Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercise classes

Options
  • 25-07-2011 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I'm moving back down to Galway for University in September and was planning on joining a gym...but really all I want to do is the gym classes..
    (spinning, aerobics etc..)
    I'm never really going to be using the other facilities like the treadmill, cross-trainer etc.

I'm a student at NUIG so was considering joining Kingfisher but I feel it is quite expensive for what I'm looking for.

Anyone know any other alternatives around the city???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

hi, i moved to galway about 3 months ago. i go to the gym a lot so i was eager to find a new one up here. keep in mind i work out and rarely take classes but here's my opinion.

i got a trial day in the kingfisher(don't give them your real number, they've been hounding me to join ever since). i have no experience with the classes but they gym in itself was WAY to busy. especially the weights room, you'd spend more time waiting for everything that you would working out. i would not reccomend it. however i do not know what the classes are like and you may get a cheap price for being a student(they are overpriced otherwise)

I then joined NRG fitness on bohormore. they gave me a good deal, the place is NEVER that busy, even at peak times, you get membership to another gym in galway(knocknecara i think?), they have a large pool, the equipment is good and here's the part you would love: all their classes are free to members. i have only taken one of them, a spin class and it was great. you would have to check with them for a full list of classes but from memory they have aerobics, spinning, zumba and more. i would highly recommend them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

If you aren't going to use the gym in Kingfisher, can't you pay a little extra to do the spinning and aerobics classes only?I know a few people who pay something like a fiver do the weekly spinning classes and they aren't members.However,I think that members get priority,which during the academic year probably means that there's very little (if any) space for non-members.
    Besides Kingfisher,NRG Bohermore is probably a good alternative for what you're looking for.However,I reckon they are more expensive and depending on where you are living it could be a pain in the ass to motivate yourself to go to,especially during the cold winter months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

EyeSight wrote: »
    (don't give them your real number, they've been hounding me to join ever since)
    Request that they remove you from their call database, they have to legally if you make it clear you no longer wish to receive any correspondance. It's probably some poor stump on an internship on the other end of the line so do be nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 High Hopes

If your a student in Kingfisher all the classes are a fiver. They have six week classes that you pay a lump some for, I think the prices are very reasonable.

Advertisement