Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nine Subjects

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

9 subjects -Who am I to judge. If you want it, and have the work ethic then definately go for it, it does pay off well if you manage your time properly.

I did 8 subjects, having taken up business at Christmas in 6th year (leaving less than 2 months for the pre!) and it definately paid off. Would recommend business studies to anyone thinking of taking up an extra subject. Relatively easy at honours level compared to the more heavy subjects.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Is Applied Maths still an option for those chasing the high points?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If you're good at maths then yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Is App Maths do-able in a year? And if you don't do physics? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Neagghhh...I tried Applied Maths alone during my time in LC. It's not a simple, straightforward A1. I'd advise anyone thinking of taking it up themselves to be wary of it - I read about it on boards and with the way people were talking I thought it'd be a gauranteed A1.

• Advertisement

A relation of mine is thinking of doing

Irish, English and French (Ordinary Level)
    Very hard subjects to do well at higher level is the thinking here.

Maths, Applied Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology,
    Geography or History or Home Economics or ???
    (All Higher Level)

Any thoughts??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

(All Higher Level)

Any thoughts??

Business would be good, it's a decent subject, mainly common sense with a bit of learning. If they did it for the JC then they should be ok for the LC, but a lot of people took it up for the Leaving in my year and found it ok

(All Higher Level)

Any thoughts??

But is it madness to attempt 6 higher level papers + 3 ordinary level papers??? (9 subjects)

Or would this be regarded as good tactics???

Would be easier to do HL English and keep it at 8 subjects

English is very hard to score well in.
    Would it not be easier to scrape a pass in Ordinary English and work on an easier higher level paper?

I'm out of this scene for a while and nobody even thought of these tactics in my day.
    Is it common now?

• Advertisement

English isnt awfully bad to score highly in and I think its too crucial a subject to just 'drop', it will come in handy with other subjects like History and imo it looks pretty bad if you've done ordinary English...might just be me though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I don't understand why you would start 5th year with ordinary subjects. Do higher, don't waste your time taking 3 extra papers.

And also:

I did 8 papers. Was doing 7 HL coming into 6th year, dropped Irish to ordinary during 6th year and around Christmas I started taking 1 class a week in ordinary French to have a 3rd language. From my experience it just becomes an extra burden around exam times that you have so many to do, wouldn't recommend it at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭luciemc

(All Higher Level)

Any thoughts??

I did ordinary Irish, and eight higher level: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Applied Maths, Spanish, French, English, Accounting

Dropped Irish at the end of fifth, I was never going to do extremely well in it and need high points.. English I never studied but decided to keep up the honours anyway as I felt it would be almost impossible to fail even with no study, and as someone else mentioned some people look badly on pass English. I find French and Spanish are a lot easier to score well in than English and Irish, but if languages aren't your thing then maybe pass French is a better option. It all depends on what kind of points you'll need for your course, and how good your maths is too, if it's only average then English or French might be easier to do well in than say, Applied Maths, but I'm assuming you like maths if you're planning on studying all the science-y subjects. What about Ag-Sci as a sixth? I've heard it's not too bad? And I'd go for geography over history but this is just from friends' experiences I obviously didn't sit them..

So basically I'm only counting six: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Applied Maths, Spanish, French. I had Accounting as a backup in case something went terribly wrong but I'm pretty sure I won't need it.

Our plans seem sort of similar but I don't have my results yet so I don't know how it worked out for me... I could PM them to you next week if that would be of any help?

I hear what you are saying about Higher English but at the end of the day it's all about points.
    When you finish your degree nobody will ask how you did in any Leaving Cert subject.

Best of luck next week.
    No need to PM results - I was only interested in peoples thoughts about doing more than the usual 7 subjects.
    ie. Tactical Selection???

Is it a runner for those good at the maths/science subjects to concentrate on these for points and let the others slide (but still pass ordinary level) ???

Anyone ever hear of it being done???

If 9 subjects is still too much I would advise a rethink though.

Advertisement