Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Choose a Student Current Account

Options
  • 25-07-2011 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Hey all!

I've just been offered a job today :) I need to hand in bank details to the place, so I need to get my current account in order! I have an old account in a Bank of Ireland from another branch when I was younger. I was looking at updating my account - then I decided to look around to see what others are offering!

My main problem is I don't know what common pitfalls to look over. I never did Business subjects in school so I don't really understand a lot of the lingo. I'm not going to be swayed by offers or whatever for students anyway :pac:

My needs are:
    • My employers paying into my account once per month
    • Collecting money from an ATM
    • As little fees/charges as possible, obviously!!
    • Easy transfer of money between me/my parents (who have a BoI account)

I could be commuting to college this year so the money transfer might not be so important... but I'm guessing there's a minimum amount of time I must hold the account for?

If anyone has any advice for me I'd be really grateful!

That's it really! What should I look out for when I'm pricing them?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

AFAIK all the banks offer free banking to students providing you're in full time education. BOI definitely do. At this time of year there are often offers to entice students to open accounts, things like phone credit, flights etc so you could look into those.

Once you have internet banking you'll be able to transfer money to your parents if you set them up as a beneficiary and to the best of my knowledge all the banks offer this without a waiting period.

Here's a few links to info on student accounts from the various banks:

Bank of Ireland
    AIB
    Permanent TSB
    Ulster Bank

Advertisement