Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling Mechanical Course

• 25-07-2011 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi there. Just wondering is there anywhere that teaches the basics of cycling mechanicals? I love cycling but am terrified of getting punctures etc as despite watching youtube videos on how to repair them I am simply brutal at it. My DIY skills are astonishingly bad.
    I have gone on long cycles and even done a couple of sportives but I am always terrified that I will end up getting puncture or some other mechanical mishap. I have puncture resistant tyres and all but always chance of getting one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Rothar run courses, but I strongly discourage people messing with their bikes, especialy if they arent handy with a spanner already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

There are videos of youtube that'll teach you how to do most of the basics. Also sheldon brown and park-tools are great online resources.

You shouldn't be too worried about taking your bike apart (provided you're appropriately cautious), just take note of how it was originally and how it came apart so you can put it back together properly (even take pictures or video) and use a torque wrench if you're working with carbon. Also, don't take something apart until you understand what it's supposed to do and what it's supposed to look like, I've seen an awful lot of crappy mountain bikes on adverts with the forks on backwards and the like, you don't want to end up in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it. Will check out youtube again and look into course with rothar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

just learn from the internet as things need fixing, also asking here for mechanical help is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

For punctures.
    1. Get small patches (slimmer than the width of the tube). Big patches are a pain.

2. Around the hole, make sure you sand paper an area slightly bigger than the size of the patch you intend to apply.

3. If the patch is going over a ridge in the tube, sand down the ridge.

4. Apply solution sparingly. but enough to cover an area greater than the size of the patch, not a big blob. A thin layer.

5. Wait for 5 or 6 mins so its looks dry. THEN apply the tube..(this bit seems counter intuitive but it's much more effective than putting on a lorry load of solution and applying the patch to a goopy mess).

6. Put pressure on the tube with your thumb for a bit. I usually give it a few hours to dry before reinflating, but you don't have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

Right thanks. Basic question I'm sure but when do you know to repair tube with patch etc and when to put new tube in? Also on point six pete do I put pressure on the area of the tube that had the puncture? Finally is a rear wheel puncture much more difficult to repair? Excuse my ignorance but I'm a beginner at all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I mean just press down on the patch. The only thing more difficult about a rear puncture is putting the wheel back on. It can take a few goes to get your head around the rear derailler. Just don't force anything if its not going in right. Best to practice at home and so you're not stuck out on a spin.

If I'm out on a spin, I put a new tube in if I get a puncture. I bring the punctured one home and repair it then. Then I use the repaired one as the spare. I usually put 5 or so patches in a tube before dumping it. Some people just throw out punctured tubes, as they can be bought for as little as €2.50 online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

I mean just press down on the patch. The only thing more difficult about a rear puncture is putting the wheel back on. It can take a few goes to get your head around the rear derailler. Just don't force anything if its not going in right. Best to practice at home and so you're not stuck out on a spin.

If I'm out on a spin, I put a new tube in if I get a puncture. I bring the punctured one home and repair it then. Then I use the repaired one as the spare. I usually put 5 or so patches in a tube before dumping it. Some people just throw out punctured tubes, as they can be bought for as little as €2.50 online.

SAVE THE WORLD, PATCH YOUR TUBES:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I patch my punctured tubes,could have 6,7,8 patches on a tube,I dont care,sure the air stays in and no one know its patched up to hell and back!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pprendeville

GLueless patches are the bomb. MUch faster. Also come in nice small convenient package 30mm x 30mm x 7.5mm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Mr. Skeffington a poster here would fix your bike and teach you while he did it
    Not sure if he is still around though but you could drop a quick pm

Based in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

thereturn wrote: »
    Right thanks. Basic question I'm sure but when do you know to repair tube with patch etc and when to put new tube in? Also on point six pete do I put pressure on the area of the tube that had the puncture? Finally is a rear wheel puncture much more difficult to repair? Excuse my ignorance but I'm a beginner at all this.

Rear wheel used to scare me too but it's easy!

Change gears to the smallest sprocket at the back.

Turn bike upside down (don't scratch it and make sure it's stable)

Open skewer

Pull back the rear mech - you won't break it

Light the wheel out and prize it out of the gap with the chain.

Fix the puncture - new tube if on the road.

Put it back together in reverse. back sure the wheel is moving freely between the brake pads and not rubbing on the chain stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Niall Davis

Howdy, more bike maintenance classes here, catering for different levels and disciplines also.
    http://www.biking.ie/bike-maintenance-classes

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

chakattack wrote: »
    Rear wheel used to scare me too but it's easy!

Change gears to the smallest sprocket at the back.

Turn bike upside down (don't scratch it and make sure it's stable)

Open skewer

Pull back the rear mech - you won't break it

Light the wheel out and prize it out of the gap with the chain.

Fix the puncture - new tube if on the road.

Put it back together in reverse. back sure the wheel is moving freely between the brake pads and not rubbing on the chain stays.

And make sure to disconnect the brakes before removing the wheel if you don't have disc brakes! Most brakes have quick releases!

Advertisement