Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German in UL

Options
  • 25-07-2011 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if while studying in UL its possible to study a language for free as well?

I was on Erasmus and noticed that the colleges do offer this in europe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I think the thing about erasmus though is that your basically free to choose what you want (even though you should pick courses in your field of studies).

I know universities like UCD offer a programme where they let you choose one module outside your course just to broaden your knowledge.

Sadly I don't know of any way of studying it in UL without it being part of your course.

But the languages building is open to all and we have the LRA who offer help (though this might be only open to people who study a language).
    I recommend you go to the language resource centre on the 1st (or 2nd can't remember) and look around, they have movies, books etc for you to view there and its extremely helpful!.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

cheers! i have to learn german to impress the german girlfriends dad :D

ill check that out, thanks.

Had a similiar situation with an Austrian girlfriend :-) best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

1huge1 wrote: »
    Had a similiar situation with an Austrian girlfriend :-) best of luck

Did she like basements?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

rmacm wrote: »
    Did she like basements?

Shaking_head.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SHANAbert

Do any of you know if its possible to sit in on the German lectures? Am in the same boat as the OP with a German girlfriend. I'd even be interested in starting a stammtisch if there was interest.

Talk to Andreas Damm http://www.ul.ie/llcc/andreas-damm/ but I'm not too sure on that one.

There is already a German society at UL (though a lot of us have been on coop this semester just gone by so expect it to be a bit busier come september).

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SHANAbert

A German society is exactly what i've been looking for. I couldn't find anything about one in UL through google! Have you a website link or any info on the society when it meets when ye are are back and such? Cheers

Was kind of a small enough thing that started in September 2010 with about 15 members, I only ever went twice but should be attending more during my final year which is about to start :-)

I'm almost positive there was a facebook page or maybe it was an email sendout, anyway talk to me in September and I will know more.

and how important is the level of german? like im going into 4th year, so im wary of taking on more work, but still very interested....however i havent used my german (which i barely passed in the LC) since 6th year!

still though all sounds promising!

• Advertisement

SHANAbert wrote: »
    Am in the same boat as the OP with a German girlfriend.

I had to come back and make sure you didnt say "have the same problem as the OP" :p

that would have been funny :D

Advertisement