Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community Centres with wheelchair access

Options
  • 25-07-2011 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭

I am the Support Worker for a person with a disability and I was wondering, if there are any Community Centres in the Ringsend/Pearse Street/Sandymount area of Dublin.

It needs to be wheelchair accessible, with hopefully a wide range of activities, such as photography, bowling or wheelchair football.

Thanking you :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

You might be better of looking for a day service rather than a community centre. What is the nature of the disability?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Contact http://www.iwasport.com/ for details of sporty options

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

panda100 wrote: »
    You might be better of looking for a day service rather than a community centre. What is the nature of the disability?

I only know the one in the Old Meath Hospital, but that's too far away from where the guy lives.

Anyone with ideas about a day centre in Dublin 4? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I only know the one in the Old Meath Hospital, but that's too far away from where the guy lives.

Anyone with ideas about a day centre in Dublin 4? Thanks :)

It really depends on what the disability is. For example, Headway have a day centre in Donnybrook, but its only for those with Acquired Brain Injury.Likewise,there is a day centre in Donnybroook for those with mental health disabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

panda100 wrote: »
    It really depends on what the disability is. For example, Headway have a day centre in Donnybrook, but its only for those with Acquired Brain Injury.Likewise,there is a day centre in Donnybroook for those with mental health disabilities.

Due to legal reasons, I'm not allowed to post details about the guy's disability.

Anyway, I was talking to him earlier, ideally there should be either the DART around or the LUAS, since his powerchair won't really fit into a bus.

We heard about the CRC though, did anyone make any experiences with them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Suzybie

Try St Andrews Resource centre in Pearse St, or e CYMS in Ringsend, St. andrews in particular may be able to advise you on local activities not just in their centre, there are older peoples clubs which may be of interest to the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allquestions

Try getting in touch with the Family Resource Centres. I live in Donegal, and our local one, the Mevagh Family Resource Centre has wheelchair access, a lift and a whole variety of classes, courses and social activities/groups in it. There might be something similar near you.

Advertisement