural Policy under the EU section in geography..

Advertisement