Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for Athiests and church bashers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I am an Atheist, they call me a vulture. I am purity! They call me perverted!
    God forbid people make their own decisions!
    How does one join the church of Atheism anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

cursai wrote: »
    How does one join the church of Atheism anyway?

you have to read Dawkins then pass a written test on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

No. It didn't fly in the first place.

May the Lord have mercy on your soul, In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti, ahmen.

RichieC wrote: »
    you have to read Dawkins then pass a written test on it.

I think you have to read the Bible and the Quran and FAIL that exam, tbh.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

marty1985 wrote: »
    This again depends on your definition of religion, which is hard to define, and most people don't agree on definitions because the behaviors involved are so complex. A tribe turns a Christian into an atheist - that's Ok. Because they don't believe in God says nothing of whether they have any forms of religious expressionism, namely rituals which are a key feature of religion, more so than a belief in God - a typically Western association with religion. But I look forward to reading the story and seeing if the commonly held beliefs of biologists have changed since it's publication but I doubt it.

THis post would suggest your "definition" of religion is so broad that you could probably twist just about anything to fit into it. :/

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,242 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

gbee wrote: »
    It's gone over your head I see. The girls were naked and made free love, their 'husbands' did not have the concept of fidelity until the missionaries arrived and beat it into them. :rolleyes:

and made the girls wear clothes

The missionaries made them stop surfing too :( cnuts.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    THis post would suggest your "definition" of religion is so broad that you could probably twist just about anything to fit into it. :/

Not answering for the quoted recipient. But I do find myself in a silly situation, I'm an atheists, but I do have religious leanings, I've a smiling Buddha in my garden and I tend to believe in aspects of religions as diverse as Janisism and Tom Cruise's thing to the unforgivable sin of a multi deity, as in Japan and more places where the Roman or western or Jewish religion did not penetrate.

Religion should not be taught to children, that's child abuse as criminal as the paedophile priests IMO.

Religion should be no harm, the community, the service of thanks, the offering of peace, all noble things, it just should not be attached to a 'God' and an enforced 'belief' in such. There is no harm in having fun with Santa Claus, as long as the children don't believe in it.

One can suspend reality, we do it all the time going to the cinema, religion, Santa, all the same, no problem as long as we do not believe it's real, we CAN pretend and have fun and all that.,

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

Mickeroo wrote: »
    This again depends on your definition of religion, which is hard to define, and most people don't agree on definitions because the behaviors involved are so complex. A tribe turns a Christian into an atheist - that's Ok. Because they don't believe in God says nothing of whether they have any forms of religious expressionism, namely rituals which are a key feature of religion, more so than a belief in God - a typically Western association with religion. But I look forward to reading the story and seeing if the commonly held beliefs of biologists have changed since it's publication but I doubt it.

I said before I cannot define it. The three or four atheists here don't understand it at all seemingly, equating it with God, or the Catholic Church interchangeably.

Max Weber wrote a whole book about it, saying at the start that a definition could only be attempted at the end of his study, then failed to define it at the end.

Notice in my posts I used religion and religious behavior. I state a lot that religion is a social behavior. Someone responds to my post to say "religion is social". Then someone said is non organized religion a religion anyway. The group think seems to be to attack all religion no matter what without really understanding what religion is. The Falun Gong religion is mainly physical exercise and meditation. Is it a virus too?

To deny the benefits of religion in our primitive history for warfare, agriculture and so on, is quite ignorant. It's similar to fundamental Christians denying other parts of our history. In fact, the social cohesiveness of atheists bonding together to deny an argument, even an argument that was made by Charles Darwin, is quite something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Downlinz wrote: »
    If you believe the church is corrupt + power hungry and that god isn't real.

What does that say about your judgment on the intelligence of your parents, grandparents and other relatives who more than likely devoted so much of their lives to these causes? As a huge part of our society wouldn't it imply you believed they were gullible and naive people to live the way they did? Perhaps weak-willed to stand out from the crowd and question accepted truths?

(p.s. I am an athiest and pondering this question myself. Not looking to start some sort of shame parade or anything)

My parents were atheist :p

Overheal wrote: »

Your argument is invalidated.
    However, they do believe in spirits that can sometimes take on the shape of things in the environment. These spirits can be jaguars, trees, or other visible, tangible things including people.[11] Everett reported one incident where the Pirahã said that “Xigagaí, one of the beings that lives above the clouds, was standing on a beach yelling at us, telling us that he would kill us if we go into the jungle.” Everett and his daughter could see nothing and yet the Pirahã insisted that Xigagaí was still on the beach.

Religious behavior. Sorry.

• Advertisement

To help make it clearer, I'll quote from the article now that I've read it. Was on a mobile device when it was posted.
    he had travelled to the Amazon in the 70s to bring the tribe “the joy of faith” only to discover that they were a deeply contented people. In fact they seemed far better contented than he was.

I have been at pains to point out that religion is not God or a supreme being, and the belief in one, or a Creator, is not necessary for religion. Do Buddhists believe in God, or a creator?

I will make a further clarification. Religion is not faith.

There is an excellent video someone posted in the atheist forum about the greatest academic minds discussing God.

One of them, Daniel Dennet, the philosopher and cognitive scientist, makes the point perfectly.

What he explains, is that God has been designed by man to be beyond the verification process of science - a classic adaptation of religion, to create a gulf. Science can just understand this fact and see how religions evolved. The idea of God being beyond science is absent in folk religion, it's all one, it's what everyone knows.
    to bring the tribe “the joy of faith”

They don't need a concept of faith. The idea of faith comes with the separation of science from what we think we know. They don't have such a separation.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Religious behavior. Sorry.
    I contend hallucinogen,
    Everett reported one incident where the Pirahã said that “Xigagaí, one of the beings that lives above the clouds, was standing on a beach yelling at us, telling us that he would kill us if we go into the jungle.” Everett and his daughter could see nothing and yet the Pirahã insisted that Xigagaí was still on the beach.
    :)

Is there any part of my rebuttal you don't agree with or are you trolling, for lack of a better word? Your statement that my argument was invalid is therefore withdrawn, and this sideshow can stop and we can return to the main argument?

Is there any part of my rebuttal you don't agree with or are you trolling, for lack of a better word? Your statement that my argument was invalid is therefore withdrawn, and this sideshow can stop and we can return to the main argument?
    Oh you're still here. Allow me to actually rebut your rebut of my rebut by rebutting that you see them seeing spirits as Religion, but that's not true at all. It's Spirituality, and we had this discussion earlier you and I about the differences. Do they believe they must sacrifice their virgins to the Jaguar spirit, or only eat meat on a Tuesday? Do they Proselyte? No.
    Daniel Everett states that one of the strongest Pirahã values is no coercion; you simply don't tell other people what to do.[4] There appears to be no social hierarchy; the Pirahã have no formal leaders.

As I agreed with you earlier humans developed with Spirituality, but Religion is an invention of Society, and in particular hierarchical societies and civilizations, such as the Romans, Egyptians, Greeks, the Chinese, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Your original claim was that religion is innate.

You have been rebutted on the innate claim and offered absolutely nothing in the way of proof of your claim.

What more do you want!?

Oh you're still here. Allow me to actually rebut your rebut of my rebut by rebutting that you see them seeing spirits as Religion, but that's not true at all. It's Spirituality, and we had this discussion earlier you and I about the differences. Do they believe they must sacrifice their virgins to the Jaguar spirit, or only eat meat on a Tuesday? Do they Proselyte? No.

Your position, therefore, is that it's not religious behavior to take direction from a higher being under the threat of retribution from said higher power?

Your position, therefore, is that it's not religious behavior to take direction from a higher being under the threat of retribution from said higher power?
    Who says they view it as a Higher Power? The article is quite explicit that they do not believe in such things.
    The Pirahã have no concept of a supreme spirit or god[10] and they lost interest in Jesus when they discovered that Everett had never seen him. They require evidence for every claim you make. They aren't interested in things if they don't know the history behind them, if they haven't seen it done.[4] However, they do believe in spirits that can sometimes take on the shape of things in the environment. These spirits can be jaguars, trees, or other visible, tangible things including people.[11] Everett reported one incident where the Pirahã said that “Xigagaí, one of the beings that lives above the clouds, was standing on a beach yelling at us, telling us that he would kill us if we go into the jungle.” Everett and his daughter could see nothing and yet the Pirahã insisted that Xigagaí was still on the beach.[12]

Who says they view it as a Higher Power? The article is quite explicit that they do not believe in such things.

Your attempt to pull this into the direction of a debate on word play is telling. Your view is that there is no religious behavior - which includes actions and avoidances, not necessarily a deity as I already pointed out -at play, and I'll leave it at that.

Edit: I just want to highlight something:
    The Pirahã have no concept of a supreme spirit or god[10] and they lost interest in Jesus when they discovered that Everett had never seen him. They require evidence for every claim you make. They aren't interested in things if they don't know the history behind them, if they haven't seen it done.[4] However, they do believe in spirits that can sometimes take on the shape of things in the environment. These spirits can be jaguars, trees, or other visible, tangible things including people.[11] Everett reported one incident where the Pirahã said that “Xigagaí, one of the beings that lives above the clouds, was standing on a beach yelling at us, telling us that he would kill us if we go into the jungle.” Everett and his daughter could see nothing and yet the Pirahã insisted that Xigagaí was still on the beach.[12]
    Highlights are for irony. They'd want to take their own advice. They're Animists. It's about as old school religion as you can get.

Your attempt to pull this into the direction of a debate on word play is telling. Your view is that there is no religious behavior - which includes actions and avoidances, not necessarily a deity as I already pointed out -at play, and I'll leave it at that.
    I accept your apology.

Your original claim was that religion is innate.

You have been rebutted on the innate claim and offered absolutely nothing in the way of proof of your claim.

What more do you want!?

I have contended that religion is an innate part of the collective unconscious, nothing that should shock you so much as this is a widely discussed topic, a belief held by Carl Jung. My argument was that religious behavior is an adaptive part of evolution precisely because it helped us to survive. I outlined the benefits of religion in primitive societies clearly and concisely in a post about two pages back, which have not been refuted, I would almost say my points have been conveniently overlooked.

I understand this is not even an atheism forum, so I was always unlikely to get the most studied debate, but I feel if you want to promote the idea that religion is bad and never has been good, you need to have an argument. Perhaps you've never had to debate another non-believer before.

I hope at least I have got you thinking.

There were one or two posters who had good thoughts, but now I can see where it's going to go straight down the road of trolling and word play and laughs, as with the previous post, I won't offer any more debate on the topic until you're ready.

Adding this quote of my own earlier post for Chuck Stone:
    The main evidence for thinking that it is an evolved part of human nature is the fact that it is universal. Every society in the world possesses religion. This suggests it's an adaptation, a trait shaped by natural selection. If it's an adaptation, it has a genetic basis. In fact, the common features of religion wouldn't persist for over 2000 generations, 50000 years, without a genetic basis. "The universal features of a species have a Darwinian explanation", said Richard Dawkins, and he was correct.
    I have proven the rebuttal of this - the story of the tribe - doesn't invalidate it at all. Quite the opposite, in fact. It proves the universality of the behavior, another irony in your ironic posts.

• Advertisement

Downlinz wrote: »
    If you believe the church is corrupt + power hungry and that god isn't real.

What does that say about your judgment on the intelligence of your parents, grandparents and other relatives who more than likely devoted so much of their lives to these causes? As a huge part of our society wouldn't it imply you believed they were gullible and naive people to live the way they did? Perhaps weak-willed to stand out from the crowd and question accepted truths?

(p.s. I am an athiest and pondering this question myself. Not looking to start some sort of shame parade or anything)

To address the original post of the OP:

My personal belief differs from most of my ancestors, who were Irish Catholics. That they might have been religious in their behavior and attended church services does not give us any clue of their intelligence. To debate the intelligence of religious believers, is one of the great wastes of time.

My own personal opinion, is that they behaved as they did because a part of them felt like it was the right thing to do. Why they felt that way is another topic, what pressures they felt from external forces is another topic, but it boils down to that. They did what they thought was best for the society that they belonged to and for their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

As a quick point I would like to say you're right here on the wording. What I wanted to say is that we could not, and would not, have evolved the way we did, without religion it would have been very different, for better or for worse is another question, which we'll never know.

Again however that is speculation and not fact. We have no points of comparison and no way to verify the claim experimentally. You are of course welcome to your speculation but I find no use for it.

Even if we WERE to grant the premise that we would not have evolved the way we did without religion this again says nothing because we would then have to speculate on how we would have evolved differently, and it is just as valid to suggest we would have been better off without it as worse as you suggest yourself.

Given things like, for example, the historic religious aversion to scientific and intellectual advancement… who is to say how far our progress has been set back by religion.

So while it is an interesting thought experiment to play with in one’s mind, I see nothing to suggest what you are saying is true, valid, useful or relevant on any level in reality.
    Religion exists in relation to beliefs, sure, but belief is not central. The fact that the belief, whatever it is, is shared, is what makes it a religion. The belief itself is not central to what religion is.

Indeed but the point I wanted to highlight was that there are very diverse belief systems in the world and religious ones are usually differentiated by their metaphysical content and reliance on faith in unsubstantiated claims.

One could contrast that to Humanism and other non metaphysical systems of thought which are in danger of being falsely labeled "religions" by the rather dilute definition of "religion" you were appearing to work with in your last posts. Do we think that Humanism is any less "emotionally binding" a system of thought and that it any less "unites people" than what you are talking about? Probably not, but it would still be ludicrous to label it a "religion".

Some people on the atheist forum here like Mistress69 even attempt to label Atheism a religion. That is how dilute the definition of religion has become for some people. Alas when a word becomes so dilute that it literally encompasses anything you want it to... the usefulness of such a word has passed.
    There is no religion of magic, as far as I'm aware.

Things like wicca and voodoo might at least push the boundaries of that claim even if they do not break it.
    I'll point out again that I was using past tense. Whether it does or doesn't is another topic, but it did, in a time when we were less developed and more in need of it, as I've outlined already in the examples of my post.

But again I am not so sure it did. You are still making the same mirror image error. The socially constructive behavior was likely there anyway, religion just tacked itself on to it in retrospect (just like with morality which you already agree came "first" and religion tacked itself on later) and gained credibility by proxy.

This continued error of assuming Religion promotes or even supports things which were there before it tacked itself on to them is one that gives Religion more credibility and justification inside the heads of people who make that error that it deserves. Religious memes have evolved to become masters of latching on to things we already have, already want and already agree upon and making it look like it is religion that promotes and supports those things.
    This is inappropriate language. We are both non-believers, but I think it's wrong to call anyone's beliefs lies. They are unsubstantiated beliefs. When you say it's a lie, you need to be able to prove it's a lie.

And in many (if not all) instances we can! So maybe it is best you worry abou the language content of your posts and leave me to worry about that of my own.
    The only evidence I can give you right now is that none of those societies are here, and you don't know of any society that survived without religion, because we are the survivors, and a religious instinct is universal in us.

Again the same two problems as before.

1) You say "none of those societies are here" but you have not given an example of such a society that was there and is now not here. There is no level playing field of comparison. Until we actually try a given society and see what its survivability is like we can not comment on it. Your statements make as much sense therefore as saying..... "2 arms are better than 3 or 4 because all the human societies with 4 arms are now not here.". There never was such a society, so it has not been tested.

2) Again it is not an instinct universal to us. OTHER instincts and attributes are universal to us and religion uses them. This is a subtle but massively important difference both in the context of a religious discussion AND a discussion on evolution and how it works. Not all traits, attributes, behaviours and instincts are evolves but are side effects of others which are. There is no "religious instinct" and no evidence for one. There are however evidences for things like "agency detection" which do exist and which leave us prone to religion. Religion instinct is not something we have evolved. Being prone to religious infection is.
    It is clear from your writing that you are starting from the viewpoint that religion is bad. I am trying hard to be unbiased.

It is not a viewpoint I start from but one I have been led to. If you find anything 'X' where 1) Every benefit of X, real or imagined, can be attained just as well without X and 2) X causes harm.... is something I will label as "bad" because point 1 means it is superfluous to any requirements and point 2 means that even ONE bad thing therefore puts it into negative equity of usefulness... and thus harmful and worth resisting or removing.

Given there is no good that we have found that has come from religion that could not have been attained just as well in its absence therefore... and given the harm religion does cause on many levels... I find it fits my definition of "bad".
    The view that religion has been passed on like a virus is stretched, because nonsensical information is not of great help in the struggle for survival and is unlikely to have been passed on for 2000 generations in every known human society since the dispersal from Africa.

It is not as unlikely as you think because that is exactly how viruses work! You have described exactly what viruses do, and have been doing for millennia, and then acted surprised that it would do so effectively.

You are making the mistake of thinking about it in terms of the advantage to humans, their struggle for survival and so on. This is a massive mistake in evolutionary thinking but one easily rectified.

Think again of the analogy to viruses and how we pass them on. We do not pass them on because it is "of great help in the struggle for survival". We pass them on because it is of great help to the VIRUS. Not to us. Despite the fact that Viral RNA is nonsensical to us, harmful, of no use, does not help our survival... we are still perfect machines at taking them in, reproducing them, and passing them on.

Reverse your thinking. Think of the passing on of the Virus/Religion not in terms of the benefit to US but to the think being passed on itself.

The example given to me was that of an ant. Imagine sitting in a field and you see an ant climbing to the top of a blade of grass. This costs it massive energy and each time it falls it tries again and again. Finally it gets to the top and is eaten by a cow.

What benefit of this is there to the ant? It expended massive amounts of its life time, energy and effort in the endevour and it just got it killed in the end. There is no benefit to the ant so why did it do it? Was it just a fluke?

Yes actually it was. A lancet Fluke which has infected the mind of the ant and driven it like a car to the top of the grass where it wants to be eaten so it can get into the cow and continue it's reproductive life cycle.

The ants behaviour makes no sense in light of the question "What is the benefit to the ant". Change the question however to "What is the benefit to the parasite" and everything makes perfect sense.

I merely suggest doing the same with "religion". You are thinking too much in terms of "What is the benefit to the human of expending all this energy and time, and sometimes dying, just to pass on this idea of religion to others". The ant submits to the fluke and everything done is to benefit the fluke, not the ant. Do we not do the same with religion? I remind you "islam" means submission.

Change your question and many of the errors you are making will fall away.
    Religion has enormous costs for the people who practice it. If it had no benefits, tribes that devoted most of their time to it would not have survived against others that spent all day on military preparations.

Yet again you do not know this because yet again the universality of religion means you have not a religious society in conflict with a non religious society on which to base the claim.

In order to continue this dialogue, I need to stress again that the previous post of "Your argument is invalid" based on the tribe in the Amazon has to be conceded to be wrong, given that they do practice Animism. If my argument is not on the table, why would I bother continuing?

The major point I have to address with your view is your belief was just tacked on. This implies it is a bad invention of a priest or an organised church, which is wrong.

We are having trouble defining religion. But you accept that religion exists. Therefore it came from somewhere, and for some reason. The reason your propose seems to be the bad invention of a priest or church. I'll explain religion in the following way: all religions of the world are connected, so we can view religion as a tree. The major religions are all branches of that tree, and some grow directly from others, such as Mormonism from Christianity, and Christianity from Judaism. These are the organised religions. Paganism is not a church of magic by the way, it is a religion with a deity and rituals and a moral code. It's just another one that's misunderstood.

The trunk of this tree is the primitive religions of the hunter gatherer people. This gets us to the root of the argument, so to speak, that religion was tacked on. Organised churches and organised religions such as the ones mentioned previously may have been tacked on. But religion itself, in the broad term, was not tacked on. It was a natural growth. We know this because we can study the religions of the hunter gatherer people, our ancestors. Archaeologists and anthropologists devote a lot of time and energy to this, and not without reason. Archaeologists are limited by the amount of evidence they find, so instead anthropologists study the tribal and indigenous societies that we find, that survived without much outside influence for thousands of years.

In order to explain this further, I'll take Chuck Stone's example of the tribe in the Amazon, and I'd like to thank him for reference.

The religion you identify as bad has priests and an ecclesiastical hierarchy and has abused its power to guide and misguide and held back science at times. I don't need my friend Doctor Emmet Brown to explain how something that existed in the past has an effect on the present, it has already been illustrated by the effects of Old Gray's Almanac getting into the wrong hands in 1955, and resulted in Biff marrying Lorraine, who she stressed she would not marry "even if he had a million dollars." If there is an alternate reality where religion had never existed, I'm sure it's different, in good ways and bad ways. As you say, it's a thought experiment, but one that you are also doing with your assertion that we would have made huge advancements, like the Flux Capacitor, without religion. You need a more nuanced view. The "constant" warfare of science and religion is a myth that is circulated as historical fact, and ignores such things as the correlation of the rise of protestant religions and early experimental science, a view accepted by most scholars.

I return now to my example of religion as a tree, the bark being the primitive religions practiced by the hunter gatherer peoples. These religions don't have the typical features which you link as being "bad", such as the ecclesiastical hierarchy. This fact may have escaped the minds of other posters who delighted in Chuck Stone's example. In fact, one user highlighted that nobody was telling others what to do. This shows that what he might be opposed to is hierarchical religions. I already stated that these religions were extremely egalitarian - everyone was equal. There was no separate organisation such as a church.

The example of that tribe in the Amazon strengthens this claim. Anthropologists are used to seeing this trait in religions like this. It's is another example of the universality of religion. The fact that it was egalitarian, communal, is my first example of what all primitive religions had in common.

Second, most primitive religions have rituals. Dancing is a key feature. You might find examples of aboriginal tribes that dance for hours on end. This communal activity evokes intense emotion, and is important because it focuses on a common experience, not individual psychic satisfaction. This is a feature actually copied by armies in preparation for war - drills. When we see North Korean examples of phenomenal choreographed groups, we often react with horror, but what we are seeing is social cohesion. Obviously, this religious practice would benefit societies going into war - and hunter gatherer societies were at constant war. At constant war, in a constant struggle, religious behavior would have been wiped out because the time and energy devoted to it would, in effect, leave you for dead.

Third, most primitive religions have moral practices or practical lessons to the communities survival. In ancient societies, this was imputed to the gods. In modern religions, it's done through sacred texts.

Fourth, they aren't concerned with matters of theology. No wonder they didn't really care for the complex and at times brilliant theology of Christianity. They are concerned with practical things, such as survival, healing, hunting and the weather.

To claim that religion has had no benefit to humanity is a bold claim. The benefit is survival. You can stop looking for an example of a society that have no religion, because you won't find one. It's universal, anthropologists and archaeologists and scientists can see that. By invoking the argument of "I can't see a non-religious society, show me one", you are invoking the same argument of a deist against a non-believer. And the fact that it is universal shows that it has a genetic basis. Again, Dawkins: "Every universal feature must have a Darwinian explanation." I've given you the Darwinian explanation. Religion is an adaptive behavior. Science can plainly study the adaptation of religion into what it is today. It is an adaptive behavior because it has benefits. But if you start with the premise that it is bad, you will see it as a nonadaptive behavior. To truly study religion, you have to step outside of it, and leave you preconceptions aside, which I imagine is difficult for people mired in the mess that is Irish Catholicism. Philosophers say it is like studying love. You will only be interested in your own lover. A religious person starts with the notion that it's good, and has no fair interest in others. An atheist who believes religion is bad, is no better judge than the fundamental Christian.

Voltaire said "if God didn't exist, it would be necessary to invent him". It was necessary. We did that through religion.

Lastly, it is interesting that you give the example of ants, the other evolutionary masters of social living. You gave an example of a single ant. It's important to see a bigger picture and see how they survive as a group. They are special for the high degree of cooperation between members of the same colony. Just as with people, sociality toward the in-group is combined with hostility toward the out-group, other colonies. Ants are territorial and will fight battles. Science shows that they will destroy other colonies and kill the queen. Their greatest enemies are other ants, just as our greatest enemies are other men. What we can learn from this is that evolution shows cooperation and warfare are two sides of the same coin. Social cohesion is critical to both species. Ants, however, can share chemical signals to regulate their behavior. This is not compatible with human physiology. That's why ants don't need religion. We did.

Nozzferrahhtoo I appreciate the dialogue, I hope my post is interesting to you. I have responded to your post in essay form because I think responding quote by quote leaves little room for forward thinking and results in word play and going around in circles. It is also a little strange to be presenting an argument alone against 3 or 4 other contributors, so I don't expect to get much thanks, but I hope you appreciate my views all the same, and I hope anyone else might find it interesting.

:)

Aminism is a Spiritual belief, not an all-encompassing Religion. Aminism is found as a component to many religions, but is not the definition of them, and does not encompass that the tribe believes in Higher Powers, Gods, or Deities, the definition of Religious belief, I would think. Your argument is still strongly based in that humans require religion to function.

Religion is a social behavior, the word itself derives from another that means "to relate". Its religious services and rituals are communal. The quality of a group or a society depends on members' commitment to the group and adherence to its standards. It shapes behaviors owed to the in-group and the out-group.

How does this relate to how it was useful in the past? It enhanced the quality of life in a society and inspired people to die in defense of it. Darwin noted sociality arose as a defense against predators. Groups with a stronger religious inclination were more united and had a comparable advantage over less cohesive groups. Emotionally committed groups were more likely to prevail in warfare. Groups that used religion to coordinate collective social activities like planting fields would be better able to survive. People in more successful groups left more surviving children, evolution's only yardstick for success.

Another smart move of religion - it passed collected wisdom down generations to ensure society's survival and imputed it to the gods. Hunter gatherer societies were extremely egalitarian. There were no priests or Kings or police. I have stated this earlier in the thread. Religion was an invisible government before we had settled societies. It evolved with society, and did itself become government through religious power. When we first took up agriculture, we tied the main religious rites to the farming calendar because the unaccustomed hard labor required collective action.
    Back to the Amazonian tribe, there is no requirement to conformity, there is no coercion in the society. There is no standard. There is no passed down lineage. No collective wisdom. No historical record. And still no God. You equate feeling threatened by a Jungle Spirit to a Godlike commandment to not enter a jungle, but what if a child were to be afraid of a Jungle because she imagined a Tiger or a Lion inside of it? The Tiger or the Lion are imaginary. Does that mean she is taking commands from her imagination, that if she enters the jungle she will be eaten? That she views the imaginary Tiger as a higher spirit?

Animism is the most basic form of religious behavior, that's why it's in primitive societies, and we're discussing primitive religion. Religion didn't exist in the form that you're thinking of at all, that's why I outlined the characteristics of religious behavior in our ancestors, and animism fits all these, especially because in animism ritual is considered essential for survival. I have no need to repeat myself on ritual being universal in religion.
    there is no requirement to conformity, there is no coercion in the society. There is no standard. There is no passed down lineage. No collective wisdom.
    In a hunter gatherer society, if you don't fit in, you die. Was it a member of the tribe who went off and discovered the Christian? They are egalitarian. Yes, there is collective wisdom.
    And still no God.
    Moot point. Not necessary. They've still got a being who lives in the clouds though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Apologies for the delay in replying today, I decided to give your post some close attention before replying which took some time. Also bits of it seemed to be replying to things other people said rather than what I have said so I had to go read their posts for background, though mostly I deleted and ignored anything that appeared to be a reply to someone else hidden in the text to me.
    The major point I have to address with your view is your belief was just tacked on. This implies it is a bad invention of a priest or an organised church, which is wrong.

Not my implication at all, so I will not respond to any part of your text correcting that implication given it is not the one I intend or made.

I am talking about religion itself, in it's entirety, not the actions or inventions of individual members of it, or an individual church.

It is religion in and of itself that I think has evolved to tack itself on to things that we already value. Morality. Social cohesion. Beauty. Art. Charity. Dance (your example) And more. And in doing so it succeeds in giving people like yourself the false impression that it somehow supports or promotes these things or benefits us or them.

However it does not. Religion is as useful to us on those areas as the wrapping is edible and tasty on a mars bar. A sound analogy. Religion has made itself one of the wrappings on otherwise perfectly serviceable products. The wrapping is not required in either the manufacture or use of the product however.
    But you accept that religion exists. Therefore it came from somewhere, and for some reason.

Indeed, I never said otherwise but we are just disagreeing on what the reasons are.

I think more of the reasons, like a virus, are to serve it's own ends, rather than any of the ends of our species. And as I said above one of the ways it does this is by associating itself with things important to us as a species. Things it has nothing to do with really in any meaningful or (more importantly) useful way.

Your dedication to Darwinism is admirable but I think you would do well to study it further. You are displaying this notion that any trait or behavior that has survived must somehow be beneficial to the species it is found in. This is not always true.

Some traits are byproducts of other traits and they survive because the associated trait survives and/or is indispensable. They sometimes survive even despite being harmful and detrimental to the species, because the only way to remove the bad trait is to dump the good ones it is a by product of.

Viruses survive not because they are of benefit to us, but because they have evolved to use attributes of us that we can not do without or are not likely to change. I merely contend Religion does the same.
    most primitive religions have rituals. Dancing is a key feature. You might find examples of aboriginal tribes that dance for hours on end. This communal activity evokes intense emotion, and is important because it focuses on a common experience

A perfect example of what I have been saying! It is refreshing to find my point being made for me.

Dance itself is useful to us. Fun, healthy, promotes bonding, invokes emotion, reduces stress and agression and more.

DANCE has these benefits. Religion therefore, like I am saying, tacks itself on. If you are making a religion the best way to do it is find things that are important to people already and make them part of that religion. You see people that like to dance, and you see the benefit of dance, then you say something like "Dance pleases the 'great sky hippy' and so we will dance for him.

It is not religion promoting these useful things. Religion is identifying the usefulness of associating itself with those things. The beliefs, the rituals, they are all assimilated. They are taken into religion, not brought from it. Therefore as I keep saying all the same things you keep citing as beneficial and "good" are just as attainable, and most likely would have been attained, in the abscence of religion. Religion is superfluous.

It is NOT a religious practice. It is a HUMAN practice that religion co-opts. As I said you are making my points for me.
    religious behavior would have been wiped out because the time and energy devoted to it would, in effect, leave you for dead.

Again not at all. Just like viruses. The time and energy devoted to hosting and reproducing and passing on a virus is detrimental to us. Yet it has not been wiped out either!

Again if you would divest yourself of this highly erroneous notion that all traits have to have evolved and been beneficial to us in order to survive you will stop making such wild errors.

Again many traits are by products of other traits, and themselves can be beneficial OR detrimental and can still survive and be part of our evolution.
    To claim that religion has had no benefit to humanity is a bold claim. The benefit is survival.

Says you, but again you are not showing any ways that it promotes survival at all. You are just talking again and again about the universality of the trait and the fact the trait itself is good at surviving.

Nothing you said is supporting the actual survival advantage of religion to US however. Except your fantasy claims that societies with it have survived better than societies without it…. A claim entirely baseless given there are NO societies without tit to compare against and so your comparison is as sensical as saying societies with 2 arms are better than those with 4 because all societies today have 2.
    Again, Dawkins: "Every universal feature must have a Darwinian explanation."

I am not arguing with that, nor have I. I am simply arguing that Darwinian explanation you are giving is the wrong one. Inventing a bias for me bases on Roman Catholiscism does not change that fact, and is rather an ad hominem. You are moving away from the point and trying to assume a bias on the part of the person making the point is more relevant than what the person is saying.

Another example often given is the behavior of moths to immolate themselves on candle flames. Again this is an example of where asking "What is the evolutionary benefit of this to the Moth? It is a trait that it has evolved with, and it survives, and all moths do it, so there must be some benefit to the moth. What is it?"

Again however the question is 100% the wrong one. You need to invert the question and ask what benefits has the moth evolved with that are causing it as a by product to fly into flames. You then find the answer quite easily. Moths have evolved with the tendency to fly at certain angles in relation to light sources, because in their evolution the only night light source of note was the moon. When they see human flame however and fly at the same angle in relation to this, they are caused to describe a rather pretty mathematical spiral which descends into the flame.

Think of religion as the flame, or the virus. It is not something we (or the moth) have evolved to need, use or benefit from. OTHER things we have evolved with however cause us to be susceptible to by product traits such as religious tendancies, catching and reproducing viruses (which can not reproduce themselves, just like religion, but need US to do it for them) or like the moth flying into fire.

================================================================================================================
    A couple of other corrections taken out of your text which I will correct here as footnotes rather than include them in the main body of my reply:

your assertion that we would have made huge advancements

I suggested it as one possibility. A possibility is not an assertion. Please learn the difference as it would save me correcting you on claiming I said things I did not.
    The "constant" warfare of science and religion is a myth that is circulated as historical fact

Not really, give the two are in many ways in direct conflict. "War" is an emotive word and I use it myself sometimes strategically but sparingly. However that the two are in direct conflict is clear and that conflict is far from myth.
    the correlation of the rise of protestant religions and early experimental science, a view accepted by most scholars

Correlation does not imply causation. I see no causal link between the rise of any religion and the rise of science. People cherry pick correlations all too easily alas.

To begin, I need to make a quick point on dance. In the past I would have agreed that dance is dance, religion tacked itself on, or something to that effect. This is the natural assumption to make, given that we live in a society of structured religious practice. It's very hard to see the connection between dance, musical expression and religion. Our modern religions emphasize creeds and language over rituals and emotional engagement. But language is so powerful that if it had evolved early, it would have dominated religious behavior, so we can see it was a late arrival. This means we have to focus on the importance of dance. That's why music and dance are more linked to our emotions than to the mind's purely cognitive facilities.

But to say simply that one thing is one thing and another thing is a by-product that tacked itself on, doesn't always work. X might be fun in itself, and Y might come about as a result, but the relationship is much more complex. It's the old argument of examining the different parts of an elephant without wondering about what the connection is. It's an evolution. A tentative sequence of events would be:

1. dance
    2. music
    3. proto-religion based on ritual
    4. language
    5. religion based on shared beliefs

It's not simply that one tacked itself on to another, there is a very complex connection between them. Dance is important in relation to religion because of a very important thing that was suppressed long ago: trance. Dance wasn't just a fun activity that they said probably makes the gods happy or some such - it was designed for dialogue between people and gods, not between people. This is why primitive peoples would have ferocious and intoxicating dance rituals, when the person enters the trance state, the belief was they were possessed by a god, or has travelled out of the body to meet such a god, or supernatural agent, whatever you want to call it. It is a shocking sight to imagine, but one that Darwin himself witnessed when he attended an aboriginal rite. The dance had a purpose. It was a ritual. Dance is central to religion.

This had to be suppressed in settled societies as we progressed, and is one thing organised religions had to suppress. Some religions outlaw it completely. Mormons had to bring frenetic dance movements under control at the beginning of their religion. The Catholic Church suppressed it but allowed other expressions of music, which has actually been one of their greatest contributions to culture. As an aside, I wonder if you accept this as a benefit of religion - the pursuit of beautiful music for religious reasons? David, as Leonard Cohen put it, played a sacred chord. I will assume that you believe music is also an accidental by-product of faculties that exist for different purposes, but there are substantial reasons to believe that music is adaptive. It's in every known society, indicating that it's shaped by natural selection. And the faculty of musical perception is acquired very easily, like speaking a language. Why would nature confer these gifts? Group cohesion and sexual selection.

You mentioned some things, namely morality, social cohesion, art, charity and dance and said religion does not benefit them. A dismissive attitude, and one that doesn't work. For the purpose of clarity, I'm focusing mainly on social cohesion - something central to survival. To say that religion doesn't benefit social cohesion is false. This is what I've been proving, and to continue to do so, I will focus on the issue of trust, as social cohesion doesn't work without trust. In a previous post, you quoted me as saying that "religion has enormous costs for those who practice it". This is true, and I'm not sure if you responded to it directly, so I won't say you refuted this point, but I'll instead explain it just in case.

Every religion you can think of has enormous costs of entry. For a religion to survive, it has to be strict, but balanced, it has to accommodate change. I have been fortunate enough to visit an Amish community in Pennsylvania. They are quite amazing. They ban most new technology, but allow telephones in public places. Cars can be hired, but not owned. They have strict dress codes. The religion, surprisingly, is thriving, thanks to a high birth rate (another point of how religion is adaptive - evolution's only yardstick of success) and a high retention rate. Other religions lose their strictness, and their appeal, namely the Episcopal Church and the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church messed up on both counts - they relaxed their rules in 1962 but adhered to hard-line positions on birth control and celibacy of priests, etc.

I'll get to the point. Religious behavior is all about communication. It is a true signal, a way to assess someone's sincerity. Haredi Jews wear thick coats and fur hats. All religions have quirks like this that would make you look crazy - unless it shows you believe in the religion's teachings and are committed to it. Signals exist in the animal world too. It's innate. Remember, religious behavior would have intensified with the evolution of language - which could be used as a way for people to deceive and freeload, the most corrosive thing to social cohesiveness. These signals communicate to coreligionists "you can trust me." This relates to morality, too. Any secular statement can be a lie. But a statement made in a ritual context is presumed true, and often done so on hallowed ground for added emphasis. These days, that's not important. We have courts. So, trust and cooperation and mutual help are invaluable. I don't need to state again that this would be a great help to societies trying to survive against all odds. You might think I'm saying atheists can't be trusted, I'm not. I'm saying religious behavior generated the ties of morality and trust that allowed the community to operate.

And what of religion and economics? Adam Smith described the marketplace as an invisible hand that induced each person, because of self-interest, to serve the common interest. But hands come in pairs. The other hand is trust. Moral self-restraint. I don't for a second believe religion came before morality. But the moral standards of society were secured by religion and the fear of divine retribution.

I can discuss further religion and economics but time is not my friend at the moment. The moth to flame argument, the gullible child argument, and the virus arguments argued by Richard Dawkins, are only arguments, not fact, and arguments based on his implicit premise that religion is bad. To say he is not supported by all biologists would be an understatement. He is not highly confident in these arguments himself, dismissing himself with "the general theory of religion as an accidental by-product is one I wish to advocate." His meme theory has also, for the most part, had its day in the sun. Memes have no physical nature, so we could argue over what exactly it is, where it exists and how it works. His meme theory is his Achilles Heel. He himself sees the weaknesses in his position, without realizing the full implications of these weaknesses. I would be in a valid position to say that his believing in memes is the same as someone else believing in Jesus Christ. Where's the scientific evidence? You can only understand his meme theory when you understand his personal belief system. There are reasons and arguments to be atheist without advocating his theories. For me, his entire work falls down with one quote: ""I haven't done the experiment yet (I'd like to), but I have a strong prediction of what the result will be."

Dawkins' idea of evidence is anything that supports his personal view. It is not science.

For me, I have to continue studying religion, its origins, its impacts, its universality, and its behaviors and the genetic bases for these. The study of religion and genetics has a long way to go.

His ideas, which lack scientific basis, are popular I'll admit. He's sold millions of books, and I enjoy his debates and documentaries. But too many people are accepting his theories as fact, when it is a non-scientific argument. He should not be the bedrock of atheist beliefs. But unfortunately, if I ask an atheist for a scientific argument, I know what they'll say. I haven't done the experiment yet, but I have a strong prediction of what the result will be.

In order to explain this further, I'll take Chuck Stone's example of the tribe in the Amazon, and I'd like to thank him for reference.

Thanks but that wasn't my reference. It was one of the other lads I'm pretty sure. ;)

Thanks but that wasn't my reference. It was one of the other lads I'm pretty sure. ;)

Actually, you're not reading what I really wrote:
    In order to explain this further, I'll take someone's example of the tribe in the Amazon. I really like Chuck Stone.

• Advertisement

Actually, you're not reading what I really wrote:

But...

I'm confuddled!

Advertisement