Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carry-On Bags + Soldering Iron...

Options
  • 25-07-2011 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm traveling to DUB-LHR on Tuesday (back on Wednesday). As a result, I'm only bringing a carry-on back and have no checked baggage.

In London, I'll be collecting a soldering iron (this one: http://www.maplin.co.uk/60w-lcd-display-solder-station-218050). My concern is what security in LHR will make of this and / if it will cause problems for me. Obviously, it'll be an all-or-nothing affair so I thought I'd see if people have any opinions or experiences with this.

My last resort will be to check a bag on the return flight or to post the whole station back, but if I can avoid it confidently then I'd rather do that.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I'd start by asking the airline you're flying with what they think about it.

They'd be in the best position to advise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Can't see it being a problem its the same as any other mains electrical/electronic appliance. If they allow you bring a hair dryer can't see why they would have an issue with this. It may get a little more scrutiny as its not a normal item, but can't see them having an issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The iron itself may be a problem? does it look like it could be used as a weapon?

Maybe you could post the iron seperately?

As a previous poster has suggested ring the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

An airline call centre staff wouldn't have a clue on what a soldering iron is most likely. And it's the security staff in Dublin airport who would make the call on what is safe to bring on a plane or not, in reality. Call them perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

An airline call centre staff wouldn't have a clue on what a soldering iron is most likely. And it's the security staff in Dublin airport who would make the call on what is safe to bring on a plane or not, in reality. Call them perhaps?

It wont have much to do with dublin airport security when you are bringing the item back from england. In dublin you are already off the flight. A soldering iron could be a potential stabbing weapon, so they might take it off you on those grounds.

Posting the iron itself seperate would seem a good idea that was mentioned earlier. The other part of the item should be ok. Or else into the cargo hold. But that would be far more expensive than posting it probably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

or you could buy it (or get it bought for you) in Maplins Belfast.

:D Not a laughing matter but I can see it now: Passenger to Cabin crew member: "Can I plug-in this soldering iron so that I can de-solder the cabin door and take over the plane?" :rolleyes:

wait4me wrote: »
    or you could buy it (or get it bought for you) in Maplins Belfast.

:D Not a laughing matter but I can see it now: Passenger to Cabin crew member: "Can I plug-in this soldering iron so that I can de-solder the cabin door and take over the plane?" :rolleyes:

I had a nail clippers taken in paris cdg. Just in case i threatened the pilot with clipping his toenails no doubt:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

@Wetdaddy here is a true story that happened before all the 9-11 shyte:

I got an urgent call to go to the UK to fix a machine. I arrived at DUB with literally a tool roll (usual stuff, incl soldering iron) and a toothbrush, all carry-on.

Got that uh-uh feeling when the X-ray conveyor stopped, then reversed, then hushed voices, then a security lad opened my tool roll and on picking up a screwdriver, said to me "Ya can't take this stuff on board".

The woman behind me and her pals on a hen party, being held up, shouted to the security guy "What'ya think he's gonna do, take the f***ing plane apart?"

:D:D Some comments are just priceless :D

I had to go back and check my stuff in as baggage (FOC at that time). That's what you've gotta do here, although it'll cost you 10 20 25 30 or whatever it is today.

If you are gonna risk it as carry on, de-weaponise it: remove the tip. I got a metal detector thru' last year OK, I just told the scanner guy what it was before he saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

robbie7730 wrote: »
    It wont have much to do with dublin airport security when you are bringing the item back from england. In dublin you are already off the flight. A soldering iron could be a potential stabbing weapon, so they might take it off you on those grounds.

Posting the iron itself seperate would seem a good idea that was mentioned earlier. The other part of the item should be ok. Or else into the cargo hold. But that would be far more expensive than posting it probably.
    Right you are, for some reason I read it that he was bringing the soldering iron from Dublin to London!

Right you are, for some reason I read it that he was bringing the soldering iron from Dublin to London!

I had to re-read it myself, very easy to mis-read posts here, im always at it:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement