Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USD account with no or little maintenance fee

Options
  • 25-07-2011 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I got a smallish amount of USD in cash (7k $) and would like to deposit them somewhere safe (a bank I guess) as I travel to the US once a year at least and don't want to exchange currency every time. What is the cheapest USD account out there? I don't really care about getting high interest as the amount is quite small, but at least avoid too many bank fees.

Thank you....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

USD hold account but you may not have enough cash to open one.

Hold accounts have crap interest rates, but that's not an issue for you. It would also require you to go into your branch to withdraw and depending on the amount some notice will have to be given, 24 hrs etc depending on your local branch size.

A USD current account will have to many fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

PTSB offer retail USD accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 socroni

Fungus wrote: »
    PTSB offer retail USD accounts.
    Lloyd's Offshore have a USD account with a debit card.
    Just to note with the PTSB account that you are unable to make USD bank wires from it. Only bank drafts, which I found to be awkward as bank drafts are crap for many reasons.
    Let us know which account you went for OP.

Advertisement