Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creeping plants

Options
  • 25-07-2011 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    i want to grow some type of creeping plant like Ivy or something that flowers up along the front part of my house. I had noticed Ivy starting to grow very low down but it would take ages to grow up where I want it.
    Anyway would I need to put something onto the wall for it to cling onto?
    also would I need much soil on the ground or could it be grown from large pots?
    Any recommendations for this like what to plant etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would not encourage ivy to grow on the front of your house, and if it is starting to grow it will go up at an alarming rate once it gets started.

You are not likely to have much success with things in tubs, except maybe summer things like sweet peas. You could grow Virginia Creeper, though it is not evergreen. While it is very attractive in leaf, and does not need any support, it can leave scars on the house from the little 'suckers' that attach.

You need to look at the direction your house faces - how much sun does it get, and how near can you plant - is there concrete in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I wouldn't recommend ivy for the wall of a house; it can force its way into cracks and widen them, damaging the wall.

Your best bet might be to attach a trellis to the wall and train an evergreen clematis up it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Redwood77

In our climate it will be very difficult to grow a creeper with flowers and that is evergreen. If it is south facing Passionflower is beautiful. (Not suitable if in a frost pocket. http://www.passionflow.co.uk/common-passion-flower-passiflora-caerulea.htm[/URL]
    Other appropriate options include Clematis, Honeysuckle or Jasmin. Winter jasmin would really add something to the garden in the depths of winter. (again not suitable for midlands frost!)

Avoid leaving the naturally occurring ivy! They are extremely vigorous and free seeding. If left any length, the roots will be impossible to remove and you will have an invasive ivy causing you problems for ever.
    If you do want an ivy, try one of the many variegated options available from any garden center. Nice to look at, slower growing and don't invade.

Advertisement