Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to find a Tattooing Apprenticeship

Options
  • 25-07-2011 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hello everyone!

I'm a product design student in the Limerick School of Art and Design. I've been considering tattoo artistry for a long time, but now that I'm a proper grown up I thought I'd look into it seriously.

I'm a very good draughtswoman, if I can say so myself, and got a score of 500 out of 600 in my portfolio entry exam to college. I've always drawn and designed for as long as I can remember, and can draw in many different styles. (If you don't believe me, check out my deviantArt account. I have the same username.)

Tattooing has always fascinated me. I usually go with friends who are getting tattooed just so I can watch it happen. I spend a lot of time visiting tattoo artists just to see their work, and have watched countless videos on the internet and TV about the process. I've always wanted a tattoo, but have never been able to afford one.

Now, I'm probably not even apprenticeship material: I've never used a tattoo needle and never been tattooed. I'm unemployed, financially dependant on my parents (still) and those parents are completely and utterly anti-body modification. I live in Limerick but am moving to Ennis because of financial reasons, and can't drive.

I realise there are not many tattoo artists who would believe that I'm serious because of the above, but I am serious about doing this. I would sweep floors, do paperwork, buy fags or even be tea-lady for a tattoo shop for free just as long as I can get my fingers into the field of tattoo artistry.

My problem is, I have absototalutely no idea where the frack to even begin in my Quest. Can anyone help me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Have you tried walking into a tattoo shop/parlour and actually asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

Yeah go find a Tattoo artist who's been around for a long time and talk to him/her and show them your art & show an interest/passion...
    Tattooing on skin is a lot different though (obviously) lots of watching and learning for a long time and...
    I would sweep floors, do paperwork, buy fags or even be tea-lady for a tattoo shop for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ithiliendude

Have you tried walking into a tattoo shop/parlour and actually asking?
    Locust wrote: »
    Yeah go find a Tattoo artist who's been around for a long time and talk to him/her and show them your art & show an interest/passion... Tattooing on skin is a lot different though (obviously) lots of watching and learning for a long time and...

Y'know what, these seem like the most obvious answers. Dunno why I didn't think of it before... I'll do that ASAP!! =)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Didnt Ross Nagle or Danny Bullman have some sort of ad in the post awhile back looking for an apprentice. I honestly cant remember if it was them but there was definitely one in limerick looking, as i remember reading it in the post.

Id do what the others said OP just call in and ask them face to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

the main thing is don't be thrown off by rejection. I'd say tattoo artists get a load of people asking them constantly, but if you just persist you never know what'll happen. If you go in every so often just for a chat or whatever they'll see you're serious about it and not just chancing your arm. Don't give up if you get turned down! It'll be difficult though. Best of luck. I'm sure if you have enough talent, determination and potential, something might happen for you. Keep us posted!

• Advertisement
Advertisement