Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you use a Sky+ HD box without HD

• 25-07-2011 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

My 2nd sky+ box is one of the originals (not sure of the make or model) and is basically knackered.
    I was looking on ebay and adverts.ie to see what I can get for a replacement.

Question -
    Can I replace a non-HD box with a HD box without a HD subscription - I just want to get the most up to date box.
    Or is the software/epg incompatible?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

yeah you can, i had a HD Sky+ box at home and when i moved out my sister took this one and replaced her standard box with my HD one and it worked fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

HD box is a major improvement on the Sky + box even without a HD tv. The software is much improved and 250gig of storage will keep you going for a while.

Try calling Sky for an upgrade - you may end up with a pretty decent offer, especially if you threaten to move to UPC.

The only disadvantage is if you use anytime much. As nearly all the content is in HD it is basically worthless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

greendom wrote: »

The only disadvantage is if you use anytime much. As nearly all the content is in HD it is basically worthless.

Hi,

I have Sky+ at the moment (with Sports), its acting up and was looking at getting a 2nd hand Sky+ HD box

Are you saying that "Anytime" on the replacement box wont show standard non HD content in "Anytime" ?

Seems very strange that this is the case.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭John mac

if there is a film (in HD or SD) on the any time menu and you do not subscribe to the film package you wont be able to watch it.

or if a program from Nat Geo sd is on you wont be able to watch it unless you have nat geo

if a program from Nat Geo HD is on you have to have both nat geo and a hd sub.

eeeerrrrr.....

I wont have any HD packages and only intend to view Free to air HD

I have sky subscription and Sky sports

I am not bothered if I cant see the Sky HD programs as long as I can see the standard SD equivalent I am happy...

The free to air stuff is a bonus to me

• Advertisement

Hi,

I have Sky+ at the moment (with Sports), its acting up and was looking at getting a 2nd hand Sky+ HD box

Are you saying that "Anytime" on the replacement box wont show standard non HD content in "Anytime" ?

Seems very strange that this is the case.

At least 90% of the content stored in anytime is in HD, If you don't have a HD subscription you won't be able to view it.

bummer, I was hoping to get a Sky HD+ box 2nd hand and use that to view Free to air aswell as my standard Stuff....

bummer, I was hoping to get a Sky HD+ box 2nd hand and use that to view Free to air aswell as my standard Stuff....

Well if you have a subscription you will still be able to use the much increased storage capacity to record as on your sky + box. The epg is much improved also.

greendom wrote: »
    Well if you have a subscription you will still be able to use the much increased storage capacity to record as on your sky + box. The epg is much improved also.

true and I can still see free to air HD suff..so prob worth it

Advertisement