Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym in Blackrock Area

Options
  • 25-07-2011 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hey guys, will be doing my Masters on the Blackrock Campus (Smurfit).

1) How long is the commute between main campus and blackrock by foot or by bicycle?

2) Which is the best gym to join, one that is the closest and cheapest. All I need is free weights and some machines. No pool etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

elixx wrote: »
    Hey guys, will be doing my Masters on the Blackrock Campus (Smurfit).

1) How long is the commute between main campus and blackrock by foot or by bicycle?

About 15-20 minutes by Bike, about 30-40 mins by foot

2) Which is the best gym to join, one that is the closest and cheapest. All I need is free weights and some machines. No pool etc.

Crunch in UCD is cheap but the equipment is old and it is going once the new centre is finished. Ben Dunne is opening a gym in Sandyford, which is about 15-20 minutes by bike but I don't know how much membership would cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Is it really 15-20 minutes on a bike? I thought it would be faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Is it really 15-20 minutes on a bike? I thought it would be faster.

It all depends on the route you take but it is generally 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

What you need is ironside gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 elixx

I'm thinking about Ironside, its 35 euros a month.

How much is UCD Crunch?

Also, how much would bus fare be between UCD Bellfield and Blackrock?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I'm thinking about Ironside, its 35 euros a month.

How much is UCD Crunch?

A lot less than 35 euros a month! I'm not sure what the student rate is, but it is 189 euro for staff between now and next April.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

A lot less than 35 euros a month! I'm not sure what the student rate is, but it is 189 euro for staff between now and next April.

That's true it is very cheap but, as a member, there's a reason for that. In fairness, its pretty crap. You can get so much more in a better gym for only a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Ironside ( literally across the road from Smurfit )
    - Great gym, good equipment etc

Or Bluepool- 25 mins walk / 10 min cycle / Number-4 bus door to door.
    Larger than Ironside space wise + Has a pool. Only really useful if you like to swim.

Personally i'd be a member of Ironside, if i did not like 20 foot from bluepool.

But sure, try both out and see what you think.

Also: as mentioned above Ben Dunne and Crunch are options...

... options i personally would not consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

UCD Crunch is 175 for student until next April. It would be about a 20 minute cycle from Blackrock as it's on the Clonskeagh side of the campus.

unknown13 wrote: »
    About 15-20 minutes by Bike, about 30-40 mins by foot

15 - 20 minutes by bike from Smurfit to Blackrock Village? Try 2 minute walk...

• Advertisement
Advertisement