Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC, €1000, need final assurances

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Not bad. What about OS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

I've got a bunch of free Windows 7 keys from the MSDNAA from my time as a CS student.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Cheaper PSU that will run everything just fine:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30069&agid=1628

You can used the money save to get more RAM:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44319&agid=1192

Might be worth considering a nicer case with that budget. Maybe this:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38379&agid=631

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

+1 on getting the 8GB Kit G.Skill RipJaws-X.
    It's better RAM and 8GB would future-proof your machine, for only €16 extra.

Ok, I ended up ordering this, adding the RAM and case deconduo mentioned, dropping the SSD, and getting an MSi card instead(the XFX one I wanted seems to have been removed). But, it seems I can't transfer the money to HWVS- my online banking with Permanent TSB won't accept sort codes and bank account numbers as long as those I got in my confirmation email. Anyone else used permanent TSB with HWVS?

• Advertisement

You need to use the IBAN and SWIFT codes as its an international transfer. The sort codes only work if you are transferring from a bank inside germany.

Ah right, thanks, I thought that alright. For some reason they won't let me make an international transfer either, I guess I'll have to head to a branch tomorrow.

Actually, screw it, I'm chickening out of this, I'm scared of spending this much money on anything and scared I'll **** up installing the CPU/GPU(I ordered the HWVS build option).

Can I explicitly cancel the order or if I just don't transfer any money will they forget about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭jack888

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    Actually, screw it, I'm chickening out of this, I'm scared of spending this much money on anything and scared I'll **** up installing the CPU/GPU(I ordered the HWVS build option).

Can I explicitly cancel the order or if I just don't transfer any money will they forget about it?

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

they will cancel the order in 2 weeks if they don'y get the money
    but you shouldn't be so scared, it's really not that bad and there plenty of people on here who can help you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I hate to be that guy......... But HWVS wont install the CPU heatsink or GPU incase the y get damaged in the post . But I wouldn't worry they are easy to install . The GPU just pops onto the slot and can only go in one way and the heatsink has 4 legs that pop into 4 holes and then it locks .

blobby360 wrote: »
    HWVS wont install the CPU heatsink or GPU incase the y get damaged in the post ... The GPU just pops onto the slot and can only go in one way and the heatsink has 4 legs that pop into 4 holes and then it locks .

I know that HWVS leave those components for the customer to install, and despite your assurances I'm sure I'd find a way to screw it up. I should have done all this anytime in the last two years, when I was housesharing with three people who had built multiple PCs. I wouldn't feel safe with it, the GPU alone is €256, there's no way I could handle that with confidence.

I guess it's more the money that scares me. It's basically a quarter of my entire bank balance gone in one fell swoop, even though in my new job I'll make it back in a couple of weeks. My want for owning a desktop doesn't outweigh my fear of spending that amount of money. I barely play games anyway because I'm awful at them, and if I wanted to start that's just more expense on a continual basis. No, I'm chickening out of this purchase for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I know that HWVS leave those components for the customer to install, and despite your assurances I'm sure I'd find a way to screw it up...

I'll do it for you. Gratis. :)

I'll do it for you. Gratis. :)

That's nice, but no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

HWVS wont install the CPU heatsink or GPU incase the y get damaged in the post ... The GPU just pops onto the slot and can only go in one way and the heatsink has 4 legs that pop into 4 holes and then it locks .

I know that HWVS leave those components for the customer to install, and despite your assurances I'm sure I'd find a way to screw it up. I should have done all this anytime in the last two years, when I was housesharing with three people who had built multiple PCs. I wouldn't feel safe with it, the GPU alone is €256, there's no way I could handle that with confidence.

I guess it's more the money that scares me. It's basically a quarter of my entire bank balance gone in one fell swoop, even though in my new job I'll make it back in a couple of weeks. My want for owning a desktop doesn't outweigh my fear of spending that amount of money. I barely play games anyway because I'm awful at them, and if I wanted to start that's just more expense on a continual basis. No, I'm chickening out of this purchase for now.
    Well if are not going to buy a pc now, I would suggest doing some research on building so that when you decide to start your build there won't be a fear of breaking anything .

Well if are not going to buy a pc now, I would suggest doing some research on building so that when you decide to start your build there won't be a fear of breaking anything .

I already know how to build and have watched plenty of videos, but judging by past experiences with similar things and my own clumsiness, I don't think I could physically do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭jack888

I already know how to build and have watched plenty of videos, but judging by past experiences with similar things and my own clumsiness, I don't think I could physically do it.

Dont be such a pussy.

Its not hard, its actually hard to break anything.

jack888 wrote: »
    Dont be such a pussy.

Its not hard, its actually hard to break anything.

I am a pussy, not much I can do to change that now. Your advice is appreciated though.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

get a 3rd party to hold your money, if someone turns up with your computer built and running, they hand over the cash.

Get the parts over and accept an offer of a free build. You're an awful messer ;)

I've built plenty of computers. If you're in Dublin I'll happily build it for you.

• Advertisement

I already know how to build... but... I don't think I could physically do it.

Yet you refuse my offer...

There is something wrong with you.

Clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The money on components usually doesn't worry people when they start to think about the rate of depreciation.

If the cost worries you, spend less and buy for your needs - analyse what these needs are and measure them. When you have more confidence in a year or two you can go all out and buy more advanced items.

Hold off on the SSD. Get one 6 months down the line. That way, you'll get that SSS 'wow' factor after getting used to running form a Hard Disk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

What an odd thread!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I hate to be that guy......... But HWVS wont install the CPU heatsink or GPU incase the y get damaged in the post . But I wouldn't worry they are easy to install . The GPU just pops onto the slot and can only go in one way and the heatsink has 4 legs that pop into 4 holes and then it locks .

They installed my GPU ( 460 ) and heatsink ( CM TX3 ) but i heard of them not installing some stuff before

nuxxx wrote: »
    They installed my GPU ( 460 ) and heatsink ( CM TX3 ) but i heard of them not installing some stuff before

What was the standard of the build like? Was everything cabled up correctly and sensibly? Did everything work out of the box?

Advertisement