Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for Athiests and church bashers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Mickeroo wrote: »
    gcgirl wrote: »
    I am a Athiest and I have respect for people who have conviction in what they believe in, al la carts catholics do my head in!

Yea extremist muslim suicide bombers aren't half as annoying :pac:
    extremists are basically mental hospital cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

They raised me to not be brainwashed and to question the existance of an invisible omnipotent man in the skys so I'd find them to be smerter than smart!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think its more a combination of conviction in their beliefs and brainwashing rather than mental illness that drives people to that kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Mickeroo wrote: »

I think its more a combination of conviction in their beliefs and brainwashing rather than mental illness that drives people to that kind of thing.
    I think the other way round!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

no bashing here I like churches. and they'd make for a great gas chamber any given sunday

But seriously do folk really need moral guidance? Damn. Hallelujiah, what a revelation, one shouldn't do that. I've noticed a collapse of moral values since society shunned the church in the wake of certain other revelations, so it seems they need that corrupt evil institution and it's supposed all-seeing eye. CCTV for the dark ages

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Its fairly mainstream christian belief that you deserve to be punished for eternity because of your choice to be atheist. Do you respect that belief?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Some of the most religious people I know are the most educated.

Education and intelligence are not the same thing. The ability to read/listen and regurgitate at exam time is education. The ability to think logically and deeply is intelligence.

We all know some very well educated people that are dumb and some ill educated people that are very bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

I'm an atheist and have been for over 30 years, but the rest of my family are very religious, but it doesn't bother me that they are because everyone has free will and they can believe in what they want as long as it's not rammed down my throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

I am not so sure. If I thought there was a god who had control over my eternal everlasting soul, and that one book... the bible say.... was the key to understanding how to make said god make the choices on the subject of my soul that I wanted it to... I would become pretty extremist too. Nothing else would make sense. Either this book is the key to eternal happiness or it is not. Being blasé or al a carte about said book would make no sense.

Which makes me wonder how many people who say they think there is a god actually do think there is one. If they think there is one and a single book is the key to understanding it and what it wants..... how come hardly any of them ever seem to even read it, let alone study it?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭marty1985

How can I misrepresent you by quoting and replying to exactly what you said?

Don't be mischievous. Because I posted this right afterwards, and this was ages ago, it didn't become a sticking point for you until after your virus argument collapsed:
    As a quick point I would like to say you're right here on the wording. What I wanted to say is that we could not, and would not, have evolved the way we did, without religion it would have been very different, for better or for worse is another question, which we'll never know.

i.e. it has been the most culturally pervasive force on earth. If you think I thought we wouldn't have grown eyebrows without religion or something, then, no, that's not my view, but that would be a more fun debate.
    For an entire species yes. However this claim is entirely false on the level of individuals

Here, you are in contradiction with yourself. The point of religion is to bind, and it conferred evolutionary advantages on those it binded together. They had more children. Evolution's only yardstick of success. Evolutionary biologists suggest that religious belief in supernatural truths and agents evolved in order to combine reproductive motivation with adaptive cooperation strategies.
    At the level of talking to another lay man on the subject you might get away with it, but here I can assure you that you are not talking to such a person

The problem here is that you repeat such pointless statements and present them as scientific fact. This internet warrior stuff, no offence - generalizing, usually doesn't bother me, except that you present yourself as an authority on subjects where you display actual ignorance. Your only tactic is to try to discredit the opposing voice in a "lads, he's like Philologos/Jakkass, don't worry" kind of way. I'm sure you're an evolutionary biologist on the internet, that's OK. The fear I have is that someone might think you've worked it all out, the evolution and origin of religion, and that you can brush aside the careers of anthropologists and evolutionary biologists - who still haven't figured it all out - by presenting your 'facts', and people, albeit looking for self-confirming evidence of their belief, will accept it, unaware that in fact you are wearing no clothes, so to speak. This issue is too important to be decided by propagandists of any persuasion.
    wrong, as is your attempts to suggest religion causes more reproduction.

Do you have any research or data that indicates otherwise? Because the research on this, is already conclusive and convincing. What bothers me is that you've already been made aware of it, but are still in denial.
    You think words exist right? Words are memes. So if you think one exists, you think the other exists and so your error will correct itself again.

The late, great Stephen Jay Gould said "memes are meaningless metaphors", and he was right. For me, it would be useful if it were true, but it requires too much faith because there is zero empirical evidence. I might as well believe in any religious faith as they can offer nice ways to view what we don't understand too.
    My only problem is with unsubstantiated claims.

This again! As I've already pointed out: all these findings are through proper studies and empirical research. In other words, they have substance, and they show how religion was useful. The correlation between religiosity and reproduction is extremely, extremely positive. Secular societies are basically falling below the replacement rate. All the evidence points to the fact that religion is adaptive, not viral. Since you like to use phrases like "unsubstantiated" and "much less from yourself", I'm led to another point. Your argument that religion is bad / a virus is, ironically, one of the most unsubstantiated claims you could possibly make.
    And studying it is intensely important to us as a species for many reasons, including possibly the future survival of our species given religions potential to end it.

I am deeply committed to studying religion. I can guarantee you though, there won't be a Son Of Man Coming On The Clouds Of Heaven style apocalypse. We are well able to do the job ourselves, thank you very much, and we've got some of our brightest minds working on it right now.
    You can invent any bias for me you want if it makes you feel better.

You can't say religion is inherently bad or evil and must be eradicated, and then say you have no bias. Religion is something that needs to be deciphered, not arrogantly repudiated.
    Are you suggesting all atheists are sterile or what? They are having children just as successfully as anyone else. So your comment is not just meaningless, its wrong too.

Are you brushing aside demographers and sociologists too? The worrying thing is, it can be summed up like this: the world is becoming both more religious and less religious at the same time. Conservatism is on the increase in all major religions, because they're having so many children, while liberal and secular values predict lower birthrates. This is all based on empirical evidence. The same evidence that led "memeticist" Sue Blackmore to retract the virus theory. It's refreshing that someone can stand up and say "I've been wrong all these years, thank you for teaching me."

And personally, I don't live in Ireland, or Germany. We can both say more for the trends we see on the ground. You don't wanna know what I'm seeing. Ireland, I'm sorry to say, is nothing. Catholicism is in freefall in Western Europe, according to research, but other forms of Christianity are set to boom. Have you done any research into trends in China? A nation of 1.3 billion which could potentially become the most Christian country on earth. The editors at The Economist, who famously said God Is Dead, wrote a book on this issue called God Is Back. Everyone knows atheism is rising, especially in Western Europe. No offence, but in Ireland, atheism is as cheap as the Catholicism it is replacing. That cheap, state-sponsored religion has no hope, same with the Church of England. Where there is a free market for religion is where they thrive, where they don't rest on the state laurels. Globally, Western Europe is the exception, not the rule, when it comes to religiosity. For further reading, I suggest Shall The Religious Inherit The Earth?: Demography and Politics in the 21st Century, by Eric Kaufmann. It reads like an atheist nightmare though. It's the committed religious populations that matter, as they will be the political heavyweights. Ironically, when one expresses disgust at a la carte Catholics, you have no idea what will replace them. It's a pity that moderation seems to no longer be an option.

Your argument, and the same can be said for the popular new atheist arguments, would hold more weight, more moral integrity, and intellectual honesty, if you could intersperse some of the diatribes against religion with a passing allusion to its attempts to alleviate human suffering, efforts for peace, social justice etc, but maybe you're scared it might be a wound in the ideology. As someone else pointed out, it's sad to think that scarcely was the ink dry on the Dawkins / Hitchens book, when 10,000 Buddhist monks in Burma took a stand due to their religious principles and were beaten, imprisoned and murdered. The same can be said for Tibet, Saigon, Cambodia and other places over the past few decades.

And please, anyone, don't equate religion with the catholic church in Ireland. In attempts to equate all religion with child molestors, countless millions who devoted their lives to the service of others are wiped from history, by people claiming to be crusading against bigotry.

I don't expect to win any friends for these views here on AH. But why should my carefully studied opinion be declared heresy because it does not fit with someone else's worldview? By the way no, I did not mean to suggest you, personally, are sterile! :D

• Advertisement

marty1985 wrote: »
    Don't be mischievous.

How can I be mischievous by quoting and replying to exactly what you said?

You can keep going around in this circle if you like but the facts are the facts. You came on here saying that we "could not" have evolved without religion, I corrected that, you have distanced yourself from the comment now if not actually retracted it. As far as I am concerned we are done.
    until after your virus argument collapsed

I am aware of no such argument, let alone a collapse. My point is not an argument per se but an analogy which allows us to view religion in a different light and throws up some interesting ideas within that light.

The point of the analogy was to correct your error in thinking that something surviving must have some evolutionary advantage to us or it would not have survived. That has been your position and it is a wrong one. Evolution does not demand that an attribute that survives in a species must have some advantage to that species. It can just have an advantage to itself.

And thats what the virus analogy shows. The common cold for instance has survived for as long as we know. What is the advantage of it to us therefore? Nothing. The advantage is to ITSELF. Religion is much like that too.

So again I am aware of nothing "collapsing" except your idea that something that survives well in us must therefore have some advantage to us. There is no such requirement. As soon as you correct that error many of your other errors will self correct too. I therefore recommend once again that you correct it.
    Here, you are in contradiction with yourself.

No. I am not. What I said is entirely correct... that your claim on the level of an entire species is correct, but on the level of individuals or groups of them within a species your comment was... as is much of your knowledge of evolution.... too general, incomplete and not useful.
    The point of religion is to bind

Actually no, religion is as divisive as any other force on the planet. Also I see no reason to think binding is the "point" of religion. There are many other "points" of it such as control over people, attempts to pander to a non existent entity and more.
    it conferred evolutionary advantages on those it binded together. They had more children. Evolution's only yardstick of success.

Again: Simply having "more children" is not de facto an "advantage". You have been corrected on this already, so not sure why you insist on making the same error again. You are clearly not here to listen.

You are simply wrong if you think "more children" is the "yardstick" of success in evolution. It is not. The yard stick of success is having your genes survive into later generations. That can be achieved with one child or 1000 children and there are some species which reproduce once in their life while others do it many many times. Each is just as successful as the other given they all are still here.

If you think mere numbers of off spring is the only measurement of evolutionary success then your knowledge of the subject is as bad as I first thought. Comical then that you come out with a line like this...
    except that you present yourself as an authority on subjects where you display actual ignorance.

..... given how little you know about the subject and how many errors I have found in the claims you have made on it.
    Because the research on this, is already conclusive and convincing.

Cool. Link to some of it then. Actual science papers I mean, not blog posts, news paper articles, or opinion pieces.

The main problem however is not with the correlation between religion and reproduction... it is with your entirely false idea that higher reproduction automatically means "better". Also correlation does not imply causation. It is causation not correlation I would like to see in your links when you present them. If you present them.
    This again!

OF course this again. Given it is the main issue I have in ALL my posts I am not sure why you would be surprised I mention it at times. My issues are with unsubstantiated claims. The idea there is a god is such a claim. Therefore I have an issue with it. Whats wrong with that exactly?
    religion is adaptive, not viral.

Huh? Viruses ARE adaptive too. That IS one of the points of my analogy so you are now making my points for me, thanks :) One of the advantages of looking at Religion as analogous to viruses is to realise that they too (religions) evolve. They are there, they get reproduced by us just like viruses do, they undergo mutation and modification, and those that are better at getting us to reproduce them survive into later generations while others die.

Thats the whole point! Thanks for making it for me. Religions, like viruses, use us to reproduce themselves. Religions, like viruses, mutate and evolve to get better at making us reproduce them and surviving!! Now you are getting it!
    Your argument that religion is bad / a virus is, ironically, one of the most unsubstantiated claims you could possibly make.

Not at all. As I said my definition of "bad" varies with context however the context which fits religion is anything that does not do any good... or at least not any good that could not be done just as well without it.... and meanwhile it does at least one harmful thing.

Religion does not do any good that I know of in present day life..... it certainly does not do any that are not just as attainable without it... and I can list many bad things about it. Therefore it fits by definition of "bad" perfectly does it not?

You have not shown one good thing about religion. You have instead listed all the good things that religion has successfully managed to assimilate or associate itself with and have made the error in thinking religion gives us those things, rather than the fact we take those things to religion and give it the credit all too easily.
    You can't say religion is inherently bad or evil and must be eradicated, and then say you have no bias.

Coming to a conclusion based on arguments and evidence and coming to a conclusion based on being biased emotionally against something are too different things. My issue with religion is the former so deal with that. If you want to pretend it is the latter then you are engaged in 1) Making things up about me to avoid the things I actually say and 2) Talking at me rather than with me. Deal with what I have said, not what you have imagined me saying or feeling.
    It's refreshing that someone can stand up and say "I've been wrong all these years, thank you for teaching me."

It is indeed. However the reasons she gave for being wrong are bad ones and I explained why already. I am happy to do so again.
    And please, anyone, don't equate religion with the catholic church in Ireland.

Nor have I done any such thing.
    But why should my carefully studied opinion be declared heresy because it does not fit with someone else's worldview?

I did not declare anything heresy. Your "carefully studied" opinion... especially with regards evolutionary science... is "wrong" not "heresy". That is all I have said so stop dressing it up in words like "heresy". Wrong is bad enough, I do not need other words to describe it.

I repeat, and will gladly keep repeating, that you have made here two massive errors in evolutionary thinking and you have no substantiation for either of them and would do very well to correct them. To summarise them again they are:

1) The idea that a higher number of off spring automatically equates with "better" or "more successful" is just plain wrong.

2) The idea that all attributes or characteristics of a species that have survived a long time must therefore have some benefit to the species is also just plain wrong.

Many of the other errors and tosh you speak in your posts would be corrected in a domino effect if those two errors were corrected in your knowledge of the subject of evolution. However you seem more interested in calling me "ignorant" on the subject than actually correcting those errors.

It's Saturday night, 11.30pm here. I don't see anything new to address. I can return to this tomorrow, but for now...
    The common cold for instance has survived for as long as we know. What is the advantage of it to us therefore? Nothing. The advantage is to ITSELF. Religion is much like that too.

Great! Except religious people have more children and have higher success at getting their genes into the next generation. An advantage to us.
    No. I am not. What I said is entirely correct... that your claim on the level of an entire species is correct, but on the level of individuals or groups of them within a species your comment was... as is much of your knowledge of evolution.... too general, incomplete and not useful.

Thank you for conceding the point on the entire species. But you're an individual, that's fine. Like I said, religion conferred evolutionary advantages on those it binded together. They had more children. That's a benefit in evolutionary terms. The fact that you can be reduced to arguing otherwise is telling.
    Also I see no reason to think binding is the "point" of religion.

Except this is a modern acceptance of the meaning of the word itself.
    Modern scholars such as Tom Harpur and Joseph Campbell favor the derivation from ligare "bind, connect", probably from a prefixed re-ligare, i.e. re (again) + ligare or "to reconnect," which was made prominent by St. Augustine
    Also correlation does not imply causation.

One other thing I noticed in all the studies of evolutionary biologists studying religion: when they showed all the data of reproduction rates among religious communities and secular communities, not only did the religious ones constantly have higher birthrates, but the ones giving birth were always women. Not men. Now you'd be right in pointing out simply being a woman does not cause you to have children. But the correlation is still extremely positive.

Ironically, when you go off on the religions viruses thing again, you are presenting it as fact. Even though this theory has been completely debunked and is not taken seriously anymore - just purported as fact on the "internet". This is what I don't like. Again you contradict yourself. Presenting something unsubstantiated as fact. You don't know religion is a virus because you already stated it was just a useful analogy but now you're still doing it. So, some guy will read that and think you're right, unaware of the damage done to science when crap like that is pulled. You can have all the faith in that theory you want, but don't present it as fact, even after the champions of the theory have abandoned it. I suggest you read Michael Blume, all his science papers are available to view online. There is a wealth of papers from evolutionary biologists about this, also David Sloan Wilson, who balk at the virus analogy. Most were quite upset too that Dawkins would pen a book on religion and not devote any time to the evolutionary study of religion. He works just like you, presents 'facts' and gives fun analogies, such as quotes by comedians, to prove his points. It's really debasing science.
    Therefore it fits by definition of "bad" perfectly does it not?

No it doesn't, unless you approach the subject in an intellectually honest manner.
    1) The idea that a higher number of off spring automatically equates with "better" or "more successful" is just plain wrong.

It's better than falling below the replacement rate!
    2) The idea that all attributes or characteristics of a species that have survived a long time must therefore have some benefit to the species is also just plain wrong.

I said it has a Darwinian explanation. In this, even Richard Dawkins and I think Dan Dennett agrees, and in that it must have had evolutionary advantages, and obviously it did. I'm aware of the spandrel theories etc. I just agree with the evolutionary biologists on this one.

Since you are going back to the virus theory, I just want to point out it flies in the face of empirical evidence. Because it's important, I will stress again that this virus theory is a failed metaphor, and was recognised as such by Sue Blackmore, who was a champion of the theory because all the data discredits the virus theory. I have too much respect for her than to think you are her superior, chastising her for giving in to empirical evidence. Her words: "This is how science (unlike religion) works: in the end it's the data that counts. Being shown you are wrong is horrid."

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

My belief is that they were misinformed and surrounded by people who told them to believe. Lots of older people have told me how when they were young they were regularly told they would go to hell if they did certain things, and since everyone said it they believed it. Not their fault.
    Same as a the fact most religious nuts are going to come from a family of religious nuts.

I don't see anything new to address.

OF course not. If you insist on making the same errors over and over, and refusing to back them up over and over, then I will continue to correct them over and over. So I would not expect anything "new" any time soon until you break the dead lock by either correcting your errors, or providing substantiation for the counter positions to my own instead of just wantonly repeating the errors as often as you can.
    Great! Except religious people have more children and have higher success at getting their genes into the next generation. An advantage to us.

You insist on making the same error again. What is it about you ignoring everything I have said. Having more children is not automatically equivalent to having a higher success rate in evolutionary terms. It just isnt. So you are entirely wrong.

Also you have not provided any links to data that they ARE having more children, so not only is your point wrong but it is not substantiated as yet. Show me the science papers (not blogs or news paper articles) that establish this as a causation and link them... not just correlation. As far as I know the only reason to think they are having more children is that there is more OF them. I have seen nothing to link religion with individual families having more children, except of course for things like Catholic phobia about birth controls.
    Thank you for conceding the point on the entire species.

It is impossible for us to disagree on absolutely everything. There are bound to be things we agree on. If finding one of those things constitutes a "concession" in your head then you are more eager to win some pissing contest or other than I expected.

Your statement is as I said essentially correct but over simplistic and almost useless. Of course if an entire species does not reproduce then its not good. However that is just a species wide comment and says nothing about reproduction within species. For example many species do perfectly well by having whole sections of it not reproduce at all. This does not stop the genes of those non reproducing elements getting into the next generation however. Remember you do not have to reproduce yourself in order to have elements of your genes succeed into the next generation. Acting in a way as to support the healthy reproduction of your siblings is another evolutionary valid way to do so. This is, for example, one reason why one would not expect homosexuality to be bred out of us.
    They had more children. That's a benefit in evolutionary terms. The fact that you can be reduced to arguing otherwise is telling.

The fact that you keep making the same error over and over is what is telling. Having "more children" is not de facto an evolutionary advantage in every case. I am not sure why you insist on thinking it is. "More children" and "advantageous" are not synonymous. Why do you think they are? What evolutionary biologist or paper have you read that makes you think so?
    One other thing I noticed in all the studies ....

Studies you still have not cited?
    the ones giving birth were always women. Not men.

Do I need to explain why? Is your knowledge of biology THAT bad? I knew it was bad, but this is just you being purposely facetious now. Showing one correlation does not lend credence to another in an entirely different area of discourse. Either there are links you have to studies establishing a causal link between religion and more children... or there is not. Pointless comments about correlations between having babies and being female are just cop out and run tactics to cover the fact you are not giving the links.

Do you really think you can avoid giving evidence by making intentionally stupid comments?
    I said it has a Darwinian explanation.

I know. And I agreed with that. As I said before, and you insist on going in circles on it... I agree it has a darwinian explanation. It just does not have the one you want to assign to it... that it must have some advantage to us.

You seem to think that saying it has a "darwinian explanation" is the same as saying it must have an "evolutionary advantage". It does. But to itself, not to US. That is your error which you refuse to correct.

You have not shown a single "evolutionary advantage" to us. You just keep saying it must have one because it has continued to exist. As I pointed out there are many examples, and not just of viruses, where things continue to exist despite not having an evolutionary advantage to the species that exhibits it.

You simply are wrong to think that an attribute or characteristic must always have some advantage to the species that exhibits it if it continues to be propagated.

And you are simply wrong to think that saying X has a "Darwinian explanation" is the same as saying it must provide us some advantage. You want to use the two inter changeably but this is wrong.

I am happy to keep pointing out these errors as long as you are happy to keep making them, just in case you think stoically repeating them over and over again is going to make me get bored and wander off.

In summary:

1) I want links to studies showing a causal link between religion and higher reproduction rates, not just cop out throw away comments on the correlation between having off spring and being female.

2) I want links to the studies showing that current evolutionary thought thinks more off spring automatically equates with being "better" in evolutionary standards.

3) I want links to the studies showing that current evolutionary thought thinks that any trait that has successfully been propogated in a species must always therefore provide some benefit to that species.

I think you will find, especially in the case of 2 and 3, that you will be unable to substantiated your position in these regards given your position is entirely wrong. I understand why the layman thinks that more children is always better and why every characteristic that has been successful must therefore be advantageous.... but what I can not understand is why a layman would continue to think so when you have been corrected so frequently on it. You will find studies such as those that were done on populations in the 19th century which found that people who had fewer children ended up having more grandchildren than those who themselves had many children. Evolutionary success is not measured in the number of off spring as you seem to think, but on any method for longevity of your genes. There is no use pumping out 100 children yourself if they do not continue to be successful. If having one off spring leads to your genes lasting more generations than a person who has 10 then having 1 off spring is the evolutionary successful route.

So no, off spring numbers is not the "only yardstick" for evolutionary success as you falsely claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Downlinz wrote: »
    If you believe the church is corrupt + power hungry and that god isn't real.

What does that say about your judgment on the intelligence of your parents, grandparents and other relatives who more than likely devoted so much of their lives to these causes? As a huge part of our society wouldn't it imply you believed they were gullible and naive people to live the way they did? Perhaps weak-willed to stand out from the crowd and question accepted truths?

(p.s. I am an athiest and pondering this question myself. Not looking to start some sort of shame parade or anything)

It says nothing of their intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Downlinz wrote: »
    If you believe the church is corrupt + power hungry and that god isn't real.

What does that say about your judgment on the intelligence of your parents, grandparents and other relatives who more than likely devoted so much of their lives to these causes? As a huge part of our society wouldn't it imply you believed they were gullible and naive people to live the way they did? Perhaps weak-willed to stand out from the crowd and question accepted truths?

(p.s. I am an athiest and pondering this question myself. Not looking to start some sort of shame parade or anything)

I love atheists

I don't particularly see anything wrong with anyone having other views. When I decided to be an atheist I did so in my teens. I never evangelised my new faith as a matter I never gave a flying spagetti monster what anyone believed.

Atheism these days with its popular and cool celebrity evangelists give the new cult religion of atheism a bad name, so much so, I now when asked which seems more these days say I am an unbeliever.

One thing about humanity religion is normal and a big part of our make up, so when the deities are gone religion will manifest its way in other forms. These days that is probably celebrity culture with consumerism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Your only tactic is to try to discredit the opposing voice in a "lads, he's like Philologos/Jakkass, don't worry" kind of way. :D

I'm not sure whether or not whipping up a sense of notoriety about other posters really works :)

philologos wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether or not whipping up a sense of notoriety about other posters really works :)

I am not so sure. Given, for example, your choice to evangelise all over the forum, from the atheism one to this one to the Lesbian/Gay one, I find it very useful to mention exactly how you have not presented evidence for the claims you make, how you run away and ignore (and even pretend to have the users on ignore when you actually do not) the people who show why your position is false, and even engage in telling lies about the people who disagree with you and pretending they said things they never did.

So no, I find it very useful to show people exactly what they are dealing with in a person like yourself and the posts you make such as replying to me and PMing me shortly after saying I was on ignore.... help me in doing that more than if I had access to your account and was let write your posts myself.

I mean, come on, seriously. Telling all and sundry that you have me on "ignore" but then replying to one of my posts and PMing me expecting replies. How do you expect to retain a modicum of credibility when you wantonly display that your own words are false?
    4leto wrote: »
    I don't particularly see anything wrong with anyone having other views

Nor do most atheists so I would be very careful on going down that road of reasoning as that way straw men lie and you would not like to be accused of erecting those.

The problem most of us have..... whether we identify with the word atheist or not (FYI I am actually with you on this and I rarely, if ever, use that word to identify or describe myself)..... is not with people having other views or ideas.

No what most of us have issue with is people coming into our halls of power, education and science with entirely unsubstantiated views and ideas. I have yet to have anyone inform me why having an issue with that is a bad thing however.

You may have an issue with some of the spokespeople of atheism at the moment, but that neither makes atheism a bad thing, nor makes it a "cult" or a "religion" as you tried to say. At least someone is out there speaking against bad ideas. Someone has to do it. If you have an issue with the people that are doing it, then go do it better yourself would be the wisest course of action.

Sorry for the delay, had quite a busy week.

Whether or not religion is adaptive, we don't know. I find the case that it is a lot more convincing because it helps survival and reproductive success. Cases can be made for religion being adaptive can be made as a group-level adaptation (E.O. Wilson, D.S. Wilson), individual level adaptation (Alexander) or a parasite (Dawkins, Blackmore - who appears to have abandoned this). All of these fine to discuss and each has some merit, but where I disapprove of your method is choosing one and presenting it as fact. It's disheartening because there are a lot of people around who only look for self-affirming evidence. Presenting one hypothesis as fact, and being outraged at anyone who supports another hypothesis, I don't agree with.

One can make a lot of assumptions, whether it's religion is a delusion, or has had no benefits etc. But these are as unsubstantiated positions as any other. You can't claim to be crusading against unsubstantiated claims while presenting your own. We can all have pet theories of religion, and what we should see the difference between armchair theorizing, which is fine, and broadcasting it over the internet as fact, which is as dangerous as it is dishonest, given that so many people are only looking for self-affirming evidence. That's the only thing that is bugging me.

We can have assumptions but we have to be prepared to ditch them based on new evidence, eg. Blackmore. And we absolutely should not promote any theory based on assumptions not yet backed up by evidence as if it were a “scientific truth”. For example, we should not use an “observation” from a comedian instead of some measured data, right?

The point of religion is to bind. The word itself derives from the Latin "religio" which means "to bind". Anything that binds one group is often separating itself from another, sadly. But what I've been focusing on is the benefits of religion to those that it binded, more so than on the benefits to the individual, and there is evidence that it benefits the individual too. It's no wonder you can't see the utility of religion and the benefits it confers on those it binds or unites into a group unless you look at the bigger picture.

I mentioned earlier the advantages of having supernatural agents acting as a kind of invisible government. Evolutionary biologist Dominic Johnson from the University of Edinburgh presents this same view. Johnson reasons that this would have encouraged individuals in groups to conform to group sanctions out of the fear of divine punishment, thus lessening the chances of social fission. This phenomenon would have been biologically adaptive since larger groups meant better chances of survival and reproductive success for individual members. We already discussed the costs of entry into a religion. I have said already that it is an exchange, of costs and benefits. Anthropologist Richard Sosis puts forward this theory too. The gist is that people engage in all sorts of costly religious behaviors—wasting time on rituals, wearing uncomfortable clothes, spending their hard-earned money—because, in doing so, they are advertising their commitment to the religious in-group. In doing so, they are saying you can trust me. This eliminates the threat of freeriders, who are devastating to any group.

Iannaccone argues that strict faiths can generate higher levels of cooperation and mutual help than lax ones because the practices of strict churches are too costly for cheaters to fake. The net adaptive benefits of a religion may fall below zero in extreme cases, but generally people enter into this type of "exchange" because they're receiving a superior "product", and have stronger ties that bind. They get the advantages-internal cohesion and higher morale in warfare, for example-that would lead to more surviving children, which indicates religious behaviour would be favored by natural selection.

As for the data relating to higher reproductivity rates, this evidence is not altogether new. Consider this review of Dawkins' book (2005/6?) by The New York Times:
    He is also hasty in dismissing the practical benefits of religion. Surveys have shown that religious people live longer (probably because they have healthier lifestyles) and feel happier (perhaps owing to the social support they get from church). Judging from birthrate patterns in the United States and Europe, they also seem to be outbreeding secular types, a definite Darwinian advantage.

As for some measured data, the studies by Michael Blume are all available online. His work was very comprehensive and is very valuable. The data was taken from a study of 82 countries, which encompasses all sorts of different situations and all different religious affiliations, including people of no religion. The rates of reproduction were virtually a constant, averaging 2.5 for the religious groups, and 1.7 for non-religious, which is below replacement rate. We cannot ignore this type of data.

Higher reproductive success is a critical parameter of existence, especially among primitive societies, and religion was, and appears to be still, a potent means of regulating fertility. Religion almost always aims to increase fertility. High birth rates lead to survival and dominance over other groups, it's an acute demographic threat that makes them less vulnerable to attack. Jews and Christians were instructed to be biologically successful by their sacred text. From an evolutionary perspective, the gods' preoccupation with sex makes perfect sense.

For example, most if not all religions regulate marriage, which confers obvious survival advantages. The woman has a better chance of raising infants to adulthood if she has a man to protect them and provide for them. It is the most necessary institution for a society keen on reproducing itself. It's hard to establish cause and effect and the exact demographic impact, but religious policies affecting fertility seem too often aligned with a community's requirements to be mere chance.
    Show me the science papers (not blogs or news paper articles) that establish this as a causation
    I want links to studies showing a causal link between religion and higher reproduction rates

I know the difference between causation and correlation. Those little summaries at the end are very useful for people as a "tl;dr", but I never said causation did I? I said the correlation was extremely, extremely positive. Causation may never be established. Clutching on to this in the face of such important data is not helpful, when the data is so valuable. I believe Blackmore understood this, and accepted it. As I said, religious policies affecting fertility seem too often aligned with a community's requirements to be mere chance.
    Having more children is not automatically equivalent to having a higher success rate in evolutionary terms. It just isnt. So you are entirely wrong.

automatically, equivalent

I am sure I never said automatically equivalent either. I believe religion could very well be adaptive, and a lot of evidence supports this view. Natural selection is the only mechanism that consistently leads to adaptive evolution, and the only thing natural selection cares about is leaving more progeny. This is from Nicholas Wade:
    Natural selection, the motive force of evolution, is about survival and who leaves more children. Many of the social aspects of religious behaviour offer advantages-such as a group's strong internal cohesion and high morale in warfare-that would lead to a society's members having more surviving children, and religion for such reasons would be favoured by natural selection. This is less true of the personal aspects of religion. Personal beliefs seem unlikely to enable them to have more surviving offspring, natural selection's only yardstick of success. Rather the personal rewards of religion are significant because they draw people to practice it, without which the social benefits could not have been favoured by natural selection.
    Having "more children" is not de facto an evolutionary advantage in every case. I am not sure why you insist on thinking it is.

I never said it was de facto an advantage in every case. I'm saying better reproductive success is an evolutionary advantage. No more, no less. Even the New York Times referred to it as a definite Darwinian advantage.

Again, I'm not saying any of this has anything to do with the truth of any religion. Most, if not all, of the evolutionary biologists I've read were atheists. But they all accept that it is very likely that religion had some evolutionary advantages. Even Dawkins, although he just happened to leave out a chapter on the evolutionary origins of religion from his book. The only reason I mention this is because it's probably the main reason why a lot of the atheists on this board are unfamiliar with the theories involved.
    I agree that it is also interesting to ask whether religion has some kind of Darwinian survival value. But whatever the answer to that might turn out to be, it will make no difference to the central question of whether God exists. Religious belief might have a positive survival value and God might or might not exist.

So I agree with him fully.

Links on studies of religion and reproductive benefits and such:

http://www.blume-religionswissenschaft.de/english/pdf/ReproductiveBenefitsReligiosityBlume2007.pdf

http://www.blume-religionswissenschaft.de/english/pdf/blume2006.pdf

http://www.blume-religionswissenschaft.de/pdf/ReproductiveReligiosityBlume2009.pdf

http://www.sneps.net/RD/uploads/1-Shall%20the%20Religious%20Inherit%20the%20Earth.pdf

http://www.sneps.net/RD/uploads/1-Islamismfertilitypaper.pdf

http://www.econstor.eu/handle/10419/20687

http://www.oeaw.ac.at/vid/download/WP2008_04.pdf

And some on the question of whether or not religion is adaptive for anyone interested:

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/content/1/c6/04/31/38/ER3BoyerBergstromAnnualReview2009.pdf

http://www.des.ucdavis.edu/faculty/Richerson/RichersonNewsonReligionAdaptive.pdf

http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/11/2/2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

You may have an issue with some of the spokespeople of atheism at the moment, but that neither makes atheism a bad thing, nor makes it a "cult" or a "religion" as you tried to say. At least someone is out there speaking against bad ideas. Someone has to do it. If you have an issue with the people that are doing it, then go do it better yourself would be the wisest course of action.

lol, Atheism doesn't have spokespeople...it's not a club or corporation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

lol, Atheism doesn't have spokespeople...it's not a club or corporation.

One Michael Nugent clearly likes to think of himself as a spokesperson for such people, having set up an organisation named Atheist Ireland to lobby on behalf of atheists.

Nugent hasn't exactly a record of being radical, having been over an organisation (New Consensus) which was funded by the British government for years to oppose republican violence and ignore all other violence. Talk about being in the pay of the establishment.

But then again there are so many "atheists" now I can only wonder is atheism the new conservatism. It's certainly not radical à la Peadar O'Donnell in 1930s Ireland. Irish culture produces very, very few genuine radicals and far, far too many people who follow the crowd and the latest fashion, be it post-Famine Roman Catholicism and cultural Anglicisation or the Celtic Tiger property boom or Atheism today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Dionysus wrote: »
    Irish culture produces very, very few genuine radicals and far, far too many people who follow the crowd and the latest fashion, be it post-Famine Roman Catholicism and cultural Anglicisation or the Celtic Tiger property boom or Atheism today.
    You're probably not wrong about the dearth of radical Irish thought, but I'm sure you'd be the first to acknowledge that a belief can be both widespread and correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

But then again there are so many "atheists" now I can only wonder is atheism the new conservatism.

For some it's just the new way of showing that they are smart. It's not something they really think about and they most assuredly never discuss the issue, let alone play Devil's Advocate to road test their own opinions.

It's a lazy way of saying "I'm clever", like quoting Kafka on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Personally, religion doesn't factor in to my judgment of a person unless they are evangelical fanatics or the like. I can honestly say I don't even know what many of my friends' religious views are because I just don't talk about it. Ignoring religion altogether is better than advocating atheism, thats actually what Marx believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

You're probably not wrong about the dearth of radical Irish thought, but I'm sure you'd be the first to acknowledge that a belief can be both widespread and correct.

It can, but the more I know the more I cannot be sure of things. I reject the certainty of religious belief and atheist belief with equal measure. I don't know what's out there, if anything is, and I think it would be a waste to concern myself with thinking about something I could never be certain of.

Religion means a great deal to many people. I respect that. Religion means nothing to many people. I respect that. I don't respect when either of them like to claim a monopoly on "the truth" and proceed to look down on people who don't share their certainty.

Nor do most atheists so I would be very careful on going down that road of reasoning as that way straw men lie and you would not like to be accused of erecting those.

The problem most of us have..... whether we identify with the word atheist or not (FYI I am actually with you on this and I rarely, if ever, use that word to identify or describe myself)..... is not with people having other views or ideas.

No what most of us have issue with is people coming into our halls of power, education and science with entirely unsubstantiated views and ideas. I have yet to have anyone inform me why having an issue with that is a bad thing however.

I have an issue with what I see is a the modern cult, an atheist cult. Its evangelists do promote it, as if it will lead to a better more rational scientific humanist world of no religious wars or creedism, which is rubbish.

I am yet to be convinced that religion has been a major factor in wars. Most, if not all wars are based on Kin or nationalism and resources, very seldom wholly religious

And you don't have to go to far back in history to see what happens in a promoted or imposed Atheist state. What you got was Stalin, Mao who became semi deities.

Also I hesitate to call it an atheist based doctrine, but in a way Nazism was the party became the religion, but it was definitely scientific based ideology, a bogus science, of race and genetics. In the three examples I gave what you got was the worse horrors in history.

Although I am an unbeliever I would not evangelise my views. But they are based on what I believe which is simple and cold. When I die it is the end of the world. There is nothing immortal about me, no legacy, no nothing, life is truly pointless for everyone and I don't have a problem with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

It can, but the more I know the more I cannot be sure of things. I reject the certainty of religious belief and atheist belief with equal measure. I don't know what's out there, if anything is, and I think it would be a waste to concern myself with thinking about something I could never be certain of.

Religion means a great deal to many people. I respect that. Religion means nothing to many people. I respect that. I don't respect when either of them like to claim a monopoly on "the truth" and proceed to look down on people who don't share their certainty.

What is atheist belief?

Ans as for certainty and the truth, is the idea that there's no tooth fairy some kind of arrogant assumption? Do you reject that the certainty of the statement that there is no tooth fairy?

Someone said earlier that religion is natural for humans. This is a myth. It arose naturally as an attempt to explain things we didn't understand, and to give people a list of morals to adhere to in an effort to build and maintain civilization. It is only because religion is still treated as a natural and meaningful thing that it is treated any differently from any other unfounded claim. That and that because many people believe the things said in various religions are literally true. No religion seems to be able to take a firm stand on the issue so literal belief seems to be on the rise. It's making for some interesting times that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gargleblaster

Also I hesitate to call it an atheist based doctrine in a way Nazism was, but it was definitely scientific based ideology a bogus science of race and genetics and in the three examples I gave you got the worse horrors in history.

:confused:

http://local1488.com/images/flag-gottmituns.gif

Not in the official sense with comparison to the way that communism banned religion.

But Communist Russia never use religion in their symbolism but Nazism did as in the example you pointed out. But the NAZI party became a way of life and Hitler was regarded as semi divine or even wholly divine deity. Also they never used religion in their ceremony the ceremony was all about the state.

Also German Nazism never oppressed the Christian European religions, they did oppress the jewish religion but that was more about race then religion.

So again I hesitatingly call Nazism a wholly atheist ideology but it did have similarities. I just give it as an example of what a scientific doctrine can lead to. And admittingly a very bogus false science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Not in the official sense with comparison to the way that communism banned religion.

But Communist Russia never use religion in their symbolism but Nazism did as in the example you pointed out. But the NAZI party became a way of life and Hitler was regarded as semi divine or even wholly divine deity. Also they never used religion in their ceremony the ceremony was all about the state.

Also German Nazism never oppressed the Christian European religions, they did oppress the jewish religion but that was more about race then religion.

So again I hesitatingly call Nazism a wholly atheist ideology but it did have similarities. I just give it as an example of what a scientific doctrine can lead to. And admittingly a very bogus false science.

Irreligious is not the same as atheist. Just because the Nazi party didn't promote a religion does not make them atheists. Its like saying that all Irish political parties are atheist because they don't promote a religion and don't bring religion into politics.

Advertisement