Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 6

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭NoobSaibot5

If Leon and Chris are catering to the fanboys here by being the stars, then we need at least ONE game where Jill and Claire take the lead. Juz sayin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

If Leon and Chris are catering to the fanboys here by being the stars, then we need at least ONE game where Jill and Claire take the lead. Juz sayin.
    I think we all approve of this message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Mr. K wrote: »
    Actually, she might be dead. Did I read something about Chris being in bad shape after some loss?

Perhaps it was referring to Jill.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭NoobSaibot5

But if Jill was dead, Chris would do what he done in the last game and hit the steroids. We'd know she was dead because he'd literally be twice his size in Resident Evil 5.

Although, it could be possible. Perhaps the P30 chemical she was administered was carcinogenic or toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I don't think they are gonna go with the whole 'JILL IZ DED OMG' story again.
    Thought Jill is the most glaring omission of this game that I can see.

Also, we got a fair idea of what happened to Sherry in RE3.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Still no date for windows release?

Apparently there will be a demo come September for the consoles. Might not be worth waiting for the windows release afterall. But then again, it depends on how patient I can be :pac:

Couldn't have imagined playing through RE4 or 5 on pc. I think the analogue sticks are too important.

Putting a demo out in September seems pointless unless they think they'll have to push the release back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

So was playing RE4 HD Mercenaries last night and also still cant put down RE:R Raid Mode, love it.

Playing these got me thinking, since there is '3 stories' (Leon, Chris & Weskers kid) in RE6 will there be a Mercenaries AND Raid Mode in RE6?

Or will they go down the root of releasing these online or on seperate disc like with RE:M 3D?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Playing these got me thinking, since there is '3 stories' (Leon, Chris & Weskers kid) in RE6 will there be a Mercenaries AND Raid Mode in RE6?

Or will they go down the root of releasing these online or on seperate disc like with RE:M 3D?

I'd say we'll only get Mercenaries initially, but Raid Mode could be released as DLC. Capcom love their DLC! In fact, I'm surprised Mercenaries is on the disc at all...

Yeah, they are nearly as bad as Activision now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Wow, very heavy on the action.
    Is Michael Bay directing this now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Aquila wrote: »
    what platforms will this be on?

Platform(s)PlayStation 3
    Xbox 360
    Microsoft WindowsXbox
    ps3
    pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Can't say I liked how he changes weapons, very PS2 era and sloppy. The guns just appear in his hands. A handgun morphs into a shotgun on the fly, very lazy animation. Res 5 was better than this. And don't say it will change in the final release, it won't. The gore also seems very toned down or off for E3. When a zombie is shot there is little to no effect, damage or blood. Yet other games featured heads being blown off, SC, The Last of Us, Far Cry 3 etc.

Form the E3 gameplay vids I have cancelled my preorder of this. Bargin bin game.

Survival Horror is dead. Even look at Dead Space 3 but at least they kept the quality in that and can clearly be seen. Res 6 looks like a rush job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

^RE6 looks like another rushed job.

the graphics is fine but this is totally not longer 'survival horror'. too much actions. not sure about it really. been a long time since I had fun from RE since RE4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

seraphimvc wrote: »
    the graphics is fine but this is totally not longer 'survival horror'. too much actions. not sure about it really. been a long time since I had fun from RE since RE4.

Resident Evil hasn't been survival horror since RE4. Even Nemesis was leaning towards 'action' with big weapons and jump-scares outnumbering ammo conservation and atmospheric fear.

RE6 can't be judged based on the merits of RE1, 2 and 3.

RE4 is still scary as fck! the atmosphere and everything, albeit the enemies are little bit more agile than previous games (well nemesis was like that). RE5 just doesnt give me the feeling of a RE game at all and for 6 they merely use the RE character names in it.

RE4 is still scary as fck! the atmosphere and everything, albeit the enemies are little bit more agile than previous games (well nemesis was like that). RE5 just doesnt give me the feeling of a RE game at all and for 6 they merely use the RE character names in it.

If you think RE4 is scary, you need to get a hold of REmake and a Gamecube.

i do. i have every RE games. RE4 on GC the effects (the mist etc) are better than ps2. saying RE4 scary =/= saying RE0/1/2/3/VC are less scary, RE4 may be the least scariest in them while i played 5 like i was playing gears of war.

RE6 now has the distance counter for you in game to the destination. way to take out the tension.

• Advertisement

Agreed that the GC RE4 was miles better, but with the pacing of the game, the action orientated gameplay, the linear environments and the arsenal in your back pocket, it was hard to feel scared after leaving pueblo.

The few times I died playing the game were from not responding quick enough to the quick time events, rather than being defeated by enemies or running out of ammo/health.

^RE6 looks like another rushed job.

I dunno, the Leon piece looks class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Capcom announced a new mode called Agent Hunt. Eurogamer link

Unlocks after you finish the game, and has one person play normally while others take on the role of a monster in their game, player doesnt know which enemies are human or not.

I dunno....could be good, asymetrical/invasion play worked really well in the Souls games (Demon/Dark) and Left4Dead VS mode. Might bring a bit of tension to the game as you have no idea if there is an enemy round the corner or not, something I didnt felt in RE4+5 after a couple of playthroughs "oh....bad guy here, 2 round the corner, 3 jump down from the roof ......NOW.....Hunter appears behind the door.." Imagine going into a usually safe room only to have a human controlled Licker drop down on top of you...and then his friends burst in.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Capcom announced a new mode called Agent Hunt. Eurogamer link

Unlocks after you finish the game, and has one person play normally while others take on the role of a monster in their game, player doesnt know which enemies are human or not.

I dunno....could be good, asymetrical/invasion play worked really well in the Souls games (Demon/Dark) and Left4Dead VS mode. Might bring a bit of tension to the game as you have no idea if there is an enemy round the corner or not, something I didnt felt in RE4+5 after a couple of playthroughs "oh....bad guy here, 2 round the corner, 3 jump down from the roof ......NOW.....Hunter appears behind the door.." Imagine going into a usually safe room only to have a human controlled Licker drop down on top of you...and then his friends burst in.

Sounds good on paper, but I find these game modes are usually short lived. Especially since everybody wants to be the 'hero' character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Sounds good on paper, but I find these game modes are usually short lived. Especially since everybody wants to be the 'hero' character.

The only issue I find is that when you're playing a 'baddie', they do tend to be very underpowered compared to the 'hero'/good characters, meaning that you're often just brief target practice, then waiting to respawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Online stat tracking service: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-14-resident-evil-6-has-a-call-of-duty-elite-style-online-stat-service

I usually look at stat tracking services once, marvel at the amount of data they record, then forget they exist. Still, it's good that it's free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

The Guardian have nice things to say.
    Resident Evil 6: how Leon Kennedy will exhume survival horror
    We get hands-on time with Capcom's latest zombie thriller and discover that Leon's portion of the adventure is a chillingly effective paeon to the original Resi Evil titles

Resident Evil 6: Leon faces some old familiar foes in his story, which carefully references the first and second games
    Resident Evil is back. No, I mean really back. While Resident Evil 4 changed the old recipe in a brutal yet considered way, the fifth title seemed to mangle the whole franchise into a sub-standard sun-burned shooter. Resident Evil 6, however, wants to have its slice of undead gore cake and eat it.

The game's interesting structure follows three sets of characters on three very different quests through a zombie-infected world. There's Chris Redfield breaking out the blast-'em-up action in China, while Jake Muller, son of Resi antagonist Albert Wesker goes on the run in Eastern Europe in a sort of action adventure romp. And then there's Leon Kennedy, back in the US and facing his own infected outbreak in the traditional Resident Evil form. Having played a section of his story, it seems Capcom has truly rediscovered the essence of the survival horror genre.

In this section Leon and his partner Helena must escape from a college campus where a zombifying gas has infected just about the entire student body. As soon as the demo begins it's clear this is classic Resident Evil fare. We're in a dingy cellar room, poorly lit and filled with rubbish. Leon's footsteps echo loudly and every once in a while a strange noise makes him flinch and look around. Was it a cry? A growl? We don't know, but our view of the room is restricted and the tension cranks up.

So up the creaking steps Leon goes, out into a corridor, littered with more trash and smeared with blood. We're back, at least in terms of dense atmosphere and crushing inevitability, to the mansion in Resident Evil 1. And I might be over-reading it, but I'm sure the way that Leon slowly pushes each huge wooden door open is a reference to the old loading screens between locations in the first title.

Leon makes his way gingerly into a tiered lecture theatre – bathed in shadow and seemingly deserted. Then, suddenly and subtly, a drink can rolls down the steps onto the central floor. Immediately from the gloom, a zombie rises, then another. It's game on. Leon has a handgun, as does Helena, but – guess what – ammo is in very short supply. The one concession to modern tastes is the melee element: while in the first Resi titles taking on a zombie in hand-to-hand combat was always a nightmarishly risky endeavour, Kennedy is a high-kicking hard guy, who can knock the undead down then quickly stamp on their fetid faces. There are also short QTE sequences, allowing more devestating and visually impressive attacks.

As an AI character, Helena tends to hang back prefering to avoid and shoot, rather than wade in with blows. It's a good idea, meaning that she never puts herself into unncessarily risky situations.

As monsters are disptached, Leon picks up skill points, which can be used throughout the game to upgrade characters and weapons. Rooms also contain herbs and bullets, as well as useful pieces of information. Leon and Helena don't talk much, but they trade theories as they move. In the background a discordant organ soundtrack plays, or there's silence punctuated only by breathing sounds.

Cleverly, although it's a 3D environment with a dynamic camera, there's still an angular, expressionistic feel to each room, like the weird fixed camera angles in the first Resi titles. Often objects or shadows restrict your view, or you'll catch glimpses of movement through doorways – Capcom has remembered how to be subtle and artful; how to use the tricks of Hitchcock and Romero to hint at terror while restricting our ability to properly see or deal with it. At times when groups of zombies come in, I often get stuck trying to turn Leon between the undead aggressors, and far from being a flaw, it once again takes me back to the tension and vulnerabiity of Resident Evil 1 and 2.

Outside, the campus is crawling with the undead – we need to open a security gate but the key is in a staff house and when we go in, zombies suddenly mount an attack on the building crawling in through the windows in a reference to the classic stand-off scene in Resident Evil 4. It's bloody, nerve-wracking stuff, and when we finally grab the key, it's all bout navigating through the darkened landscape to get to that gate and to freedom.

From here, there's a great denoument. Leon and Helena dive into a police car and screech away, heading for a cathedral, until another zombie attack sends the car spinning off the road. This is how Resi has always worked – slowly but surely building the atmopshere to firestorms of destructive action. I can't wait to see the end-of-level monsters in this one.

Best of all, I love the way this level plays with the memories and expectations of longtime Resi fans. It's not only those door-opening sequences; there are also sections that comment on how the first games made you run through the same sections time and time again; only here, new zombies awaken to make the return trip more dangerous. It also looks as though zombie dogs will be back, no doubt smashing through windows and giving us all heart failure once again. Everything is both familiar and new. It is marvelous fun.

It will be fascinating to see how all this fits together. Apparently each of the three sections is its own adventure, though the stories interconnect. They're all around ten hours long, and finishing them unlocks an extra Ada Wong story, which itself is another ten hours. On top of this, there are multiplayer modes, as well as a new social layer, RE.Net, which compares player stats and achievements, and lets you unlock extra costumes and other goodies.

I played Leon's quest in single-player, and it'll be fascinating to see if the old skool fear is retained with a co-op partner. It's the same thing people are worrying about with Dead Space 3, though here it feels like co-operating is subservient to the main motivation – trying to get out, trying not to be eaten, trying not to be scared. Resident Evil has always been about the terror of transmogrification and decay – it was at its best when it did this in a mannered, manipulative way. Leon's story is hitting those same old nerves, those same fear points. We are residents of evil once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

has anyone ordered the "No Hope Left-Special Edition" version of the game
    Ordered it in ,my local gamestop start of the month, very happy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

October release date? Cannot wait!

"There's something wrong with this mansion..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

October release date? Cannot wait!

"There's something wrong with this mansion..."

Yeah when is this out? The date was pushed forward a few months back, but to what?
    In Smyths they have it down for a September 2nd(I think) release, but other places say a October date.

Anyone confirm the date please?

Advertisement