Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shorts, mits and Tour de Picnic

• 25-07-2011 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭

Firstly, I signed up last week to cycle to Electric Picnic, 57miles. I have started training for it. But my bike was stolen recently so have been training on an exercise bike. At the moment, I am cycling 20 miles in an hour. It is 5 weeks to EP. So I really need to step up my training over the next few weeks.

I think I need to buy a bike, some shorts and mits? I don't have a lot of money to spend on all the gear maybe 500 euro. I can also avail of the government cycle to work scheme so factor that in.

Am I best getting a racer bike? I really don't know.

P.S I tried to look at this threads wiki but it wasn't working.

Any help no matter how small is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

We use the metric system in this country. :pac:

I would get the bus, your new bike will probably get nicked from the EP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

Raam wrote: »
    We use the metric system in this country. :pac:

Really helpful. :cool:

I presume you are joking about the getting nicked? Or have you previous experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Ah I'm just grumpy today. Personally I wouldn't bring my bike to a festival, but maybe yours will be OK.

Well, it is part of Tour de Picnic, so the idea is that you cycle down, raise money for charity and they look after your bike for the weekend and bring it back to dublin.

BTW if you feel you were harsh (which you were) and I am extremely hurt, you could sponsor me for the cycle. PMME. Any amount helps. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Raam wrote: »

Yes a road bike (racer) of some description would be ideal. Is the 500e including the bike to work scheme or is it 500e plus whatever savings you can make with the scheme? If so what's your actual total budget.

You could get a carrera virtuoso from halfords for roughly 400e (I think) and that would leave you enough for some extra gear but ideally you'd want to be spending a bit more. I don't know what the story is with minding bikes at electric picnic but if you plan to use this bike for getting around after the picnic you should also probably factor in the cost of a good u-lock (at least 50e).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Gingaling

The lads that organise Tour de Picnic do a training spin every Tuesday at 7pm from their shop (2wheels) in Sandymount. They have bikes you can rent too - I think it's about €15 a day, but they do the cycle to work and if you're looking to buy from them eventually they'll probably let you take a few on a test run.

Yes a road bike (racer) of some description would be ideal. Is the 500e including the bike to work scheme or is it 500e plus whatever savings you can make with the scheme? If so what's your actual total budget.

You could get a carrera virtuoso from halfords for roughly 400e (I think) and that would leave you enough for some extra gear but ideally you'd want to be spending a bit more. I don't know what the story is with minding bikes at electric picnic but if you plan to use this bike for getting around after the picnic you should also probably factor in the cost of a good u-lock (at least 50e).

Thank you very much for a good response. The 500euro, is what I can afford to spend. So I think with the cycle to work scheme you can get a third off. So lets just say 600 is the max I can spend on the bike and then I have 100 for accessories. Plus I can also get 10% for being a student in JJB who also do bikes

I really want to buy it asap as the last bike I had was a mountain bike so I read that it takes a while to get used to the difference in posture.

Gingaling wrote: »
    The lads that organise Tour de Picnic do a training spin every Tuesday at 7pm from their shop (2wheels) in Sandymount. They have bikes you can rent too - I think it's about €15 a day, but they do the cycle to work and if you're looking to buy from them eventually they'll probably let you take a few on a test run.

Thanks but I think I am interested in buying it asap as I need to get used to one bike for the next five weeks.

Yeah I heard about the spin they do in Sandymount as soon as I get the bike I am going to try and go on one.

Also, how unhygienic is it keeping your bike inside the house??? :s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭leftism

Raoul wrote: »

Well you're not likely to contract cholera from it if thats what you're worried about... Unless you've a fetish for cycling through dog crap on a daily basis its not a big problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

If you're averaging 32 kph on a non-road bike, I wouldn't worry about the training.

• Advertisement

If you're averaging 32 kph on a non-road bike, I wouldn't worry about the training.

Yeah but that is me wrecked, like totally out. Unless its only 20km that I did. But the first bike machine I used said I was going 15 mph, so I presume it is right.

I am a fit enough person in general, play a good bit of sports. Just think it will be tougher outside. Really want someone with expertise to recommend me a bike and shorts. Or even on the shorts and mits front just say roughly how much to pay (thinking 30 for shorts and 15 for mits). I seen ones in argos muddyfoxes but reviews are slightly mixed.

Raoul wrote: »

Where else would you keep it? My girlfriend and I keep our road bikes in our room. There are four bikes living in the house actually and the crappy commuter bikes go in the shed.

32kph on an exercise bike doesn't necessarily translate to 32kph outdoors but still, if you're managing 32km at a decent pace then 57km shouldn't be too much of a stretch. They say you should be able to to ride in a day what you comfortable ride every week. This isn't a very scientific measurement but it's usually a reasonable benchmark.

Where else would you keep it? My girlfriend and I keep our road bikes in our room. There are four bikes living in the house actually and the crappy commuter bikes go in the shed.

Thanks. Think this is what I will be doing in future. Really appreciate the help. any other suggestions on bikes? I really can't tell what is a good bike and what isnt and what is value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

On the cycling forum you are odd if you do not keep your 20 bikes in the house.

Bib shorts here. I like Santini brand.
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/list.asp?typ=typ&ID=5&so=3
    They do not have all sizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Don't worry about the mitts and spend the extra money on the shorts.

Whatever you do, don't buy a bike from jjb sports - go to a bike shop.

Get two water bottles - one for water and one for buckfast.

You'll be grand, I've heard it's very leisurely with a stop every 20km and a great way to get a free electric picnic ticket ;)

Don't get white / light coloured bib shorts. You might reveal more than people want to see.

The shorts look great. But to be honest, I can't afford to spend 70 euro on them.

I hate to keep annoying people, but I am really looking for a bike recommendation. It is really hard to sift through all the crap on the net and find a good one that is available in Ireland, so was hoping maybe someone here knew of a good deal on. (I am an avid BA thread fan, so I love my bargains).

Thanks for the advice so far.

Bikes at Wiggle and Chainreactioncycles start at about €600+.
    Halfords are a bit cheaper (for cheaper makes.)
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_categoryId_212536_langId_-1

You need to know the bike size you want, and the features.

I don't know what features I want, utterly clueless.

I am 5ft 9, so I presume I want a medium sized bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

You'd probably be looking at 58cm in a road bike then.

http://www.adverts.ie/bikes/2x-road-bikes-for-sale-claud-butler-felt-f95-and-coopi/740780

The second bike there (coppi) looks like good value.

Or this :

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/gentsbicycles/2373446

Personally I'd get a pair of cycling shoes before buying any other cycling apparel.

The first bike is too tall for me. The second one looks good. Will have to see what is the story with buying a second hand bike though with the cycle to work scheme.

Second hand isn't going to happen on the BTW, new only...

Are you sure it's too tall? I'm only slightly taller and 58cm is beginning to get small for me.

studiorat wrote: »
    Second hand isn't going to happen on the BTW, new only...

Are you sure it's too tall? I'm only slightly taller and 58cm is beginning to get small for me.
    I am not sure at all!! ha I just looked up a guide and it said that it was too big and I should be looking for around 56cm.

Will probably go look in halfords at the weekend and see about that bike for €400, seems a good bike and is reasonably affordable.

Can't go wrong for the price. If you can get the Carrera Vanquish with a decent price reduction you should go for it.

Can't go wrong for the price. If you can get the Carrera Vanquish with a decent price reduction you should go for it.

Vanquish is 620 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 allyano16

I did this last year and it was fairly simple even after my 3 weeks of "cycle training" on a MTB (max 40k):). You only need to be averaging about 20-25km/h... Some people finish in 4 hours some in 8 hours either way the build-up as you close the gap on Stradbally, hearing the music from far away and thinking of cracking open that first can after a well deserved cycle will get you the line...

I borrowed my mates racer for the event. I saw lads on tandems, some on High Nellys a few lads dressed as ladies and the likes, its not a hard slogg, I would say more of a fun run for cyclists... there are loads of snack/water stops and nobody is in a rush. Just take it easy and enjoy the ride and talk to people cycling beside you, if all else fails go to the back of a bunch of cyclists and let them lead leaving you laughing in the slippystream...

You'd probably be looking at 58cm in a road bike then.

Although it varies according to leg/torso proportions and some people prefer an oddly sized bike, for 5 foot 9 54-55cm is probably the correct frame size.

Although it varies according to leg/torso proportions and some people prefer an oddly sized bike, for 5 foot 9 54-55cm is probably the correct frame size.

Looks like I can't avail of the Bike to Work scheme. So looks like I will be going for the Carrera Virtuoso. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Has anyone did this before having travelled to dublin the night before? I am coming from Athlone the night before but am trying to sort out how I will get to the starting point from the city centre where I will be staying at minimal expense. I have contacted the organisers and they have told me that they have no transport arrangements in place for people coming up the night before to get to the starting on the morning.

So at the moment I am thinking of staying in rathmines and cycling to tallaght!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

You could cycle out to Tallaght. Should take 45mins - 1hr from town. 30mins if you're fast. Where is the exact start point? They're pretty cagey about it on the website.
    Where is the starting point for the cycle?

The starting point for the cycle will be Dublin 24.

If you have alot of bags and a tent you could book a taxi. But make sure you tell them beforehand that you are taking a bike. I'm guessing €20-25 to Tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

neaideabh wrote: »
    So at the moment I am thinking of staying in rathmines and cycling to tallaght!

A short enough journey. I'll have an hour of cycling done when I'm passing Rathmines on my way to it :)

Advertisement